Dev's New Build

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev Posted: Sun, Jul 19 2009 7:23 AM

Ma budget is extendable to €600 (£500) but I won't change anything unless I can be show there is at least a 20+% impact on gaming. I will be buying from 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/

It is a British competitive e-tailer who've done well by me in the past. 

Components that can be used in the next build

Case: Antect Sonata II

Power Supply: Enermax Liberty 620 Watt

Hard Drive: Seagate 250 GB

Componens to be replaced

Motherboard: Asus A8N SE

Processor: AMD San Diego 3700+

Graphics Card: Sapphire X1900XTX

The reason I'm upgrading is that while the X1900XTX has served me well, its performance in Crysis has determined it is time to move to the next card. I will either sell the used components or give them to a friend. All I'm looking for is any suggestions or alternative or anything I may have overlooked. Maybe some suggestions on Coolers for the CPU either. I may check if the motherboard allows overclocking first.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

while the 4870 is a good card, I would def suggest you save room for an aftermarket cooler in there. That thing gets hot and the fan gets loud especially in Cyrsis.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

nelsoncp21:

while the 4870 is a good card, I would def suggest you save room for an aftermarket cooler in there. That thing gets hot and the fan gets loud especially in Cyrsis.

Very hot. Great cards though. Looks like a great system.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,462
Points 46,930
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Mon, Jul 20 2009 12:36 AM

AMD will vouch for the CPU, I am sure!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Yup, he would!  He's tearing it up.  I got that board for my parent's computer, however I have not overclocked on it, but I have seen others using it for overclocking.  Cooling wise, it depends on what you want to do as far as overclocking.  If you want to push it to the max on air cooling, then I would recommend either the TRUE or the Megahalem.  Both are top of the line with Megahalem being the best of the best.  If you want to save some cash, you could go with the Tuniq Tower 120, which I highly recommend and personally use, however it is gigantic compared to the other two.  It would take 3rd in my book for cooling.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Fri, Jul 24 2009 7:32 AM

nelsoncp21:

Thanks for the heads up on the aftermarket cooler. I actually have a copper Zalman on my X1900XTX, its a generic graphics card cooler so it should fit and its pretty quiet and keeps my card much cooler than the stock one that came with it. 

Has anyone heard rumors about being able to unlock the a forth core from the CPU I mentioned? I'm curious to investigate the matter. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

You can on certain ones.  AMD did a bunch of research on it and I forgot what he claimed the code name had to be.  I've read that you need a board that has the feature called ACC.  I can check on my parents computer if it works and get back to you later...Also the newer cpus are apparently less likely to work than an older one.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Dev:
Has anyone heard rumors about being able to unlock the a forth core from the CPU I mentioned? I'm curious to investigate the matter. 

As far as the 720 I think its rock solid and I have acheived a 3.8 clock from a stock clock of 2.8.Not intirelly stable yet but I,ve got some new settings Im gng to try after I get me a new cooler! I also think that  certain models of theGigabyte  and the Biostar will let you unlock the fourth core I would have to go back and find this info but Im pretty sure both of them will so far not on my Asus YET ! But Im gng for over 4ghz if possible on Air we,ll see. Been under the weather quite a bit here lately been seeing doctors more than my Rig unfortunatly and I promise I like my Rig more than the doctors. Besides they been taking my money for my moniter and my cooler and that isnt funny at all! LOL Good luck on your build Dev!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Dev:

Dev here is some info re: unlocking 4 th core on the Phenom 720 hope it helps you it gives you info re: which boards are capable of  doing this .Including Asrock,Gigabyte and Biostar.

AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE unlocking guide

link:  

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-corner/amd-phenom-ii-x3-720-unlocking-140859.html

It appears the Phenom 720 code name Denab and the Hekka will unlock, I have the Hekka and it also gives you certain run numbers on the 720 Good luck!

Sorry guys for the double post!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS