Gaming Mice

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
bob_on_the_cob Posted: Thu, Jul 16 2009 10:21 PM

Ok so I have been using a Microsoft wireless lazer mouse for a few years. When Circuit City closed down I went in looking for deals and I found a Logitech G5 for $45. Not a super great deal but I got it because I had been wanting a new mouse for a while. A week later Amazon had a sale for the G9 for $50Angry 

Anyway the mouse is not working right. A short in the wire is my best guess. It will stop working alltogether for a few seconds. The little DPI lights even go out. A few seconds later it comes back and I hear the Windows new hardware sound and the mouse is set to the medium DPI setting as if I just plugged it in. One of the guys in my TF2 clan said the same thing happened to his MX518. I'm going to give logitech a call, but I was reading around and they usually just send you a new mouse, but they want you to fax a copy of the receipt. Which I didn't keep because I got it from the CC closing. 

Anyway My guess is that I will have to buy a new mouse. I was just wondering what you guys use and how you like them. I really like the way the G5 feels and the on the fly DPI settings are a must. I hate the cloth cord though. It kinks very easily and is way to stiff. Stiff to the point where if I let go of the mouse it will slide down my mousepad from the cords pressure. 

I was thinking of maybe the G7 because it's just like the G5, sans the cord, but my 2 month old logitech headset's mic has just died earlier this week leaving a bad taste for Logitech in my mouth. IDK maybe I am just hard on stuff. What I really want is the Razor Mamba, but I can't justify that cost. Anyway sorry for the essay, basicly just looking for a new mouse.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

I have the Lachesis (with the Destructor Surface) right now. It's really precise and accurate, and I find it comfortable although some often say it's the most uncomfortable mouse they've ever used Angry It's cable isn't made of cloth (this is the first time I've heard of a cloth cable Surprise) and it doesn't tangle. The only thing I don't like is the extreme sensitivity of it when I play sound through my speakers. The mouse cursor move around because of the bass which can get annoying, but is easily solved by turning down th DPI on the fly.

I think you should go for the Deathadder (or the Mamba if you're willing to take the plunge Wink). The Deathadder is apparently the most comfortable Razer mouse out there, and features a "right handed design", and on the fly DPI tweaking. I assume you are right handed so it will be perfect for you. Basically the Deathadder is the same as the Lachesis but has a more ergonomic design and only has a maximum DPI of 1800 (while the Lachesis has up to 4000). And the Adder doesn't have onboard "Synapse" memory.

What surface do you have? (They can really make a difference) A cloth surface is supposed to work well with the Adder, like the Razer Goliathus.

So, I think you should go with the Deathadder or the Logitech equivalent (as a last resort Stick out tongue). The Deathadder is $60 at the Razer store so I think that's pretty reasonable for a very good mouse. Big Smile

Tank

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 355
Points 5,870
Riks replied on Fri, Jul 17 2009 8:30 AM

yeah i used to think the cord on the G5 was really annoying but i guess i'v got used to it, i'd go with another G5 if your not put off but then again i don't really like wireless ones

also did you ever use the weights that come with it? 

always thought they were a bit pointlessSmile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

@tanka I use Ratpadz XT. It's a hard plastic slick surface. I agree that a good mousepad makes a huge difference. I would love to have the mamba, but I'm not really willing to spend that much on a mouse. I'll look into the Deathadder.

@Riks I did use the weights when I first got the mouse because I am used to a heavy mouse because of the batteries in my wireless one. I don't use them anymore, but they helped me get used to a lighter mouse. I do really like wireless mice, but the gaming mice arena is rather bare. It's the mamba or the G7. The G7 looks cool. It's basicly the G5, but without the cord. Comes with two batteries in the shape of the weights on the G5.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

sorry to hear about your mouse Bob. I think your the 1 who convinced me to get the G5 which I love by the way. If you took all the weights out that may be why the cord moves it cause mine doesn't budge at all with weights in it and I use a ratpadz too. If your only real complaint about the G5 is the cord then I think you would be happy with the G7 honestly. The only thing that I have had from logitech go bad are my speakers or 1 of my speakers anyway. Thats after them being 3 years old too so I can't complain much. How long have you had the mouse?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I got the mouse around Jan-Feb. Whenever CC was closing. I do love the mouse, It feels great and I enjoy using it. Up until it stopped working on me.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

The XT looks like an awesome surface (and they'll even buy it back from you if you don't like it Surprise). Now you just need a Deathadder to go with it Stick out tongue

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

tanka12345:

The XT looks like an awesome surface (and they'll even buy it back from you if you don't like it Surprise). Now you just need a Deathadder to go with it Stick out tongue

Yeah the XT is a great mousepad. I have had it for well over a year with no wear what so ever. I have not tried the GS, but I the XT is well worth every dime. The one issue I have with the deathadder is no on the fly DPI settings. I play a good bit of Team Fortress 2 and going from scout to sniper is impossible with the same DPI.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

bob_on_the_cob:

Anyway the mouse is not working right. A short in the wire is my best guess. It will stop working alltogether for a few seconds. The little DPI lights even go out. A few seconds later it comes back and I hear the Windows new hardware sound and the mouse is set to the medium DPI setting as if I just plugged it in. One of the guys in my TF2 clan said the same thing happened to his MX518. I'm going to give logitech a call, but I was reading around and they usually just send you a new mouse, but they want you to fax a copy of the receipt. Which I didn't keep because I got it from the CC closing. 

God, you're not even going to try?...Quitter...No

Stick out tongue  Seriously though, give em a call and find out.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

bob_on_the_cob:
I play a good bit of Team Fortress 2 and going from scout to sniper is impossible with the same DPI.

To my knowledge does have on the fly DPI adjustment. Under features/specifications it says "On-The-Fly Sensitivity™ adjustment", so you shouldn't be worrying Big Smile And using the Razer mouse comparison chart HERE it says YES under On-The-Fly Sensitivity™ adjustment for the Deathadder.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

G5 or Momba get my vote

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

mentaldisorder:

God, you're not even going to try?...Quitter...No

Stick out tongue  Seriously though, give em a call and find out.

I'm going to come monday.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Sun, Jul 19 2009 6:11 AM

I'm not happy with the G5 build quality either. Yes the cable is annoying but with mine the mouse wheel broke and it works 90% of the time but if I'm unfortunate enough to touch the wheel at the wrong angle the rubber wheel rubs against rubber. Meaning that the wheel locks up. Very annoying in games where you are trying to change weapon or pull out a grenade. 

Other than the the mentioned issues the G5 is a fantastic mouse. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Dev:

I'm not happy with the G5 build quality either. Yes the cable is annoying but with mine the mouse wheel broke and it works 90% of the time but if I'm unfortunate enough to touch the wheel at the wrong angle the rubber wheel rubs against rubber. Meaning that the wheel locks up. Very annoying in games where you are trying to change weapon or pull out a grenade. 

Other than the the mentioned issues the G5 is a fantastic mouse. 

I haven't had one problem with mine.  Nor did I have a problem with my MX500, they are basically identical, except for the upgrades given to the g5.  I've had the MX500 for about 4 or 5 years and the G5 for almost a year.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Woot! Called Logitech and in a total of 5 minutes counting hold time I have a new mouse on the way. I told my story, he asked me if I had tried more than one USB slot and if I had setpoint installed. He asked me to read the s/n off the bottom and got my address. That was some awesome tech support.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

awesome. glad you got it resolved. I love happy endings

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Now that is what I like to hear!  Congrats to you!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

It's here already!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 355
Points 5,870
Riks replied on Thu, Jul 23 2009 6:03 PM

logitech ftw woot

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630
ClemSnide replied on Thu, Jul 23 2009 9:26 PM

Logitech is a quality company. I'm sorry to hear about your bad device, but fortunately I can't remember getting a lemon from them. They've always had solid products, not-too-expensive prices, and innovative features that people actually use.

For gaming, I like the MX Revolution 1000. I can map the buttons to assist my World of Warcraft play, and it's responsive enough so that I don't have to move it too far to get to the action bars. Plus I really love that clutched mouse wheel-- if you spin it, it doesn't ratchet until it's near the end of its freewheeling rotation. Nifty!

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 95
5ylver replied on Fri, Jul 24 2009 5:39 AM

The device may have sucked a bit. But at least they came through in just offering you a new one! Big Smile

I fear for my G5 though, it travels with me, and is used a lot. I have started to have odd problems with it, like it wil stop responding for a few seconds then come back. In fact, I am wishing more so that it is the mouse rather then my USB ports.

At least if it is the mouse I can get a new one from them, hopefully. Stick out tongue

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

bob_on_the_cob:

It's here already!

Great to hear Bob. Only reason I'm disappointed is that you don't have an excuse to purchase a Razer mouse now Wink

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS