Copying Steam apps for a fresh OS installation?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 628
Points 5,260
BebeX Posted: Fri, Jul 10 2009 8:44 AM

So, I'm considering a fresh W7 RC installation as my primary OS (have been dual booting with Vista 64 and W7 for a while, and am ready to take the plunge...I think).

All of my media is located on a separate HDD, and my docs are backed up, but my question is, can I copy my Steam apps folder onto a separate HDD in order to keep all my games and custom maps/mods etc for after the clean OS installation? Then just paste the whole folder back into the Steam folder when it's been reinstalled. I really can't bare the thought of having to download ALL of my games again after the new OS is installed... I have a few of the games on disc, so obviously that's not a problem, but it's just the games that I bought online. I don't want to download them again...

Thoughts?

-Ben

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,540
JeffB replied on Fri, Jul 10 2009 8:55 AM

Absolutely.  I've done it in Vista.  Steam will still validate the software, but not need to download it all again.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I actually do this all the time. I keep a back folder of my steam and copy it over to my laptop when I get a new game so I don't have to download twice.

Anyway just move it to where you want it on your new windows 7 install and then download the steam installer and install it to the folder that you just moved your old install to. It will install and yo will have all your games and such in place with save files and evrything. Only thing that wont stay in place is any theme you have for steam. It goes back to the ugly green.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 628
Points 5,260
BebeX replied on Sat, Jul 11 2009 7:44 AM

Excellent. I didn't think there'd be a problem, but copying program files can be a little iffy so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

-Ben

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Sun, Jul 12 2009 5:42 PM

BebeX, alternatively there is a steam backup feature. I can't honestly say there are any additional advantages over the already mentioned method so that probably was the best way . There are some caveats however backing up however doesn't carry across any saved game files, configs, maps etc. Basically the mentioned method is better in every sense. I wasn't aware steam would validate the files as I personally always used the backup feature. At least I know now though. :)

http://supportwiki.steampowered.com/wiki/Using_the_Steam_Backup_Feature

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Oh don't forget to check your documents folder in case any games throw saves in there.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 628
Points 5,260
BebeX replied on Tue, Jul 14 2009 10:27 AM

Thanks guys.

I'll make sure I check my documents too- i usually just copy that folder anyway, so any saved games files will be present in the new installation.

-Ben

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS