New PC build won't start

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze Posted: Sun, Jul 5 2009 7:29 PM

Hello

I'm posting this here because I'm guessing this is a motherboard problem.

I built a new PC about a month ago using the components in my sig. It was working fine up until yesterday.  There have been no hardware changes since being built.

The CPU, MoBo and RAM were bought for the new build.  The graphics card, HDD and PSU were taken from my previous PC which worked fine.

Anyway, onto the problem.....

When I turn on the computer, all the right lights and fans go on but the display remains blank and there is no POST beep or any other kind of POST result.

I have tried turning the PC on with all of the components removed in turn. (apart form the CPU) still no POST regardless of what's connected.

I have also tried swapping the graphics card with the same result.

On one occasion only, disconnecting the HDD power and data cables resulted in a POST reporting that the HDD wasn't connected (funnily enough).  But when As I say though, this only happened once.  Now it will not POST whether the HDD cables are connected or not.

I also tried a different monitor with no luck.

The HDD light is on constantly even when the HDD cables are disconnected.  The light is not on if the IDE DVD-R drive is disconnected.

All suggestions appreciated.

System (using Vista 32 bit)
CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 2MB L3 Cache
MoBo: ASUS M4N72-E nForce 750a SLI
Graphics: Palit HD3870 512MB graphics card
RAM: 2Gb (Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory CL4 2.0V)
PSU: Zalman 600W Heatpipe cooled
Drivers up to date and (if possible) updated versions of antivirus/spyware etc software run prior to asking questions

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Try using one stick or ram at a time in different slots. Remove the battery and unplug they system for a few minutes. Clear your Cmos using the jumper on the motherboard.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze replied on Mon, Jul 6 2009 6:34 PM

Hi Bob and thanks very much for replying.

I've been fighting with the PC since I got in form work.

Clearing the CMOS does work..... for a while.  After 1-3 reboots or so, I'm back where I started.

Clearing the CMOS again can get things working again but, even then, it can take a few attempts.

I only have one memory stick, but trying it in different slots doesn't make a difference.

Cheers

Drivers up to date and (if possible) updated versions of antivirus/spyware etc software run prior to asking questions

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Well, it sounds like its the board...It seems like there is something funny going on with the bios.  Did you try replacing the battery with a new one?

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 6:16 AM

Hi MD and thanks very much for your input.

I have not tried swapping the battery, hopefully the one from my old Mobo should be compatiable. I'll give that a go later. (I'm posting from my work PC at the moment so dont have anything to hand).

Mind you, when I was taking the battery out to reset the CMOS, I did apply comprehensive scientific testing to the battery (licking the terminals) and it seems to have a decent amount of power.

I've a multimeter in a toolbox somewhere so I can try that on it later to make sure the output levels are right.

Should I try updating to the latest BIOS or would that risk making things worse? Thanks:)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 240

Hello Daze,

I believe that you could have some problem with your motherboard. Did you check that ?

Regards

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 9:06 AM

Hi Gamemaniac.  Thanks for replying

The checks that i have done so far is to try to boot the machine with individual components removed, replaced or in different sockets (in all possible combinations). this is based on the truobleshooting page of my MoBo's manual.

I'm not very knowledgable about all this so I'm not really sure what other checks I could do.  I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks very much :)

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze replied on Tue, Jul 7 2009 5:55 PM

OK I've done a bit more messing around and I think (only think, still not certain) I've isolated the problem.

There are six SATA ports on the Mobo.  The problem with booting seems to only occur when you try to boot from the SATA1 port (which seemed the natural choice for the boot device)

That said, when I do get the PC up and running there is no problem with data transfer on this port, only initial booting.

So with SATA1 empty and booting with drive C in SATA2 everthing seems fine.

Nevertheless, I would still like to clear up whether this is a faulty board or there is some way of me fixing this.  I've paid for a mobo that should have six fully functioning SATA ports.  On a matter of principle thats what I should expect but cant be bothered uninstalling everything, going through ebuyer.com's returns procedure (again) and then reinstalling everything on the replacement.

So any advice appreciated.  As already asked, should I attempt a BIOS upgrade or even just reinstall the current version BIOS?

Cheers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

If there is a bios update, I would try it, however you don't want anything to happen during that process.  Like you said, I wouldn't be satisfied either had something not worked on my motherboard.  I don't understand what you would need to uninstall...do you mean the components or are we talking about windows and other software, in which case you wouldn't need to uninstall software because you'd be getting the same motherboard, thus using the same drivers...

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 1,360
Daze replied on Wed, Jul 8 2009 8:51 AM

Yeah, I was mainly meaning the components but there's also the hassle of arranging for the faulty one to be picked up and waiting for a replacement.  Plus I'll have to clean and apply new thermal paste to the CPU/heatsink which is something I've never done before. I've only ever attached new heatsinks with their ready applied paste.

I know a task like that is probably no big deal to the regulars on here but I'm just an occasional dabbler in these things.

Anyway, I'll fiddle about with it some more (the motherboard that is) and see how I get on.  I'll maybe get onto the retailer.  I'll post back if there are any more problems but for the time being, consider it sorted.

Huge thanks to everyone who replied:)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS