Shortcuts

new computer graphic card phenomenum

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
hurricane Posted: Sat, Jun 27 2009 9:24 AM

I bought a new computer falcon mach V, 6 gigs ram. 7i processor, nvidia gtx 285 card, to play everquest2 game.  The mystery is why this set up causes crashes to black screen. over one month of troubleshooting by manufacturer and Sony game tech's has not produced a clue..the computer was even shipped back and tested where they reproduced the problem but then it appeared to be fixed..which computer company attributed to a game update..but when we got the unit back yesterday it crashed to black screen after 3 hours of online game play.  this happens only with this particular game. we have tried every set up known , every setting on game , card, monitors known to no avail..anyone have any thing like this happen to them?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,540
JeffB replied on Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:09 AM

I just Googled "Everquest 2 Black Screen" and saw a bunch of hits.  This seems to be plaguing a lot of users with NVIDIA cards and EQ2 and no clear solution is available that I found.  I know this isn't much help, but it does lend itself to being a game/driver issue rather than a problem with your system.

Oh, and welcome to the HotHardware forums!

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
hurricane replied on Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:23 AM

thank you! I will keep up the search and keep this forum notified :)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Jun 27 2009 2:28 PM

To begin with I find it hard to believe falcon northwest would let you configure an I7 with 4 gigs of ram. This very well may contirbute to your issues. A Intel I7 memory controller runs in triple channel not dual channel, therefore your machine would need 3 gigs, 6 gigs, or 12 gigs in a 1, 2, 3 gig times 3 sticks of memory setup (which is what the hardware calls for). Another issue on this same line is a 4 gig ddr3 memory setups voltage requirements. These would also in many cases be different (as you would be using dual channel) from what an I7 calls for. Either Falcon really screwed up here; or you insisted on a 4 gig setup, thinking you knew better than what the sites configuration utility  tried to get you to buy.

As for this being a phenomenon I think it most likely has to do with 4 gigs messing up your board and therefore processors memory configuration. This would and will affect all operations of your computer. To repeat you need 3 6 or 12 gigs of memory in a 3 memory stick setup with an I7, the voltage requirements of your memory must also be within the usable guidelines for this setup. 

Machine name: rapid1
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) 
 System Model: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
 Memory: Kingston 6144MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
hurricane replied on Sat, Jun 27 2009 3:42 PM

thank you for your reply!

interesting, well I am not computer saavy ..I just asked them to build me a machine to play eq2 for my husband..oh and I was incorrect when I said 4 gigs that is my current computer the one in question is 6 gigs my aplologies!! Falcon has been great and I really like them I just think the card may not like the game or something to do with communication from card along with game and monitors..running 64 bit vista too but what is stange is it will run the game for many hours fine then boom crash to black and have to hard start..

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:57 PM

Yes the hard crash on Vista 64 I have seen and it was on Vanguard SOH which later release than EQ2 is still a Sony MMO. I would imagine on several ends it has the same performance bottle necks. The problem here with me seeing your hardware difficult it I use ATI graphics solutions. I updated my driver and have never had the problem again. So I would say since it doesn't happen to your pc on other games it is a GPU driver or operation problem specifically, and specifically with that game. I would both reinstall your GPU driver and your version of Direct X. One thing specifically with Direct X is I believe that is a Direct X 9 game but vista runs direct X 10. So download the most current version of Direct X 9 and install it. It will not erase Direct X 10 but works in concert with it from what I understand.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

When I played Vanguard, it was quite a glitchy game and it would crash the computer...I haven't had issues with other games, just that one.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
hurricane replied on Sun, Jun 28 2009 5:43 PM

thank you again, I did already download direct x 9 components that might possiblyu be missing from the direct x 10 that came with the computer, since EQ2 is a direct 9 game as you noted. The computer manu is sending out a totally diff card for me to try ..not a nvidia one..we will see ..I had just updated the driver since a release for the 285 gtx that  was on nvidia site released june 18th 2009  but it did not help..I will update after I try the diff maker card

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,796
Points 45,500
rapid1 replied on Sun, Jun 28 2009 11:10 PM

No Vanguard has been stable for at least a year now, They also just did a max level up to 55, and release a new player Island. Everything  dungeon and quest wise has also been released and stable for quite a while now. There have been a lot of updates since when you were speaking about. I have been on there off and on since Alpha. I did drop it for a few months and played Conan and Warhammer. But have been back for a few month's now and it all runs great (even on WIN Vista and 7 32 or 64 Bit. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 85
hurricane replied on Tue, Jun 30 2009 3:59 PM

Hi, I don't play Vanguard only EQ2.  The computer company is sending us an ATI card to try to see if we can isolate the problem to point to the Nvidia 285 and our current set up config with real play time not just a quick test..they had me send the computer back and they had it for couple weeks and reproduced the black screen but then it stopped and they attributed it to a game update GU 52 Everquest2 June 16 2009.  This was not however the case since when we got it back it still went to black screen after hours of play time.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Thanks so much for sharing the post.

pret auto

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS