Windows 7 Hard Drive & SSD Performance Analyzed

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,161
Points 1,185,490
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 28 2009 11:36 AM

Windows 7 is undoubtedly the most exciting new operating system to come out of Microsoft within the past decade--and with good reason. The user interface is superb, gone are many of the oddball Vista quirks, and the operating system is light and snappy, marking a massive 180 degree shift away from the heaviness and bloat of Vista. Despite the fact that it's based on many of the same core Vista elements, Windows 7 is a different beast, and should be looked at in a fresh new light.

As with any new operating system release, there are a lot of questions with regards to how it will perform on various hardware configurations--one of the more interesting ones being related to disk performance. So, today we're going to look at how various types of disks perform under Windows 7, both of the traditional platter based variety and new solid state disks. We're not only curious about how disk performance changes between the operating systems, but want to see if Windows 7's new solid-state specific optimizations and tuning give users even greater performance compared to Vista...

Windows 7 Hard Drive and SSD Performance Analyzed

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Thu, May 28 2009 12:01 PM

Downloading Windows 7 now :-)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

I want to install my Windows 7, but I'm not sure autocad will work on it...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Thu, May 28 2009 12:38 PM

you can always run it in compatibility mode. Or if it has that virtual XP up yet?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I got this crazy feeling you dont wanna run CAD in a VM.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Thu, May 28 2009 1:29 PM

i'm sure the slow down wouldn't be THAT bad lol....

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

Let me ask a really dumb question. If you have a SSD setup and the manufacturer releases an updated firmware version for the drive, do you have to reformat the entire drive and reinstall windows? Or can you update the firmware on the drive from within windows?

Sorry for being dumb, I had planned on contacting one of the manufacturers but thought I'd ask you guys first.

Thanks,

Philip

"...Marriage is the triumph of the imagination over intelligence..."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,065
ForumsAdministrator

Great comparo, guys! That pretty-much seals it for Vista, IMO.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,359
Points 48,655
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, May 28 2009 5:11 PM

fairlane32:

Let me ask a really dumb question. If you have a SSD setup and the manufacturer releases an updated firmware version for the drive, do you have to reformat the entire drive and reinstall windows? Or can you update the firmware on the drive from within windows?

The only dumb questions, is an unasked one...

To answer you, it depends on the nature of the update. Some maintenance releases do not require blanking the drive, but more comprehensive updates that change drive behavior may require blanking the drive.  It depends.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
fairlane32 replied on Thu, May 28 2009 11:33 PM

Marco C:

fairlane32:

The only dumb questions, is an unasked one...

To answer you, it depends on the nature of the update. Some maintenance releases do not require blanking the drive, but more comprehensive updates that change drive behavior may require blanking the drive.  It depends.

Thanks Marco,

I agree, no question is dumb, but I never know who is listening Stick out tongue You would think that manufacturers would try to keep from having to reformat the drive, even for major updates, but hopefully they won't happen too often, unless the update really makes the drive perform a lot better, otherwise it would definitely be a pain.

Philip

"...Marriage is the triumph of the imagination over intelligence..."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 225
Points 2,395
Kiristo replied on Fri, May 29 2009 3:29 AM

But SP2 just came out. That will make it better...right?

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 130

Yeah, but he said that 7 is like 180 degree shift from vista. I don't think that just SP2 will cover that shift.

But anyway, they have released it with one year license up to July 2010, hence it is up to you. Well, I am running 7 RC and so far everything is fine. Except, Daemon Tools, Norton and few more programs, which are having compatibility issues and I am not able to run them in compatibility mode as well.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,587
Points 54,890
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, May 29 2009 11:01 AM

We're actually planning a follow-up article that looks at both Vista SP2 and XP vrs Win7. Stay tuned!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

To replace daemon tools I have been using virtualclonedrive on windows 7. I have no CD drive on my laptop so it comes in handy.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Dave_HH:

We're actually planning a follow-up article that looks at both Vista SP2 and XP vrs Win7. Stay tuned!

Hi there,

then please include the Super Talent Ultra Drive with the newest firmware (1370) in this test/article, thanks.

regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
farooge replied on Fri, May 29 2009 5:13 PM

I have an Asus M50 laptop and bought a OCZ Vertex last weekend, here's my numbers with Win7(x64) after I upped the firmware (adding 'Trim' support):

Power button to log in screen: 13 seconds

Typing my password: 3 seconds

Desktop loaded and NO disk activity: 3 to 5 seconds

My computer is COMPLETELY loaded in no more than 21 seconds; everything is just SNAPPY!

I've been building computers for a LONG time and I have never (ever ever) gained so much of a performance increase from a single upgrade (and now that I think about it more - I've never completely replaced a computer and had anything close to this much noticeable difference)

I consider it the best $400 (shippiong and all) I've ever spent on a computer.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 130

That will be great. I just went through an article stating the performance of 7 with respect to Vista and it told alot of great things and I cross checked them on my system and found them correct.

Boot time and run time has increased significantly, but in that article (somebody from Microsoft Admin) I read that working and performance time in microsoft applications and few others have not changed quite much.

Is it really so? Because I couldn't feel much of a difference . . . well, I've got an old hardware though. It will be really helpful if you provide a significant comparison between vista SP2 and 7 RC.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 130

Does it work fine like Daemon Tools? I had problems mounting an image file with Winmount (everytime I would run setup.exe an error stating "can't read from source" would appear) but Daemon Tools mounted it perfectly and I could install the program smoothly.

Well, I had Vista back then. I'll try the software you mentioned, I hope it emulates the DVD-drive perfectly.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 130

That's great, I upgraded my system with 2gb Kingston RAM 800 MHz. I think that's why I can't see that much performance boost like you guys.

I've got ATI 200 Series motherboard, what do you think, which ram should I upgrade to?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
farooge replied on Fri, May 29 2009 11:17 PM

Or you, you know, the Super Talent a slow drive. (Sorry, but I'm pretty sure it is.)

The problem with the Super Talent (and all the others save the two exceptions) is with their controllers and random access times.  The throughput numbers that look so impressive in the advertising don't mean a hill of beans when you need to read 850 50k ones to display a screen.

The short message from a great review I read right before I ordered mine was basically everything he tested was completely unacceptable for daily use as a primary drive except OCZ's Vertex and anything Intel made - his suggestion was the OCZ and I'm glad I followed it. (I think OCZ has an even better one now...)

Office 2007 load time (it was the first time so it had to load the product activation wizard too): Umm, maybe 1/2 a second (max)

I LOVE this drive!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
farooge replied on Sat, May 30 2009 12:10 AM

A newer SATA 2 controller using the factory (vs Windows) drivers for it is also a recommendation for max speed (OCZ's documentation).

I'm pretty sure it's impractical to add Trim while saving your data. (Trim is important)

AND - at least with the OCZ drives, be warned: Upgrading the firmware is a pain if all you have with a newer SATA 2 controller is a laptop.  It has to be done on port 0, 1, or 2 (no ESATA) and if you only have one port (it's a laptop after all) you'll need to boot (into WINDOWS ONLY) from a CD or USB device.

I used a CD utility called "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" - you'll need a copy of XP to use it (it's software that builds the CD for you and not a Windows boot CD you can download)

Having said that, from everything I have read and experienced OCZ is a wonderful company that I plan on doing a lot of business with in the future.  As soon as the Win7 public beta really got started I have an upgrade/update that supports Trim before Intel on a drive that is just as fast and 1/2 the price.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator

kksonakiya said: "Well, I am running 7 RC and so far everything is fine. Except, Daemon Tools, Norton and few more programs"

Since Norton Will not run, maybe you should try a much better, free solution for yourself. AVAST anti-virus will work on Win-7, 32 or 64Bit.

A simple registration is required for them to send you an unlock code for the software.

They never SPAM you either.

Get it at: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,648
Points 104,085
MembershipAdministrator

kksonakiya said: "Well, I am running 7 RC and so far everything is fine. Except, Daemon Tools, Norton and few more programs"

Since Norton Will not run, maybe you should try a much better, free solution for yourself. AVAST anti-virus will work on Win-7, 32 or 64Bit.

A simple registration is required for them to send you an unlock code for the software.

They never SPAM you either.

Get it at: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 7,630

I have to admit that I am a Vista-hater, and couldn't imagine that 7 would be anything worth getting. (I like to say that Apple's warranty games with the iPod cured me of being a Mac evangelist, and Windows Vista made me one again.) It didn't help that 3Btech sold me an OEM copy for the price of a retail copy. After going from XP to Vista, I was ready never to try a Microsoft product ever again.

However.

I tried (with a little difficulty) putting the Windows 7 RC onto my secondary drive, a moderately fast Maxtor 160 GB PATA. Vista had been installed (with considerable difficulty, since 3Btech hid the ULi drivers and gave no information how to use them) onto a faster Western Digital 120 GB SATA drive.

Even with a slower interface and HD, the difference is as night and day. The computer boots quicker. Applications launch faster. The drive doesn't go into a seek frenzy. There are way fewer "Not responding" issues, though that's not gone away entirely. And they've fixed the bug where turning off the monitor causes the network to disconnect!

I'll soon be using Acronis Migrate Easy 7 to move the Windows 7 disk onto the old Vista disk, and will most likely see a minor speed improvement. But unless something drastic happens between now and the official release, I plan on buying Windows 7.

My only question with regard to SSDs is how the page swap file is treated-- since the things do wear out, wouldn't using virtual memory cause them to wear out faster? Or is that also taken into account in 7?

"I didn't cry when Bambi's mother was shot... but I cried when HAL was turned off."

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RJB replied on Wed, Dec 2 2009 2:39 PM

My super-talent 128Gb SSD is fast. CrystalDriveInfo reports TRIM in use. The whole computer runs like greased lightning.  I'm not a gamer but I hate waiting!  

Intel DG45ID motherboard, 8Gb DDR2 two channel PC6400 RAM, 3.0GHz Intel quad processor, Super-Talent FTM28GX25H SSD, GeForce 9500 1Gb video card, 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

I love the drive,  love this home built computer, and love Windows 7.  its incredible.

RJB

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Windows 7 is amazingly fast, and even more so on a Solid state drive (SSD). For a direct comparison between SSD and HDD you can check out the following link:

SSD vs HDD

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Tue, Mar 22 2011 10:27 AM

bchanman11:

tiny_mce_markertiny_mce_markertiny_mce_markerWindows 7 is amazingly fast, and even more so on a Solid state drive (SSD). For a direct comparison between SSD and HDD you can check out the following link:

SSD vs HDD

A lot of the information in that link is inaccurate and dated.

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS