Laptop Hunters Ads Adds Value (Perception)

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,923
Points 1,118,155
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 20 2009 10:00 AM
Microsoft's Laptop Hunters ads are making an impact on the perception of Windows computers vs. Apple computers in terms of value, according to BrandIndex.

That's been the key point in Microsoft's ads, that there are more choices and lower prices among Windows PCs. The data from BrandIndex shows that Apple's value score among the key 18 - 34 segment dropping since late winter to about 12.4 today. Meanwhile, Microsoft has risen from near zero in early February to a value-perception score of 46.2.

Ted Marzilli, global managing director for BrandIndex at consumer polling service YouGov said:

"Apple had a pretty big advantage, historically, when we look at our data. Apple did a great job of putting Microsoft on the defensive. It made them look old, stodgy, complicated to use and unhip. But Microsoft has started to hit back, and younger folks are more cost- or value-focused.

"It would be very unusual for Microsoft's score to be increasing this much and Apple's to be decreasing without some sort of event driving that, like a major campaign that's particularly successful."
Is it all about the recession? AdAge says no, because the numbers didn't really start to move in Microsoft's favor until well after the recession had become a dismal everyday issue.   So while Apple still has the clever Mac vs. PC ads, even firing back of late with the "Megan" ad, Microsoft has actually generated a "hit," so to speak.

It's hard to believe isn't it? Microsoft with a successful advertising campaign after all those failures (particularly the Bill Gates / Jerry Seinfeld fiasco)? OK, when are they going to blow it? Yes, yes, we are pessimistic, but Microsoft's campaigns have never been as successful as now. They have to be congratulated for finally producing something that's really caught the attention of those important folks, consumers.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Wed, May 20 2009 7:21 PM

>> That's been the key point in Microsoft's ads, that there are more choices and lower prices among Windows PCs.

Only because Microsoft hasn't entered the market as a PC seller, yet. 

Theyve basically made commercials touting a feature for which they are not responsible nor have any control over.  That makes me want a PC, but not Windows.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,484
Points 53,990
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, May 21 2009 12:40 PM

Hmm.... never looked at it that way. However, the OS a component cost of a PC, just not a large one. That said, when you consider R&D, perhaps it's a bit more valuable?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, May 21 2009 2:21 PM

I believe that Windows as a component cost is insignificant. Dell may pay as little as $30 for each OEM license in bulk. At least, that was the price difference for a Windows PC and a PC with no installed OS in the time of XP.

If they had to, Microsoft could give Windows away on new PCs for free. It makes monetary sense, when you consider the money it sets them up to make off of their upgrades, Office, developer tools, and business/server offerings.

Their installed base is a huge advantage. Access to the largest target audience draws the most software developers draws more audience draws... It's an incredibly tough nut to crack, even with a better product. Tougher still, when Microsoft offers incentives for sellers not to carry your product.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
xgpwru replied on Fri, May 22 2009 2:34 AM

>Their installed base is a huge advantage. Access to the largest target audience draws the most >software developers draws more audience draws... It's an incredibly tough nut to crack, even with a >better product. Tougher still, when Microsoft offers incentives for sellers not to carry your product.

Especially if they offer incentives. Intel is facing some tough regulatory actions against them just for this purpose. They practically wrote the book on being deceptive without anyone noticing. Lets also not forget the debacle with those Vista Capable stickers...

Suits against Intel:

http://government.zdnet.com/?p=4809

EU ruling against Intel Analysis:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/opinion/1137347/amd-versus-intel-actions-plus

Intel's history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Corporation#Competition.2C_antitrust_and_espionage

I know there is a book out there published by an ex Intel CEO with the co-title of "Playing under the radar" I cant find it, but this link will have to do:

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/CDN/News.asp?id=46163

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 224
Points 2,390
Kiristo replied on Wed, May 27 2009 8:54 AM

There point is a valid one. There is more variety/options in PCs and they are cheaper than Macs. MS doesn't make the PCs, so Acer, Dell, and the hundreds of other manufacturers should jump on the anti-apple band wagon as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 130

Well, I don't think that people or even my friends buy their computer because of these ads or anything. We just need more features without the need of compromising with speed and performance.

Mac is nice and everything but obviously it attracts different kind of people than Microsoft's. Just take me for the example, I already know about the features of Mac and Windows 7. And I am perfering windows 7 because I really like those glossy and hot looks that Mac is not offering and of course my friend is using Mac because he likes it sweet and simple.

Both of our system are running fine and everything with no compromisation. That ad thing is just a way to spread the word that the thing is out there to behold. But at last, it's our own choice to get what we need. And that's why ad campaign has nothing to do with it.

Vista was bad and it is a world known fact. But windows 7 is better than it and it's gonna be another world known fact.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,864
Points 24,270
digitaldd replied on Wed, May 27 2009 1:46 PM

I like the Microsoft laptop hunter ads, and the I'm a Megan retort from Apple. Wonder how much HP & Sony paid Microsoft to put their hardware in their ads?

Most funny thing about the I'm a Megan ad, when my GF showed it to me her Mac had a kernel panic. and we needed to reinstall, JOY!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS