Left 4 Dead Free To Play Via Steam This Friday

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,687
Points 1,206,950
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 30 2009 11:18 AM

Got big weekend plans? Oh, yeah? Cancel them. Starting on Friday (that's tomorrow, folks) at 12:01AM GMT -- which actually ends up being 8:00PM EDT this evening -- the PC version of the heralded Left 4 Dead will be available for a free 24-hour trial via Steam. That free trial will include access to the recently released Survival Pack DLC, which introduces a new multiplayer game mode and two additional Versus campaigns. Those who wish to give L4D and the Survival Pack a try may now pre-load everything needed to play with no obligation to purchase; for more information on 'L4D Freaky Free Friday,' you can visit www.steamgames.com.

On a side note, Left 4 Dead is frequently used here at HotHardware in benchmarking some of the latest and greatest gaming machines on the market, and while we'd definitely encourage you to indulge in a free day of gaming, you may want to avoid if you're known to cave in the face of awesomeness. In other words, good luck walking away once Friday's done.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Thu, Apr 30 2009 1:30 PM

I wish they hadn't scheduled it for the same free weekend as City of Heroes/Villians. :\

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,875
imAcpufan replied on Thu, Apr 30 2009 7:56 PM

Haha...I've wanted to get this game since trying the previous free demo.  I'll try waiting past this weekend before purchasing it...I have a lot of unfinished games waiting to be played due to school.  But....it is on my list for games to buy in the near future. 

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Who is excited? This guy thats who! I have L4D so if anyone wants to play friend me on steam bobonthecob is my friend ID, but My name is [HK] TheBob! Some of the random people are jerks, but I can always get a game together with some of the regulars on my TF2 servers if you want a friendly environment to try it out.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 100
Fudge replied on Fri, May 1 2009 1:34 AM

That's just cool stuff. I wanted to get this preloaded but realised my Friday is packed with work and travelling.. but still that's a very good choice from Valve.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 153
Points 1,875

No obligation to purchase; why didn't I listen to HotHardware's words of warning?  Right, I've started playing L4D, and now I see it's 40% off!  I wasn't planning on buying it right away....but...40% off :D  Valve, you know how to reel em' in.  All while making great games, of course. 

Now adding to cart on Steam, lol!

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Ha Ha yeah I read in PC Gamer that Valve gets something like a 3000% boost in sales on a game when they do the sales and free weekends.

It is on page 16 of the may issue. I can't find it online though :(

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, May 1 2009 1:40 PM

I was excited, so I tried it under Wine.

It worked perfectly.

But, as it turns out, THAT GAME SCARES THE HELL OUT OF ME.

Coming from a guy that's laughed his way through every Romero flick, that's somewhat of a ringing endorsement I suppose.  But no way am I going to buy it:  more fun to laugh at zombies from behind a counterstrike barricade while I mow them down with unlimited ammo.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

Well I liked the game so much and it was $23, so I bought it, so if anyone else got it, we should game some time!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS