rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 Posted: Fri, Apr 24 2009 7:08 PM

news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10226746-92.html

9.04 was released Friday, but the news didn't make the front page.  :\

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Downloaded it last night. Burning the CD now. Going to do a fresh install in a few minutes. I tried the beta, but I just couldn't get my graphics cards working right with the new version of X.org. I think that is fixed now though.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Apr 25 2009 10:10 AM

What kind of card do you have?  nVidia released a seriously broken (also proprietary and closed source) driver around 180.35, but things are much improved in 180.44.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Apr 25 2009 12:20 PM

Note to anyone else that wants to give it a try:  I think the Kubuntu derivative is much more "flashy".

The main Ubuntu distro is made to be simple and easy to use, so it uses the Gnome desktop.  Kubuntu defaults to using the KDE desktop - which has a billion more options (and could be confusing to just jump into).  KDE 4.2 has a much more advanced windows manager.  You can install Compiz on either of them to take things up a notch.

If you're already trying Ubuntu, you can install the kubuntu-desktop packages to add all the features you would get with Kubuntu.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I have 2 4870s. I already got 9.04 installed and compiz. I have wine installed to waiting on some games to download from steam. So far everything is running great.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

bob_on_the_cob:

I have 2 4870s. I already got 9.04 installed and compiz. I have wine installed to waiting on some games to download from steam. So far everything is running great.

Im downloading it on my friends computer now, because I like new Operating systems and heard good things about Ubuntu. So Ill copy it to my portable drive and use it on a P3 system my brother gave me just to see its capabilities and looks! Besides I love new software espescially if its FREE!Stick out tongue

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

amdcrankitup:

bob_on_the_cob:

Im downloading it on my friends computer now, because I like new Operating systems and heard good things about Ubuntu. So Ill copy it to my portable drive and use it on a P3 system my brother gave me just to see its capabilities and looks! Besides I love new software espescially if its FREE!Stick out tongue

Well worth the download. It should run well on the P3. IDK about compiz though.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Mon, Apr 27 2009 9:57 AM

I installed the jack-a-lope [great name, a fictional creature] on 2 laptops one one i had no network card thus no internet access, no problem I'll download the driver on another computer and install it on this one off a USB drive. I download the driver and go to the laptop the laptop tells me i need 5 dependancies to install the driver so i look for those and download about 100MB of stuff just so ic an install the NIC driver. Most end user will have no clue how to do any of that. Epic Fail. Yes i did boot into live mode first, but didn't think  installing a NIC driver would be so eventful.

The other laptop the install went pretty much without a hitch once i got the Nvidia drivers installed, which was easy since the NIC worked and I had internet access.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS