BFG Interview With John Malley On Phobos

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,918
Points 1,117,815
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 14 2009 9:54 AM

We recently had the chance to have a conversation with John Malley, BFG Tech's Senior Director of Marketing, regarding the company's recently released Phobos line of high-end gaming systems. We asked about the current state of the Phobos product line and its unique features and service options, and John also spoke about future possibilities for the company as well. Read on to see what John had to say about Phobos and why BFG thinks now was the right time to introduce such a system...

HotHardware: With the economy currently struggling, why would BFG introduce an ultra-high end, boutique system at this time? Wouldn't it have made more sense to start with a more affordable offering to gauge interest and build the brand?

John Malley, BFG Tech.: We started the Phobos project before the economy started struggling, and as we neared launch, we were fairly nervous. It was surprising for me to learn that some markets are actually thriving during times like these, and entertainment is one of those markets. According to Jon Peddie Research (JPR) the market for the overall segment of PC gaming hardware, which includes boutique enthusiast systems like Phobos, continues to grow despite all the media hype about the current economy being bad. Some of our competitors in this segment have recently reported their best sales months to date.

BFG Interview With John Malley On Phobos

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Tue, Apr 14 2009 10:55 AM

I am very disappointed that they do not plan to offer that delicious case separately. They seem to be neglecting the fact than many, if not most high end users with money to burn on high-end gadgets like to build things themselves. I would like to convey to BFG that I would be more than willing to pay around $600 for that case, possibly more if it included the nice slot loading drives and hardware/software controllers for the screen. Also, I would likely do so immediately upon it becoming available.

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,435
yoda8232 replied on Wed, Apr 15 2009 12:01 AM

You pay $600 bucks for that case alone?

Someones rich. :P

But honestly we don't even know what's inside and it's cooling capabilities are so we'll just have to wait.

Yoda8232
χƒιяє: yodagunit1
є-maιl: yoda8232@yahoo.ca">yoda8232@yahoo.ca

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 224
Points 2,390
Kiristo replied on Wed, Apr 15 2009 8:13 AM

I agree, it would be cool if they should the case separately..  Like he suggests, "graduated gamers" aren't all about windows and lights.  I went with the NZXT Zero for it's simple, yet regal look (and the 7 or 8 fans it has).  This is a beautiful case, and the touchscreen is nice.  It would be cool to have control over all of your fans via a touchscreen panel on the front of the case.  The NZXT senty is the next best thing I've seen, but not as cool.  I don't think I'll ever buy a pre-built system, I enjoy the building process/satisfaction of saving money and building it myself.  Plus, $3k?  I built my system for $2k, and it probably has similar if not better specs.   

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,435
yoda8232 replied on Wed, Apr 15 2009 9:12 AM

Same here I'll never buy a pre-made system it's so much better to build one yourself, you know what's going in and you can make it cost w/e you want for your needs.

Yoda8232
χƒιяє: yodagunit1
є-maιl: yoda8232@yahoo.ca">yoda8232@yahoo.ca

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS