83% Of Businesses Won't Go Windows 7 Next Year

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,210,040
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 13 2009 12:22 PM
Nothing here we haven't heard rumored before, but given just how concrete this data is compared to theoretical assertions of the past, we figured it prudent to pass along. A study that polled over 1,100 IT professionals recently found that a staggering majority of companies are likely to skip right over Windows 7 -- just like so many did with Windows Vista.

In fact, the results showed that an incredible 83% of enterprises plan to skip on over Windows 7 during its first year out, presumably to let those more courageous early adopters deal with the early bugs and security holes. The significance here is that if this proves true, a staggering amount of major companies will still be using Windows XP far, far after Microsoft expected. As it stands, Windows XP support is already looking to be shut off soon (save for on those netbooks that can't run anything more demanding), and now it remains to be seen if the suits in Redmond will keep on supporting or simply cut things off and force people to upgrade.

Looking further into the numbers, we also find that only 42% of these enterprises plan to shift to Win7 during its second year on the market, while 24% suggested that they'd probably wait until the third year. Of course, the current economy could be blamed for companies reeling back on software spending, but we honestly don't think that's the case. Ever since Vista hit the scene, companies have been increasingly wary about changing something that's not broken. If WinXP continues to drive their business efficiently, there's really no incentive to risk catastrophe by upgrading.

Early reports of Windows 7 have been far more positive than even late reviews of Vista, though, so we suppose hearts could change if the vibe from Microsoft gets even more positive in the run-up to the operating system's release. Analysts are wondering if a corporate hold-out on Windows 7 will further degrade Microsoft's market share, and frankly, we have our doubts. Companies ingrained in the Windows ecosystem aren't about to just switch to OS X or Linux willy-nilly. The worst case scenario in our view? Microsoft loses a few sales thanks to its own product, and the shift into Win7 is delayed a bit longer than Ballmer and Company would like. In other words, it's far from the end of Microsoft's world.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 6:11 PM

I don't think it's really any kind of special knock against Win7 if businesses don't immediately upgrade. I've never seen a "serious" roll out of a new version of Windows until *at least* SP1 was available.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Agree with 3vi1. The computers at work use Windows 98.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 7:16 PM

If they're running Win98... they might just be cheap. LoL!

It's one thing to wait for a new platform to become somewhat stable... it's another thing entirely when you run a production environment on an OS that ceased being supported three years ago.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 355
Points 5,870
Riks replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 7:30 PM

haha i installed 98 on a virtual machine to play old games.. it's like woo

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 7:34 PM

I still have my Win98 CDs from back when I had an MSDN subscription. I haven't booted it in a year, but it ran great under Qemu, as I recall. I was using it back when ClrMamePro wouldn't run under Wine.

replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 8:04 PM

Windows 7 is NOT really a major release. It is more like Vista R2. Or, Vista with all the nuances worked out and additional features. Just like MS did for Windows Server 2003. I don't see how these "IT Professionals" plan to continue using XP when it and the downgrade options to it on new PC's will no longer be available after June. When my clients order new PC's after June I will just have to switch to Vista and update Active Directory policies accordingly to accommodate them. In a thriving business computers need to be replaced or added from time to time and they will have to choose the lesser of two evils which at this point looks to be Windows 7. Microsoft has the metrics for Windows 7 in the wild and it has the highest number of users for any OS beta they have ever released by far. That's why they went to the trouble of showing 7 users how to upgrade their beta to the RC once it comes available.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,435
yoda8232 replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 8:31 PM

Depends how good Windows 7 is and what advantages it gives vs old OS's.

I've been playing with it and it's not a big difference (I never gamed on it yet), but my friend almost got double his score in 3DMark Vantage.

My theory is Windows 7 uses the drivers much better and takes full advantage of the hardware though I haven't really played that much with it.

Yoda8232
χƒιяє: yodagunit1
є-maιl: yoda8232@yahoo.ca">yoda8232@yahoo.ca

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 8:53 PM

>> Windows 7 is NOT really a major release.

I would love to agree with you there, but I'm not so sure that will be the case by the time it's released. When I first heard about it, it seemed pretty much equivalent to the jump from Win98 to Win98SE. Now, it's looking to be like it could end up hopping a bit beyond Win98SE, but still not to the Win2k level.

>> I don't see how these "IT Professionals" plan to continue using XP when it and the downgrade options to it on new PC's will no longer be available after June

The downgrade has been extended, and even Win7 will have a "Downgrade to XP" option, according to Microsoft.

>> and it has the highest number of users for any OS beta they have ever released by far.

Microsoft artificially caps the number of beta users by dictating the time the beta is available, so such numbers are unfortunately meaningless to us.

(COOL sig, btw)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,435
yoda8232 replied on Mon, Apr 13 2009 9:51 PM

Who's sig?

Windows 7 better do good or Microsoft will truly be on the path to darkness, good or bad?

Yoda8232

replied on Tue, Apr 14 2009 12:00 AM

>>The downgrade has been extended, and even Win7 will have a "Downgrade to XP" option, according to Microsoft.

Microsoft has extended the downgrade to XP option through April 2010 but companies like HP have not agreed to do this yet. As it stands our rep (we are an HP partner/Reseller) says that the downgrade option will end in June.

You have to consider the extra burden placed on OEMs in providing a downgrade option and the support that goes with it.

>>Microsoft artificially caps the number of beta users by dictating the time the beta is available, so such numbers are unfortunately meaningless to us

I dont get your point on this. If x number of copies are downloaded and activated compared to x number of previous OS betas it is easy to calculate the metrics.

• Filed under:
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Tue, Apr 14 2009 9:25 AM

>> I dont get your point on this. If x number of copies are downloaded and activated compared to x number of previous OS betas it is easy to calculate the metrics.

But what do the numbers mean? Many "normal" people weren't even aware of the limited Vista beta, and didn't you need an MSDN subscription to get the XP beta? The number of copies downloaded is a function of a) how much Microsoft promoted the beta in the media and b) the fact that Microsoft didn't enforce the original 2.5M downloads limit.

The numbers could indicate that there is increased level of broadband adoption as much as anything else.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,435
yoda8232 replied on Tue, Apr 14 2009 9:51 AM

That's because the beta isn't meant for the mainstream, just people with higher technology knowledge.

Yoda8232

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:

If they're running Win98... they might just be cheap. LoL!

It's one thing to wait for a new platform to become somewhat stable... it's another thing entirely when you run a production environment on an OS that ceased being supported three years ago.

Yeah, but they are not hooked to the internet and they run touchscreen micros software fullscreen so the only reason I even know that is from booting them up in the morning.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Where I worked over the summer they were switching from XP to Vista...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 136
Points 1,435
yoda8232 replied on Wed, Apr 15 2009 12:21 AM

At my work, a local PC repair shop Canampak Computers we have Vista, XP and even 7. Not to mention Ubuntu too. Do that so if a PC has XP and needs repairing we work with our XP machine and vice versa. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it. :)

Yoda8232

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS