Corsair Readying Ultra Fast 256GB SSD

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,157,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Apr 7 2009 9:37 PM

Corsair Shows Off New Tower Chassis At CeBITWe just received a package by way of Corsair that contained a brand new product we're certain many of you will be interested in checking out. Inside a non-descript, little, white box was a shiny Corsair-branded 256GB SSD (solid state drive), that the company will be releasing sometime in the not too distant future.

If you remember back to January, Corsair quietly launched a 128GB SSD. Like that drive, this new 256GB model features Samsung technology, but with a new controller and integrated cache that should offer significantly increased performance.

The drive we received is branded as a Corsair S256, but we've been told that when the drive hits store shelves the official product name will be P256--the "S" is changing to a "P". As we've already mentioned, and the product name implies, the drive features a 256GB total capacity, with SATA 3.0Gb/s connectivity, and a heavy-duty aluminum enclosure.

With the P256 disassembled, you can see the PCB and new Samsung S3C29RBB01-YK40 controller used in the drive as well as the 64MB of on-board cache memory. As you can probably guess, Samsung MLC flash memory is also used is the drive, and if you look close, you can see that the memory chips are double-stacked.

We haven't put the Corsair P256 through an entire battery of tests just yet, but thought you'd like to see some preliminary benchmark data to get your geek on. According to HD Tach, the Corsair P256 offers average read speeds just over the 200MB/s mark, with average write speeds of 169.1MB/s, .1ms random access, and a 248.2MB/s burst speed. Those are pretty impressive scores that compare very favorably with Intel's excellent X25, which falls victim to the Corsair drive in average write and burst speeds.

Expected pricing for the Corsair P256 is $749. We'll have a full evaluation of the drive posted soon, complete with all pertinent technical details, so stay tuned.

Update: Corsair sent word that drives will be shipping out to distributors this week and consumers should be able to purchase then by early next week.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,462
Points 46,945
ForumsAdministrator

It is really nice to see SSD technology get faster and less expensive! But at $749 this thing is in the stratosphere, price-wise. When something like this is available for under $200 then I will seriously consider a purchase. Anyone care to speculate when that might be?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah I have to agree. For the masses $100 might be the magic number, but I would consider it at $200.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,462
Points 46,945
ForumsAdministrator

I'm thinking it will be at least 5 years before something like this dropped below $200.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I would expect the prices to come down very quickly; in fact in 5 years I'd guess that we're likely to see 1TB SSD's below $200...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,354
Points 48,585
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Apr 8 2009 3:02 PM

There is SOOOOO much activity in this arena at the moment, I'd expect prices to fall sooner rather than later.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I agree completely...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Apr 8 2009 7:05 PM

Two or three years from now, at least in the consumer space, rotational media will have gone the way of the dinosaur. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Dave_HH:

Two or three years from now, at least in the consumer space, rotational media will have gone the way of the dinosaur. :)

God I hope so. There is a lot happening in this space right now. My only worry is that flash prices will rise with the new high demand.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,354
Points 48,585
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Apr 9 2009 3:20 PM

Just want to point out this post was updated with more specific availability information at the bottom of the text...

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,901
Points 24,515

Just an FYI this little sneak peak was mentioned on yesterdays Buzz Out Loud podcast from Cnet. I caught it on my way home from work today. They linked to Engadget's coverage and not HH's though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

digitaldd:

Just an FYI this little sneak peak was mentioned on yesterdays Buzz Out Loud podcast from Cnet. I caught it on my way home from work today. They linked to Engadget's coverage and not HH's though.

But Engadget links to us! I love Buzz out loud. I am a few days behind though so I have not got to this episode. Marcos reviews are in podcasts in magazines. When is your TV debut?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,901
Points 24,515
digitaldd replied on Fri, Apr 10 2009 8:47 AM

Engadget does that weird linktracking thing where all the external links go through their servers. Annoys the hell out of me, especially since you never know where they are sending you. I enjoy BOL and a few other podcasts which get me through my 3 hours commuting each day.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,901
Points 24,515
digitaldd replied on Fri, Apr 10 2009 11:14 AM

Almost TV coverage, as they are on TiVO.  Geekbrief mentioned this in their April 9th episode.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS