Oops! Gmail Goes Down For Extended Period

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,905
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Feb 24 2009 2:12 PM
When's the last time you remember your Gmail being down for longer than one or two seconds? And who's to say that glitch wasn't just your router acting up? Today, Google experienced a Gmail outage that was remarkably widespread and lengthy for its standards. It was so "severe," in fact, that the company actually made the outage public and pleaded for patience as it worked to put things back together.

Starting at around 9:30AM GMT today (or really, really early on the East Coast of America), Google's monitoring systems alerted the company that "Gmail consumer and businesses accounts worldwide could not get access to their email." At that time, the team posted that they were "working very hard to solve the problem and we’re really sorry for the inconvenience." In a rather admirable attempt to spin a negative into a positive, Google also took this opportunity to tout the merits of its just-released Offline Gmail feature, which -- honestly enough -- would have really come in handy during the hours-long outage

A Status Update posted on Google's main Gmail Support page said the following: "Many of our users had difficulty accessing Gmail today. The problem is now resolved and users have had access restored. We know how important Gmail is to our users, so we take issues like this very seriously, and we apologize for the inconvenience." Of course, Gmail is still in beta, so we suppose we can cut it a break this time, right?
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

I use Gmail, and I never experienced the outage. Must be the crazy time here in NZ compared to the rest of the world that saved me. :)

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

News:
Of course, Gmail is still in beta, so we suppose we can cut it a break this time, right?
Yeah totally expect this from such a new product.Confused

I never noticed this, being on the east coast, but that is kinda scary. Wonder what happened.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Wed, Feb 25 2009 9:21 AM

didn't even notice i mean it was like 4:30am where I am.Wink

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS