Smooth Creations LANShark Extreme Gaming Rig

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,465
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Feb 19 2009 1:30 PM

Since you are here, reading this and potentially some other articles and news about PC hardware, you've probably attended or at least heard of LAN parties. The main point of LAN parties is, of course, to play video games with your peers on networked PCs. Another fun aspect of LAN parties, especially big events like QuakeCon, is that you get to see all the cool, unique hardware that party goers bring. We're sure some people really get a kick out of showing up the competition with awesome mods and paint jobs.

Not everyone has the desire to mod or paint their own systems, though. That's where a company like Smooth Creations comes in to help you impress everyone who lays eyes upon your rig. Smooth Creations sells all types of custom PCs, including desktops and notebooks. As you may have gathered by now, we are going to focus on the company's LAN gaming system -- the LANShark.

Smooth Creations offers three different base configuration levels of the LANShark: Standard, Pro and Extreme. We received the LANShark Extreme for analysis in our labs. The "Extreme" configured LANShark is the most tricked out LANShark offered by Smooth Creations. It is without a doubt an extremely impressive looking system, complemented by equally impressive hardware components, including an Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 processor, a Western Digital Velociraptor hard drive, a Diamond Radeon HD 4870 X2 video card, 8GB of Kingston HyperX memory, and a complete watercooling system.

Smooth Creations LANShark Extreme Gaming Rig

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

What an awesome-looking rig! If only I could afford one...Sad

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Very nice indeed

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Definately a nice rig nice components including the raptor, 4870s, and ram!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Actually just ordered one of their LANShark Standards.  i7-920, DFI LanParty Jr X58, Radeon 4870 1GB (had to call for this, it is only $34 over the 512MB card), 6GB of DDR3 1333, Silverstone 750w PSU, 1TB WD HDD, ASUS DVD+R 20x Lightscript, Painted Logitech MX5500 Keyboard/Mouse, watercooling and a fully custom paintjob.  I'm getting a custom version of this, Randy is going to tell them to go wild.

http://www.smoothcreations.com/gallery.asp?specific=33

Price?  $1955, which is not much more then I could build the system for without the paintjob (All parts without paintjob come out to ~$1,800 without cables, case fans, and other small items).  I really like this company and will post up a review when it comes in.  Oh yea, and it is going to be feeding a HP w2408h monitor and some Logitech G51 speakers.  I iz Big Smile

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Must have pics!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

Mmm...PICS....Stick out tongue

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,248
Points 11,580

Relax guys, it is going to take a little while.  They just started cutting my case yesterday.  Then they have to paint it.  All in all, I was told it takes about 2 weeks for cutting, painting, building, and burn in.  I will actually have the desk all setup before it even gets here.

*Edit*
I did look at the case and mobo some more.  Guess I'll be ordering me another 6GB of DDR3-1333 ram (since it can handle 24GB) when I get the exact type they used (email sent) since that is only $120~$140.  I'm going to add a Logisys cold cathoid tube or two (blue or UV) to really bring out the paint job [since that is something from the artical that it lacked].  Finally, if possible I am thinking about sticking another HDD or two in there.  I just happen to have a G.Skill Titan 128GB sitting around (don't ask, I won't tell) and can get a second one pretty cheap.

What do you guys think, glowing blue, packing 12GB of Ram, 128GB (possibly 256GB RAID 0) [Note: these are internally two RAID0 64GB drives with dual controllers]  of SSD w/ 1TB of HDD Storage, a 1GB 4870, Coolit Pure on the CPU, OC'ed as far as reasonable, feeding a 24" LCD (maybe a second one, since I got several slightly smaller ones laying around), and getting sound out of a Logitech G51 speaker set.

Smooth Creations LANShark "Blue Flame" + ASUS G73JH-A2 + ASUS EeePC S101H

"I frag therefore I am!"

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sun, Mar 1 2009 8:54 PM

awesome looking computer, and case (as always). though, i think smooth creations should offer some variety for the video card.... some nvidia options? and some choice of the video card brand... some people dont have the best experiences with certain video cards *cough* *cough* offering 2 or 3 brands will be good, so some customers arent alienated.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS