Installed new cpu but got a problem!

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism Posted: Fri, Feb 13 2009 2:29 PM

I installled my new cpu but when i started testing the cpu it over heated cause my fan stoped working and automatically shutsdown usally i would here the fan run after 10 min into the application..but now nothing..what could it be?!?!

..What do u think is wrong with it and how do i fix it?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

You are sure the fan is plugged back in? You used thermal paste on the CPU?

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 3:23 PM

yes the fan is plugged in and cpu has new coat of artic 5 paste on it...get this guys this is making me more worried...I changed back to my old cpu and all of a sudden my fan started operating again.

Does that make sense to you?

Could it be the cpu itself that doesnt tell my fan to operate

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,745
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 3:58 PM

What motherboard and what CPU?  It could be that your motherboard isn't readying the thermal diode correctly and isn't spinning the fan up.  Can you manually control the fan in your BIOS?  Can you just plug the fan into a different header that runs all the time?

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:02 PM

cpu= 2.0Ghz AMD Turion 64 MT-37

old cpu = 2.0 amd sempron 3300+

Mother board = hp 30AE
Laptop =compaq presario V5101us laptop (v5000 series)

I dont know how to mannual control fan with BIOS or where to plug it in to make it run all the time

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:03 PM

cpu= 2.0Ghz AMD Turion 64 MT-37
Mother board = hp 30AE
Laptop =compaq presario V5101us laptop (v5000 series)

I dont know how to controll it with BIOS or to where to plug it in to make it run al the timeSad

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I am thinking you may need a BIOS update to support your new cpu. Atleast thats what I have read that others have had to do. Also whats your vcore?

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 4:46 PM

my v core is 1.2v

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,745
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 5:04 PM

I agree.  You most likely need an updated BIOS that supports that CPU, if there is one.  I didn't realize this was a notebook.  There probably aren't any manual fan controls in the BIOS.  You could try using SpeedFan to control the fan speed from within Windows.  Otherwise, as a last resort, you could manually solder the fan's leads to a 12v feed somewhere on the motherboard.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 6:27 PM

I found this site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-47630-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=1841905

also heared that bios updates can be dangerous that you can trash your mother board..?

OR

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-48343-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=1841905

that updates my amd cpu will it make my fan work for my new cpu?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

If the fan works properly while the laptop is booting (controlled by the BIOS), but once Windows loads it stops working, then that AMD processor update for Windows XP (the second link) just might help Windows control the fan speed. I looked at the BIOS updates available for your laptop and the enhancements that were listed with each update, but not one of those BIOS versions specifically addresses your fan control problem! I can understand your reluctance to update the BIOS as a failed update can render the motherboard useless. While your old CPU is in the laptop, rtism, download and install that AMD processor update. Also download and install SpeedFan (as Marco suggested) and see if it allows you to control your CPU fan with it. After that, cross your fingers and install your new CPU and see what happens!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 8:02 PM

k i'll try the amd processor update. I tried installing and it gives me a message saying " The version of the cpu driver currently installed must be uninstalled before this driver may be loaded"..So i went to add/remove programs and the one i see is for "Althlon 64 Processor Driver" do i unistall this?

hope i can use fan speed to controll my fan..but yea that's y i dont want to do bios update cause i rather stick with my old cpu then kill my motherboardBig Smile

Just for recap: when i installed the cpu everything worked perfectly running programs/other applications till i relized the laptop got oddly hot and then i relized my fan is not working if i can get my fan to run by itself all the time i think everythig will be alright

You guys are a real help! Just want to say thanks!..for tolerating my lack of knowledge of electronics..you should of seen me when I was taking apart my laptop to get to my cpu i was sweating bullets.,syaing "what am i doing", then i lost it when my computer overheated.."nooooooo...."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

Few are those with balls big enough to open a laptop; even fewer are those who are able to reassemble it!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 10:19 PM

so should i uninstall the one i posted above?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 10:51 PM

I believe so!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Fri, Feb 13 2009 11:08 PM

after trying to install it it gave me an error page saying "Istall failed"

it looks as if its for amd athlon 64 cpu's

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sat, Feb 14 2009 12:12 AM

Did you follow the installation instructions?
Installation Instructions
1. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive.
2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Sat, Feb 14 2009 12:28 AM

oh k got it to work but still no control over the cpu fan..Sad

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sat, Feb 14 2009 12:46 AM

Does the fan work at all while you are in Windows XP?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
nelsoncp21 replied on Sat, Feb 14 2009 12:49 AM

well this is a long shot but maybe worth looking into if the cpu drivers don't fix it. Not sure if the AMD laptops have the AMD cool & quiet feature or not but if so maybe if it's enabled in the bios and you need to update the driver for that. I know it's a shot in the dark but I am trying to think of anything that might work besides flashing the BIOS.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

That processor update won't give you control over the CPU fan, but hopefully it will allow Windows to control it! Unfortunately, you won't know if it works with the new CPU until you reinstall it. But while the old CPU is in there, go HERE and download SpeedFan as Marco suggested. If you are really lucky SpeedFan will allow you to take control of that pesky fan, rtism.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Sat, Feb 14 2009 10:14 PM

my old cpu in the fan works..it turns on and off at will when needed..but when it comes to the new cpu the fan wont do anything..and yes I have Windows xp home edition

I have a plan thou how about install a fan connected to my usb for power so i dont need to weld it to my motherboard which will make it  it run all the time when my cpu is on..keeping my new cpu cool..I know its CRAZY..but i am willing to go the extra mile before(or should i say never) doing any BIOS update. so this is my plan I have a usb buy or get a fan that fits my old cpu fan and weld the wires together and plug to my usb..and fan runs 24 keeping my cpu nice and cool everyones happy good plan or am i making a fool out of myselfConfused

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sat, Feb 14 2009 11:35 PM

That AMD driver update, or SpeedFan, just might work, so don't break-out the soldering iron just yet! But if it does come down to tapping-into an internal power source on your laptop there may be other better choices than the USB route. The main concern is how much current the fan will draw, and I am not sure a USB power source will support the fan, rtism. Read what Wikipedia has to say about the USB:

Power

The USB specification provides a 5 V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines.[17]

A unit load is defined as 100mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150mA in USB 3.0. A maximum of 5 unit loads can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, and was raised to 6 in USB 3.0. There are two types of devices: low-power and high-power. Low-power devices draw at most 1 unit load, with minimum operating voltage of 4.4V in USB 2.0, and 4V in USB 3.0. High-power devices draw the maximum number of unit loads supported by the standard. All devices default as low-power but the device's software may request high-power as long as the power is available on the providing bus.[18]

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Sat, Feb 14 2009 11:48 PM

Oh the update for the amd update succefully installed now!..So should i just go ahead and install my new cpu and see if the fan will run with the new cpu installed?

p.s I just tried a 12v fan with my usb cable and it ran pefectly..Reason i thouught it should work was because I have a laptop cooling pad that attached to my usb outlet and it run's 2 large fans with no problem This one...I relized y you told me that i searched it like you did and it said maximum of 5v like you stated but humm guess its wrong? cause I said let me try it wont hurt anything and it just ran a 12v DC fan right now. Oh and I am not going to solder wires to the motherboard I am simply pluging it in to the Usb cable externally and passing the wire in to my laptop to the fan..but i'll give the new cpu with the update a try to see how thngs work.

I tried the speed fan now and all it does is show me temp. can control any fan as it shows on youtube and stuff...Well I'm of to bed its getting lateSleep and I have work tom. in the morning..I'll give any advise you might suggest a try on Monday..no time for today or tomm...Let you know how things go on Monday Big Smile

Honestly I dont know what i would do without you guys Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sun, Feb 15 2009 12:07 AM

Slap that puppy in and see what happens! As far as SpeedFan goes, I have never been able to use it to control a laptop's fans. Oh well, it was worth a try. When you are finally finished with this project you will probably be able to dissect your laptop while wearing a blindfold!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Sun, Feb 15 2009 12:14 AM

Tell me about it I took apart my laptop 3 times first try took me like 1.5-2 hrs secound time 12min third time 4 min all to get to the cpu...But yea i'll put the New cpu in and see how it goes on Monday..and willl let you know what happnes then..Thanks

yea speedfan not working now doubt it will work with the new cpu either

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sun, Feb 15 2009 12:25 AM

Dang, 4 minutes to get to the CPU on a laptop must be some kinda record! You really have to hand it to Compaq for posting the laptop disassembly procedure on their website. I wish other manufacturers would follow suit! 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Mon, Feb 16 2009 11:05 AM

K so i just installed my new cpu with the update and the core temp. goes up to 65*C and fan wont do anything to help cool it down.. gona switch back to my old cpu...

(updated)

...Just switched back to my old cpu and when temp. reach 59-62*C the fan turns on..I am guessing that the Amd update was no help for the new cpu

Here is my next resort I plan to buy the same fan thats in my laptop cause i dont want to screw the laptop fan that i have now since it works and splice the wires and connect it to a usb wire Like this one and plug that in to the usb oulet on my laptop..If the fan powers on then i'll simply install it in my laptop where my orginal cpu fan is ...lead the wire outside of my laptop and plug it into my usb outlet..Keeping my cpu cool all the time...only bad thing about it is that the fan will run all the time when my computer is turned on

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Mon, Feb 16 2009 11:29 PM

Sorry to hear that the driver update didn't solve your problem. Let us know how the fan mod goes...

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Mon, Feb 16 2009 11:52 PM

Yea..its gona be wicked but it should work... all I am gona do is take the wire that attached to the motherboard and connect it to the power of the Usb...guess i'll have the first internal fan/external power supply laptop mod...lol

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Wed, Feb 18 2009 9:30 AM

If you guys have any more ideas i can try before my mod I am still open to it...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Not that I can think of off hand

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Wed, Feb 18 2009 8:06 PM

K so this is whats gona happen I will buy a  407808-001 Fan assembly Used by my laptop for cooling...strip the wires from the fan to get the wire exposed that powers the fan then while my fan assembly is inside my laptop and with the wires leading out of my laptop follow the instructions used at this website for my USB power supply http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/31/how-to-make-a-geeky-usb-fan/ taking in mind that the motor used in this website is my fan assembly inside my laptop

If the fan runs all the time do you think its a good idea?...cause that whats gona happen with my mod

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

I couldnt hurt,  any thing other that you bat life but only minamally and then the sound of it alwas running

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 36
Points 630
rtism replied on Wed, Feb 18 2009 10:06 PM

LOL...my batterly life kinda already went down the drain..what i mean is from 100% batterly life 30 min later batteryly life reaches 25%...cant even last 1 whole hr anymore(this is not doing anything demanding power on my laptop too)..if it wasnt for the size and mobility my laptop would be nothing more then a desktop with emergency power lasting only 35min...

that reminds me to get me a new battery when i can...maybe a 12cell so it lasts longer then my 6 cell now...and never plug it in unless It needs power...For all you people with laptops that want to prolong your battery life never plug it in unless you need it charged cause plugging it in conitnusly charges your laptops battery causing it to lower battery life...maybe newer laptops have a switch off to aviod this problem..humm..

Well now we wait till my fan arrives

Page 1 of 1 (35 items) | RSS