Dust off your useless PPU

rated by 0 users
This post has 0 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 305
weshinego Posted: Fri, Jan 30 2009 9:05 PM

If you've got an extra PCI slot available and one of AGEIA's $250 paperweights collects dust somewhere in your home, Mirror's Edge (coupled with the NVIDIA 8.06.12 driver set) serves as a new triple-A title that (albeit unintentionally) offers PPU support.  You'll have to uninstall any current drivers if your PhysX software suite is more recent.  Just replace them with the ones found here: http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/OTHERS/Nvidia-PhysX-Driver-8-06-12.shtml.  The solution worked for me.  Mirror's Edge is a console port, but it's a fine looking game and the PhysX effects really do add a little somethin-somethin' to the game--even if it is just eye candy.

For the record, I'm using XP 32bit and 3870s in CrossFire.  The visual settings are just about maxed out, my framerates are fine with and without PhysX.  However, CPU-PhysX (no PPU or GPU support) slows the game down significantly (unplayable).  I hope somebody finds this useful.

| AMD Athlon FX-60 @ 2.8GHz (Thermaltake Golden Orb II) | ASUS A8R32-MVP Deluxe | 4GB Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR400 | 2 x Sapphire HD 3870 (512MB GDDR4, Single Slot) | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty | BFG AGEIA PhysX PPU | Western Digital Raptor 150GB, 2 x Seagate Barracuda 400GB | BFG 1000W Power Supply | = Real Ultimate Bottleneck

Page 1 of 1 (1 items) | RSS