AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 Overheating! HELP!!!

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin Posted: Fri, Jan 30 2009 2:35 PM

I have tried just about everything i can think of, but i am at a loss for why my processor is getting so hot. I have the brisbane 3.1GHz x2 6000, with my side panel on my computer(has intake fan), i idle 48-51*C. Just a minute or so of any kind of stress test puts me in the 73-75*C range. I am using a Zalman 9500a heatsink with arctic silver thermal grease, and an Abit AN52 motherboard. If i take my side panel off and set up a big huge house fan next to it, i can idle at about 39-41*C, but under load i run at about 66*C with the same stress test(it does stay at that temperature, though..ran for 30 minutes). I use Abit EQ, Speedfan, Everest, and Sandra to monitor temps(a bunch to check for accuracy). All report about the same.

I did order a 120mm intake fan for the front of the case, and i know that will help but it wont be enough(certainly no house fan that can blow itself over on max settings if its not propped up). AMD Power Monitor shows each core at 1.375 volts, and my bios wont let me set it lower unless there is a hack or workaround...i have latest bios version. The thing is, im not sure if i have poor heatsink contact, or my temperature sensors are broken, because even under stress test with my processor at 70*C according to my software, i can hold my finger on the heatsink without getting burned at all. No pain or discomfort whatsoever, although it is warm.

Temps are jumpy, not sure if this is usual, but if i start stress testing, i can go from 49*C to 67*C in 15 seconds(jumps like 10-12*C almost instantly, climbs the rest of the way).

Btw, when i installed my heatsink, i used the blob method as shown on Arctic Silver's website, although to get the clip down on to the retention frame i had to tilt the heatsink after it had already touched the grease to get the clip in place, but once i got it on there it is no longer tilted of course, and as far as i can tell firmly and evenly seated on the cpu. I did this once when i first got it, saw the alarming temperatures, and redid it a few days later. Not sure if this could have caused air bubbles...and if it did im not sure it can make THIS big of a difference.

I am at a complete loss as to why my temps are so ridiculous for this processor, especially since i am not running on the stock heatsink(i hit 80* with a stress test on that thing, had to shut it off after like a minute or 2, may have kept climbing...didnt want to find out) Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, i have tried everything i can think of and looked everywhere, and this is getting to be more of a hassle than its worth.

Thanks,
Chris

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 7:48 PM

1) How my fans do you currently have installed in your case? There should be at LEAST one intake in the front, and one exhaust in the rear. This way there is always a good amt of airflow through the case.

2) When you re-seated your Zalman, did you scrape off your thermal paste and re-apply? If you did not, then I highly enocourage you to pull off the heatsink again and do so for the reasons you mentioned. Also make sure to not put more than a pea-size bead on the CPU. Anything more will cause a mess and actually hurt your temperatures. Be sure to fasten the Zalman tightly to the mobo/CPU -- any gap or crooked-ness will again affect your temperatures. If you can, try and mount it straight down instead of tilting.

3) Is the pc in open air or stashed away in a cupboard/desk? if its tucked in a corner, half-covered up, you probably need to move it elsewhere. That said, make sure it isn't located close to a radiator or a heater in the room also....

4) WELCOME TO HOTHARDWARE! Kick off your shoes and stay a while...read through some news, watch the videos, have a good time Cool

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

what kinda temps are you getting on everything else. If it's airflow in the case then everything else would be a bit high too otherwise you may have to experiment with the thermal paste and the heatsink. took me a few tries before i got the feel for how to put it on the best way. I only use a small dot on the cpu and then use my finger inside of a plastic baggy to smooth it around creating a thin even coat over the cpu. Also I am not implying your stupid by any means but was there a plastic film on the bottom of the heat sink from packageing that needed to be removed. sorry just a thought I am not implying anything. What case are you using by the way and what kind of room temps are you dealing with?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 9:39 PM

Yes, i removed the plastic film from the heatsink. i have also reapplied mutliple times, each time, i clean the old off with isopryl alcohol and a coffee filter. Dealing with room temperatures around 24*C. ~74-75*F. At night i get it down to about 21*C and i idle at about 46*C.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 9:43 PM

Running at the temps i am running at, what kind of processor life can i expect out of this thing? i am not worried about temps due to stability, i am worried about them due to life of my processor. i didnt buy a processor for it to burn out in 5 or 6 months. i want it to last me AT least 2 or 3 years, or until i can afford a new motherboard that will support a better processor.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

cbruffin:

Running at the temps i am running at, what kind of processor life can i expect out of this thing? i am not worried about temps due to stability, i am worried about them due to life of my processor. i didnt buy a processor for it to burn out in 5 or 6 months. i want it to last me AT least 2 or 3 years, or until i can afford a new motherboard that will support a better processor.

Your looking at 6 or 7 years instead of 10 or so with higher temps or overclocks. You'r CPU will not die out in 6 months. Besides you have a 3 year warranty I think on retail AMD CPUs.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 12:16 AM

On that note though: if he is truely under a load frequently (gaming and such we'll say) and hitting 70+ degrees thats not exactly given that he'd hit 6yrs

BTW are these core temperatures or ambient temps on the heatsink?

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 12:23 AM

I am gaming, i want at least 2 years out of the processor. 3 at most. core temps arent accurate...broken brisbane temperature sensors. they read 14*C and 11*C idle, 38*and 31* load. from coretemp. i have been paying attention to the CPU temperature from software...whichever sensor that comes from idk

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

cbruffin:
Temps are jumpy, not sure if this is usual, but if i start stress testing, i can go from 49*C to 67*C in 15 seconds(jumps like 10-12*C almost instantly, climbs the rest of the way).

I have seen temps that jump around a lot when the board voltage also jumps around a lot. What kind of voltages are you seeing on your motherboard, cbruffin, and are they steady?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 1:43 AM

1.4-1.41 voltage, fluctuates. im beginning to thing my sensors are wrong. core temp shows me at 14*C core 1 and 11*C core 2 at idle. does 38* and 31*C under load according to core temp

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

What about the 12V rail?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 1:52 AM

Right now speedfan says:

Vcore: 1.4-1.41V (fluctuating)

+12V: 6.02V

AVcc: 3.30V

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

6.02V on the 12V rail? Using SpeedFan, click on CHARTS, analyze voltages and put a check in the 12V box and let it run for a couple of minutes. Are you seeing a solid line on the chart, or are you seeing a wild saw-tooth pattern?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

Here is a screenshot of one of my rigs that has a voltage problem. Take a look at the SpeedFan voltage chart on the left and notice that the 12V rail is fluctuating wildly between 7 and 12 volts. At the same time notice that the SpeedFan temperature chart on the right is jumping from 15 to 70C. If your board has a voltage problem the temps will be skewed and you won't get a reliable reading! Are your voltages steady and within specs?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 10:23 AM

Yep, 6.02. I just looked at the charts of it, and it is a straight line the whole time. i checked it at idle, then ran a quick 2 minute stress test, and it never changed. The Vcore was 1.4 at idle, and almost 1.42 at load, but not quite. About 1.418.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 10:51 AM

okay, well speedfan sucks. i checked my bios and then Abit EQ(made for my motherboard) and these are the results i get:

ATX + 12V: 11.77(bios)   and  11.66-11.73(Abit EQ)

ATX + 3.3V: 3.29(bios)    and  3.30(Abit EQ)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

What case do you have? Do you know was CMF rating your fans are?

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170
cbruffin replied on Sat, Jan 31 2009 4:01 PM

nzxt trinity. only fan i know the cfm for is the intake in the front that i just put in 10 minutes ago, which says 71, but i HIGHLY doubt it actually moves that much air...and it sounds like a jet engine...

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,476
Points 47,080
ForumsAdministrator

cbruffin:
AMD Power Monitor shows each core at 1.375 volts, and my bios wont let me set it lower unless there is a hack or workaround...i have latest bios version.

The specs that I have seen for your CPU calls for 1.35V OEM, and I am surprised that you can't lower the vCore voltage on your motherboard. As it is now your CPU should be expected to run a bit hotter. It is interesting to note that someone replied to your overheating problem on another site you posted on and mentioned that these CPU's are known to have bad temperature sensors (see HERE). Lastly, you mentioned that your 12V rail is reportedly running at only 6.02V, and a rig running on that voltage would fail to boot. Dang, Dude, it is as if the Biblical plagues have manifested themselves in your PC!Surprise Heck, just forget about the reported temps (since they are most-likely inaccurate) and run the snot out of it! I would very much like to see what kind of time you get running Super Pi 1M. By the way, welcome to HotHardware!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 170

Thanks!

I think im just going to run it and ignore the temperatures. If it lasts me 2 years and then burns up....who cares? its outdated anyway by then.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,105
Points 38,225
acarzt replied on Thu, Feb 19 2009 4:06 PM

Like Super Dave said... just ignore it. If you're not experiencing any problems... then it's not really a problem.  Those temps aren't really all that high anyway. Nothing I would be too concerned with anyway.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items) | RSS