WD 2TB Caviar Green Monster Drive Preview

rated by 0 users
This post has 46 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,736
Points 1,209,565
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 26 2009 9:55 AM

Late last week Western Digital briefed us on their forthcoming release of a new addition to their Caviar Green family of hard drives.  No we're not talking some sort of exotic sushi or cracker-bound fish egg here either but rather a new, rather humongous and environmentally more friendly hard drive from WD, that can be considered an "industry first".  Today marks the day that standard rotational media breaks the 2TB barrier.  Let's spell that out a bit more clearly again here; T-W-O full Terabytes of SATA-based storage on a single, standard 3.5" hard drive.  Those of you on the consumer side of the market, hording gigs of music, movies, pictures and other media just got a bunch more breathing room to play with.  And those of you in the enterprise space now have a new option to consider with respect to bulk, low-cost, power-efficient storage.  Perhaps that rack just got a little smaller or the need to cool it a little less?

Today Western Digital is announcing their WD20WEADS drive, otherwise known as the WD Caviar Green 2.0TB.  With 32MB of onboard cache and special power management algorithms that make use of that cache to balance spindle speed and transfer rates, the WD Caviar Green 2TB claims a top rung spot on the density-per-square-inch and power-efficiency ladder. 

We've had an engineering sample here in house for a few days and have done some preliminary testing on it.  We'll be offering a full performance evaluation with the final revision of this new drive in the coming weeks but we have a sneak peek for you here.  Let's start with the specifications and then we'll take a closer look at the vital signs.

Specs:

• Capacity:  2TB (400Gb/sq.in. areal density)
  • 32MB cache buffer
  • Variable spindle speed
  • 3.5-inch form-factor
  • 500GB/platter, 4-platter design
  • 3Gb/sec SATA with NCQ
  • SATA power connector only
  • PMR head technology
  • RoHS compliant

Formatted capacity - Windows Vista 32-bit, NTFS partition

SANDRA and HD Tach Preliminary Performance - Engineering Sample, Firmware Not Final

A quick glance at the numbers here show this new big-boy Caviar Green drive from WD offering more than competitive performance versus the likes of Samsung's Spinpoint F1 and Seagate's Barracuda 7200.11 -- both 7200RPM-based products.  HD Tach shows an average read speed of 90MB/s and average writes at 80MB/s.  We'll be digging into performance metrics with other tools like IOMeter in the days ahead but this early view certainly looks good for a disk with this sort of capacity.  We'll be looking at power as well but WD claims this drive drops in somewhere around 7 Watts under read/write load and 5 Watts at idle.  With the ever-increasing demand for bulk storage, this new WD drive offers a smaller carbon footprint as well, with a full 2TB available in a single 3.5" drive.  

You can catch the official press release from WD, here. Stay tuned for the full HH monty with WD's new big-bad Caviar, coming soon. 

Though Vista likes to round the numbers down to 1.81TB, as you can see, there are over 2 trillion bytes of available capacity on this new, freshly formatted hard drive, with 147MB used just for the file system alone.  Below are some quick and dirty performance numbers with HD Tach and SANDRA.  We should underscore that we're testing a pre-release engineering sample here, so performance figures could scale higher as firmware revision are made to the product.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Dang I missing all the news and fun!!!! Again Im using someone,s computer to talk on here! Cant wait till Im back up and running!Got some of you guys email and I appreciate you thoughts and prayers. Just to many finacial problems right now along with some health problems and on top of that my trucks broke down but hopefully I,ll catch up and get back here where I belong.Miss coming here evryday the news and all you guys. Thanks alot see you soon!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

For use all the space you need use GPT partition table, not MS-Dos partition table.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 471
Points 7,075
AjayD replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 10:12 AM

I only have about 500GB left on my 1.5TB HD I bought recently, so provided Western digital prices this well, I may have to grab one when they hit the shelves.

Any word on a 2TB Caviar Black version?

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 10:56 AM

No word on the black version yet but MSRP is expect to be $299!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Yeah dependent on the price and my finances at the time I would love to have this drive and still want a 300g Raptor!!Plus a good video card at least a low cost 9800 video card!Hmmm dont want much do I? LOL Well I,ve learned a long time ago patience is a good thing cause I always of course want the fastest an i7 and the new Asus boards, I just need to hang around Raid he,s the one with the money! HA! HA!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 1:14 PM

Wow, that's looking pretty sweet -- awesome size and great performance (way better than the 1TB Green drives I reviewed a while back) to boot (no pun intended).

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

Looking great! Seagates probably too busy with their firmware problems to develop their own 2TB drive. I can't wait to see the Caviar Black Version, but $299US is alot! Tongue Tied

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

wow a 2tb drive thats nice!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
BChase replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 5:15 PM

$299 is cheap considering the SSD prices.

256mb for $495...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 355
Points 5,870
Riks replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 5:56 PM

oo i was going to get the 1.5tb one, may aswell wait for this

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 5:56 PM

I believe you mean 256 GB there BChase -- two different spectrums though. SSD = performance whereas these "old fashioned" drives are all about huge capacity.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95
Char replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 6:14 PM

Does anyone know what the RPM will be?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 6:16 PM

it will be 7200RPM

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95
Char replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 6:18 PM

Were can i find this posted on a reliable web site?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Variable spindle speed. I think like 5400 up to 7200, at least with the 1TB ones.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Yea they wont be over 7200. there is no real need on the bog HD's and it just casuses more ware on the drive. Like bob said 5400-7200rpm will be the speed of them

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 11:30 PM

Char, what is that supposed to mean? Or are you just a standard issue troll?

Editor In Chief

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Jan 27 2009 11:34 PM

WD doesn't list that because the spindle speeds vary since it's a green drive and that is governed to reduce power consumption.

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95
Char replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 12:18 AM

Dang, did know you had to be a computer geek to ask a simple question. Just wanted to ready more up on the issue as I have been following Seagate's issue etc. Sorry for being a simple person and looking for a reliable website to do some reasearch on.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 12:33 AM

Recover, the guy comes to our site and basically says we're not reliable. What would you like me to do? I should have just deleted the comment actually.

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Dave_HH:
Or are you just a standard issue troll?
Surprised you snapped @ him like that Dave, that's not like you at all.

I'm not tryin to make waves or disrespect, just surprised is all.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Dave_HH:
Recover, the guy comes to our site and basically says we're not reliable. What would you like me to do? I should have just deleted the comment actually
We all know HH is as legit as it gets so ignore the haters. I respect you and on that note, you're right... you probably shoulda just deleted the comment.

Just to clarify: The point I was making is that you're way above name calling.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 1:16 AM

Sorry then Char. This is the "reliable" site you're looking for then so ask away! :)

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 350

i bought a 750GB drive when i built my new PC a few weeks ago, upgraded from a 120 in my old pc

Originally i was thinking that 750GB was going to be way too much, but somebody just posted that they only have 500GB left on a 1.5TB drive.....

what in the world do you have on your hard drive? i am curious what takes up so much space

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 471
Points 7,075
AjayD replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 10:56 AM

Properly done 1080p BluRay rips take up around 6GB per movie. It is easy to fill up TBs of space with HD video among other things.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 95
Char replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 11:56 AM

Dang, excuse me. I have never been on this site before had no clue how polite you could be. Like I really would know how reliable you could be as I personally do not know you. Let me try to rephrase the questions.

Do you know of any site out there that would provide me with some additional reading information on the WD 2 TB?

Thanks again for your advanced kindness.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 2:11 PM

Char:

Dang, excuse me. I have never been on this site before had no clue how polite you could be. Like I really would know how reliable you could be as I personally do not know you. Let me try to rephrase the questions.

Do you know of any site out there that would provide me with some additional reading information on the WD 2 TB?

Thanks again for your advanced kindness.

No sweat at all, Char!  Sorry if I took you wrong there.  We're not too polite or stuffy around here actually.  Wink

We'll be offering a full performance evaluation here at HH, on the full production release version of the drive.  The unit we tested here had only engineering release firmware and was not final production product.  More to come in the days ahead when WD releases the final drive to us and we get it on the bench for some serious testing!

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Wed, Jan 28 2009 9:32 PM

Ajay, do you have a stripping method you like to implement when it comes to BD?

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 350

ahh, ok. i figured it might be something like that. i've only watched one blu-ray disc in my life so far let alone rip any onto my harddrive despite owning a new 32" sony bravia.

i guess i'll start looking into it, after all i don't know what else i'll do with 750GB of harddisk

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 4:14 PM

I have a few BDs on my storage server -- I estimate that i can fit ~50 BDs with my current 2.5TB of storage; this scares me as I plan on having more than this in my library...I have experiemented with stripping a little bit but more random movies I sometimes get extreme frameloss so I wasn't sure if there was a better way

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Jan 30 2009 4:29 PM

I don't necessarily think he was a "hater", just clueless. His question was answered, and yet he got all defensive and started acting like the people here didn't know what they were saying because he didn't comprehend the answer.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 660
Oblio211 replied on Tue, Feb 24 2009 1:13 PM

Hey Dave,

Curious if you guys have a date when you might get a release drive (and the review)?  I am itching to buy 4-5 of these.  Will you guys be able to test them in a RAID array? 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Feb 24 2009 1:24 PM

Oblio211:

Hey Dave,

Curious if you guys have a date when you might get a release drive (and the review)?  I am itching to buy 4-5 of these.  Will you guys be able to test them in a RAID array? 

Hi Oblio,

We hope to have a full performance review up in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 660
Oblio211 replied on Tue, Feb 24 2009 3:01 PM

Thanks Dave, will keep my eyes peeled.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
herrbrahms replied on Thu, Feb 26 2009 11:05 AM

Spell check: the proper verb is not "hording" but "hoarding."

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Feb 26 2009 11:10 AM

herrbrahms:

Where is this misspelling?

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 660
Oblio211 replied on Thu, Feb 26 2009 11:16 AM

Dave_HH:

Dave, i believe he means here in the article:

Late last week Western Digital briefed us on their forthcoming release of a new addition to their Caviar Green family of hard drives.  No we're not talking some sort of exotic sushi or cracker-bound fish egg here either but rather a new, rather humongous and environmentally more friendly hard drive from WD, that can be considered an "industry first".  Today marks the day that standard rotational media breaks the 2TB barrier.  Let's spell that out a bit more clearly again here; T-W-O full Terabytes of SATA-based storage on a single, standard 3.5" hard drive.  Those of you on the consumer side of the market, hording gigs of music, movies, pictures and other media just got a bunch more breathing room to play with.  And those of you in the enterprise space now have a new option to consider with respect to bulk, low-cost, power-efficient storage.  Perhaps that rack just got a little smaller or the need to cool it a little less?

Dave_HH:

Are you serious?  Whatever helps you sleep at night!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Thu, Feb 26 2009 11:59 AM

Oblio211:

Dave_HH:

Dave, i believe he means here in the article:

Dave_HH:

Are you serious?  Whatever helps you sleep at night!

Nah, that's a good catch!  Corrected! Thanks

Editor In Chief

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,794
Points 28,475

Dave_HH:

Char, what is that supposed to mean? Or are you just a standard issue troll?

I caught that myself Dave!!!! Reliable web siteSuper Angry!!  That was kind of personal around here. Da! This is the place to be if you cant get what you need here you cant get it!HH RocksYes

Page 1 of 2 (47 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS