Bush Shoe Toss Game Becomes Viral

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,555
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 19 2008 10:56 PM
During President George W. Bush's valedictory visit to Iraq, an Iraqi journalist launched his shoes at Bush's head during a press conference. Since then, an assortment of games, animated GIF's, videos, and creative websites have appeared to making light of the journalist's shoe toss. 

Alex Tew, an internet entrepreneur who made history in 2006 by selling a million pixels at a dollar a piece on milliondollarhomepage.com, created a simple flash game, sockandawe, that allows users to throw their own shoes a "Bush".

Tew's "stupid little flash game" started getting millions of hits, and threatened to overload the servers for Tew's new humor site. "We've spent the last three days trying to keep the servers alive and we're meant to be working on our other main startup PopJam. So we whacked it on eBay," he said.

On Ebay, his game went for $7,818 to a British-based internet media company. "It was just a bit of fun, a bit of an experiment," he said. "It's actually turned out to be a useful fundraising exercise for our start-up, which is good given the present economic circumstances."

Other games have proven just as popular, and have tallied over 50 million virtual tosses already. These include:

• Kast Sko Mot Bush, a cool, catapult-powered game
  • Ninja Bush, which puts the president in a black ninja outfit and lets him return fire with baseballs
  • Bye Bye Bush, which shows the president on an infinite field (and gives players a seemingly endless supply of shoes)
  • Bush Shoe Incident, which tests players' reaction time

Many websites and animated GIFs have also drawn supporters. One website, Thank You for Throwing Your Shoe, asks people to: "Hold up your shoe for Muntadar al-Zeidi, the Iraqi journalist who was arrested for throwing his shoes at President Bush. We don't condone shoe throwing, but we prefer it to war". The site is a gallery of people holding up their own shoes in support, and has hundreds of submissions already.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sat, Dec 20 2008 8:00 PM

I can totally understand why so many people dislike President Bush, but man this get's me fired up. Even if you dislike the president (any president), I feel, you should still respect the office. I didn't vote for Obama and strongly disagree with many of his views, but you can bet that if I ever met the man I'd be respectful.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sat, Dec 20 2008 8:42 PM

While I respect your right to your opinion and will fight to the death to ensure you can speak it, I have to ask:

Why only shoes? Why can't we throw lawnmowers at Bush?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
replied on Sun, Dec 21 2008 8:56 AM

Wow, that is just way too funny!

jess

www.privacy-center.be.tc

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 437
Points 6,450
jtm55 replied on Sun, Dec 21 2008 6:22 PM

Hi All

I totally agree with you Marco. Respect seems to be a lost commodity. Folk know they won't be held accountable for their actions.

ASUS Z7S WS

EVGA 295 GTX

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 RAID 5

Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown

HT Omega Claro

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

mushkin 6GB 3 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Harmon Kardon HK 3490 W/ Energy RC 10

LG W3000H-Bn

SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07

Plextor PX 755 SA

Windows 7 Ultimate

Areca ARC-1210

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 2,048
Points 29,300
kid007 replied on Sun, Dec 21 2008 7:59 PM

Marco C:

I can totally understand why so many people dislike President Bush, but man this get's me fired up. Even if you dislike the president (any president), I feel, you should still respect the office. I didn't vote for Obama and strongly disagree with many of his views, but you can bet that if I ever met the man I'd be respectful.

The day after that happen i went to work and everyone was talking about it. I do get fire up like you Marco not only because is the most disrepectful thing you could do to a human being (WTF is he a kid?) but he is a President! does not matter how much he screw up or whatever you respect him! society accept things like this why? because that how they are! sometimes i just want to go to a remote place far away from all this hypocraisy that we live in....

MacBook Pro 13.3" LED-Backlit Glossy, Intel "Penryn" Core 2 Duo T8700 - 2.53G, 8GB DDR3 1066, NVIDIA GForce 9400M 1280X800

HTPC 4G DDR3 XMS Corsair, Intel i5-750 Quad Core, 6ft HDMI Cable by Rosewill, AverMedia Tv Card, Gigabyte P55M-UD2,  Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 with Vapor X Cooling, 500 HD Maxtor 7200 2.5 HDD, Asus Blu-Ray Optical Drive, 46" LED Toshiba TV

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255
tanka12345 replied on Sun, Dec 21 2008 10:02 PM

Great Fun! :)

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Sun, Dec 21 2008 10:44 PM

>> "Folk know they won't be held accountable for their actions."

...especially if you have to respect them solely for their office.

Freedom of speech. It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,416
Points 46,570
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Sun, Dec 21 2008 11:47 PM

Freedom of speech is great and all, but too often it is used by immature knuckleheads. Being able to get your point across without being disrespectful seems to be a quality that is sorely lacking in many. Back in August of 2006 Hugo Chavez gave a speech at the U.N. concerning George Bush that was very disrespectful. THIS might actually be funny if not for the fact that Hugo Chavez is Venezuela's Presidente.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Mon, Dec 22 2008 3:37 PM

The great thing is, we're just as free to point out that Hugo Chavez is a raving nutcase. And, since people in his own country can't, ours is definitely the better system.

This flash game is nothing new.  Political cartoonists have been doing the exact same thing for much longer (trivia:  first political cartoon accompanied Benjamin Franklin's editorial on the british colonies).

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

guess what i dont care :D

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS