A Free-Will DVD Drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 125
spop Posted: Mon, Dec 8 2008 7:48 PM

My DVD drive on my laptop comes on and goes off when it wants to. Sometimes when I on my PC typing the drive makes a strange noise and tries to read without a disk inside. When I finally put a cd or dvd in it the read light comes on for a second and then cuts off. Here is what I tried so far: I physically tried holding the drive so it could read the cd or dvd. I uninstalled the DVD drive and its driver, and then I rebooted my PC and let them reinstall. No success.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

What version of windows do you use? what model and brand is your laptop?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 125
spop replied on Mon, Dec 8 2008 8:09 PM

Windows XP Home. Compaq Presario V5209US

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

if there is a safely remove hardware option you can click that and windows will unload the drivers for the drive.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 125
spop replied on Mon, Dec 8 2008 9:20 PM

Where will that option be located?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 125
spop replied on Mon, Dec 8 2008 9:42 PM

Well, thank you. That fixed it sorta. I removed the device and let my system detect it. Then I placed a music cd into my drive and it played, but I accidently bumped my laptop. That messed it up. I got to becareful.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

spop:

Well, thank you. That fixed it sorta. I removed the device and let my system detect it. Then I placed a music cd into my drive and it played, but I accidently bumped my laptop. That messed it up. I got to becareful.

I'll see if I can find a more permanent solution to the issue. Check back in a day or two.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS