Why I became very disappointed with AMD.....

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405
JohnLiakouras Posted: Sun, Dec 7 2008 2:57 PM

Hello EveryBody,

Long Ago, I was A very Big Fan of AMD! Big Smile

I had an Athlon 64 Processor and was working like a charm! Unstoppable!!!! Big Smile

So 1 year Ago, I decided to Buy an AMD 6400+ (3.2 GHz), to continue the good experience....Huh?

From the very first moment I powered on,I had Nothing but Problems......I couldn't use vista x64 because constantly I was getting "Blue Death Screens" all the time....My Hardware was not working correctly because I wasn't able to install the proper drivers.....(crashing all the time)......I tried to install various software and it crashed constantly!!!!!! Angry

Using all the methods I could think,I finally got it to work,with the main programs,that I needed, to be operational.That until today!!! Angry Because I wittnessed the amazing DOS message, after a common restart: " BOOT DISK FAILURE,INSERT SYSTEM DISK " Angry

That Was It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry   This was the final thing i would witness from this PC!!!!!!!!!!! AngryAngryAngry

So I gave it A KICK with my boot, and it went 3 meters away!!!!!!!!!! AngryAngryAngryAngry

And tomorrow I will go get an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 with ASUS P5Q MotherBoard and thats it!!!!!Big Smile

No More AMD For Me !!!!!!! Wink

May The Force Be With Us! Computer

Intel Quad-Core Q9550 (2.83 GHz) OverClocked To ~3.41 GHz

A-Data DDR2 4 X 2048MB (1066 MHz FSB)

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

2 X 150GB WD VelociRaptors In Raid 0 (WD1500HLFS)

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

What is your motherboard?  The Athlon X2 6400+ is a 125 watt CPU.  Some motherboards cannot handle firepower of that magnitiude.  That may have been your problem.  Or that extra wattage might have been too much for your Power Supply.  What was your old CPU?  It was probably only 89 watts.

There is an 89w Athlon X2 6000+ that would have been better for you (if that is indeed the problem).

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,475
Points 47,060
ForumsAdministrator

And so you blame it on AMD? Why not just blame it on George Bush!Big Smile 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

Super Dave:

And so you blame it on AMD? Why not just blame it on George Bush!Big Smile 

I agree totally!

I wouldn't recommend buying a Q9550 at the moment, as prices will go down because of Core i7. I urge you to wait (if you can), until the Phenom II CPU's come out, and give AMD a second chance. You shouldn't give up on something just because of one bad personal experience.

Thanks, and a Pre-Merry Christmas from me!

Tanka12345

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,475
Points 47,060
ForumsAdministrator

JohnLiakouras:
Using all the methods I could think,I finally got it to work,with the main programs,that I needed, to be operational.That until today!!! Angry Because I wittnessed the amazing DOS message, after a common restart: " BOOT DISK FAILURE,INSERT SYSTEM DISK " Angry

John, are you going to be using your two RAIDed VelociRaptors on your new system, too?Big SmileBig Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

My Friend Super Dave, the velociraptors work like a charm!!!!! Believe me,I have test them with my other machine,which -if I may tell you- was built from scraps from other computers,and it has onboard an INTEL E2200, OVERCLOCKED TO 2.87 GHz WITHOUT ANY SERIOUS COOLING SYSTEM! Big Smile

For 1 Year now,this system is working with no stopping! No glitching! Nothing! Big Smile

Unfortunately for AMD,This is finally what INTEL means! Wink

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

Crisis Causer:

What is your motherboard?  The Athlon X2 6400+ is a 125 watt CPU.  Some motherboards cannot handle firepower of that magnitiude.  That may have been your problem.  Or that extra wattage might have been too much for your Power Supply.  What was your old CPU?  It was probably only 89 watts.

There is an 89w Athlon X2 6000+ that would have been better for you (if that is indeed the problem).

My Friend,I Don't think that power is the problem here...Huh?

I Owned an ASUS M2N-SLI Motherboard,and my power supply is 1500 Watts... Huh?

My old AMD was with a completely different board.I bought this board the same day I got the cpu,and I have installed the latest bios update.

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

tanka12345:

I agree totally!

I wouldn't recommend buying a Q9550 at the moment, as prices will go down because of Core i7. I urge you to wait (if you can), until the Phenom II CPU's come out, and give AMD a second chance. You shouldn't give up on something just because of one bad personal experience.

Thanks, and a Pre-Merry Christmas from me!

Tanka12345

You Know, this was pretty much always happening with AMD...Huh?....either the operating systems did not work for various reasons, either the hardware needed "special" updates,just to work with AMD platform,and I was always struggling to make it work, while INTEL was running Fast, Smooth and -most of all- with no surprises! Huh?

I was determined to endure all those things in the years that passed,because when I was playing a game,it went bananas! Surprise

But now the scenery has changed.Those Quad-Core cpus,just fly! In every benchmark they come out on top in most cases...so why settle with something less? Wink

Pre-Merry Christmas To All Of You Guys! Gift

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Bad motherboard?  Even ASUS sends out faulty once every once in a while.

But I blame Vista.  What are you using that for?Stick out tongue

Hello

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

Think So? Big Smile

Don't be suprised,but they work ok with me....Confused

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

Oh, something else...Smile

I got today the Q9550 and P5Q motherboard!!!!!! Yes

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

AMD's new Quads come out in January, so you should have waited.  Even if you insisted on still jumping ship, Intel prices would probably drop by then.

But there's nothing wrong with a little early Christmas gift for youself.Cool

Hello

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

To be Honest, I Couldn't Wait!!!!!! Big SmileBig SmileBig Smile

Cheers!!! Beer

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I really like my P5Q-VM... haven't tried to OC yet, but will later.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

NICEEEEEEEEE Big Smile

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55

What a pathetic post.

None of those issues are directly related to the CPU. Not all of your BSODs could've been directly related to the CPU. Maybe instead of blaming AMD, you could've checked the Event Log yourself and diagnosed the problem directly instead of whining about AMD on a message board. Many drivers a year ago were not even migrated to Vista yet (then again, many other were also migrated), let alone x64.

And the Boot Disk Failure is a HD issue. It's exactly what it says, a BOOT DISK FAILURE. Your CPU is not your boot disk. I didn't even know it was possible for the two to be confused with each other.

I use to have the 6000+ and never have had an issues with both x86/x64 Vista, but then again, I'm not exactly computer illiterate as someone here. I'm by no means a fan boy either. I merely registered while looking up another issue and I just wanted to show the flaws in your logic, and I am surprised myself that nobody else brought it up.

Have a good day.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860

I do have to agree with berniebennybernard here. I don't understand either how it could be related to CPU. The only way you would be having an unstable system is if you have bad cooling, unstable overclocking, or if the CPU is defective, which i highly doubt. So does your new Intel Quad work well?

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

First: The CPU is related on a primary or on a secondary basis with EVERYTHING that your computer has.Because if it wasn't, there wouldn't be a need for a CPU inside a computer.

Second: You CAN'T check the Event Log,when you suddenly experience UNRECOVERABLE boot failure.

Third: All the devices that I used had been certified by their manufacturers for Windows Vista X64 ONLY!

Fourth: The Same Hard Disks, In The New Intel System, are working like HELL! No Flaws! NOTHING!

And FIFTH AND MOST IMPORTANT: AMD Will Always Be At Least One Step Behind - At Best - From Intel, Because this is the modern reality.Why?

Because The World Knows:

1) Their Technology is Obsolete.They Never finished First, But Even If they did, Intel Came Out On Top Instantly! That's why it's difficult to be a Champion: Because you must Always Be Able To REMAIN One.

2) They aim TOO LOW

3) The World Sales Of those 2 Companies (AMD 20%, Intel 80%) 

4) Few Dogmatic people that struggle to proove what simply does not exist with AMD.

Usually, Those People Do Not Know What Civilization Is All About.That Is Why They Speak In Such A Revolting Way.

But I guess everybody has an opinion. 

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

My Friend, my cooling was Ok, because my CPU was working at 35 celcius.I didn't overclocked at all, that CPU.It was working at it's predefined speed of 3.2 GHz. (AMD 64x2 6400+)

And On the other hand,Intel Quad Is working like a beauty! I am using a very good cooling system, and my temperature is at 35 celcius.

But there is a difference here: The CPU Is Overclocked to 3.41 GHz! And It Is Indeed Unstoppable! I am really amazed how this monster is loading!!!

I was reading another post a few days ago about a friend here (I don't remember his name), who had a Q6600 Working At 3.6 GHz! A was amazed when I read this !!!!!

This plain example -Unfortunately For AMD- Is today's reality! Intel Is way Ahead!

Hopefully, AMD will measure up with Intel sometime......It is in OUR Best Interest! And I will be the First To Cheer For Them when they do.Yes

Until That Time Comes, AMD has a loooooong way to go...

Then again,this is what I think.....Cool

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,475
Points 47,060
ForumsAdministrator

JohnLiakouras:

4) Few Dogmatic people that struggle to proove what simply does not exist with AMD.

Usually, Those People Do Not Know What Civilization Is All About.That Is Why They Speak In Such A Revolting Way.

Oh my!Surprise

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55

JohnLiakouras:

First: The CPU is related on a primary or on a secondary basis with EVERYTHING that your computer has.Because if it wasn't, there wouldn't be a need for a CPU inside a computer.

Second: You CAN'T check the Event Log,when you suddenly experience UNRECOVERABLE boot failure.

Third: All the devices that I used had been certified by their manufacturers for Windows Vista X64 ONLY!

Fourth: The Same Hard Disks, In The New Intel System, are working like HELL! No Flaws! NOTHING!

And FIFTH AND MOST IMPORTANT: AMD Will Always Be At Least One Step Behind - At Best - From Intel, Because this is the modern reality.Why?

Because The World Knows:

1) Their Technology is Obsolete.They Never finished First, But Even If they did, Intel Came Out On Top Instantly! That's why it's difficult to be a Champion: Because you must Always Be Able To REMAIN One.

2) They aim TOO LOW

3) The World Sales Of those 2 Companies (AMD 20%, Intel 80%) 

But I guess everybody has an opinion. 

Wow, just plain wow. More than half that post was utter useless information. It's something I'd read if I wanted to hear an Intel fanboy bashing AMD. Can we please stay on topic instead of having to read spewed garbage?

Sure, the CPU is of course related on a primary or secondary basis with most components on your computer, but it doesn't mean its the epicenter of all your computer woes. That is a flawed logic, I hope you realize that. You need to do more thorough diagnostics before you can come up with a conclusion (which I'm under the impression you did not).

Did you attempt to check the Event Log prior to the HD failure? Did you disable automatic restart to diagnose the BSOD error codes? Did you run chkdsk /r in the recovery console after the HD died? Did you stick it in an enclosure to check in another computer?

If more than anything, I have a feeling the motherboard was dying. Since you tell us that the HD works fine in your new Intel system, one would believe the motherboard was going kaputz with the South Bridge going along with it. Perhaps the driver issues could've been solved with a BIOS update? And the last time I checked, if a product was supported on x64 Windows, it was also supported on x86 Windows. If anything, it's the other way around.

That's just several things you could've done instead of whining on a message board, but from the looks of it, you probably didn't know how to do that. So next time before you make a useless topic bashing a product, at least support your statements, and show us the facts that the CPU was the main culprit because more than likely, the CPU wasn't the reason why your computer went nuts on you.

Have a good day.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

For Some people that did not read carefully what I said from the beginning,because the only thing they know is how to accuse others and have their eyes and ears locked only to a certain thing and not paying any attention,The ONLY thing I wanted, was to state to you all what happened to me,for the sake of chatting.NOBODY IS WHINING ABOUT ANYTHING.Certainly not me! Unlike some others,who feel somehow violated....What Can I Say.....Time Is The Healer Of Everything! Cool

Concluding, MY OPINION About AMD,Will Be The Same,until they make REAL Progress......Enough To Measure Up With Intel! Big Smile

Cheers! Big Smile

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Everyone is entitled to their oppinion.

Glad to hear that you are happy with your new system. If you get around to it, why not throw up some benchmarks... 3Dmark06, Vantage, etc.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

Thank You My Friend.

As Soon As I am able to set it up completely,I Will throw Sisoftware Sandra & 3Dmark06,to see what the numbers say...Huh?

And I Will Post Immediately!

Wink

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

Hello There,

It has been a long time since we talked this over, and there is no point in going back again. Life goes on...Wink

AMD has made progress, but I still am moving on with Intel...that's because this machine STILL runs like hell, after so many years without any problems at all! Not A Single Thing! Yes

Now, I am sure that there could have been a number of things I could do in order to see what the problem was, and OF COURSE I could do them. BUT! This is not the issue... The REAL deal is that I don't WANT and I don't NEED to go through those channels with Intel. THAT'S THE SECRET!

I recently got a MacBook Pro with Intel Processor inside. Dual Boot of course, It simply rips...Both those machines rip, especially after so many years! Unfortunately, I wasn't able to run and post the previous tests that I said, sorry...

I just wanted to state that I still go on with Intel, without having some respect for AMD's efforts.

That's All from Me, regarding this post.

Cheers!  Smile

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 115
LSanoy replied on Wed, Aug 1 2012 8:59 PM

probably just some manufacturing defects.

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 255
Derailed replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 2:16 AM

The ole drop-kick method fixes it for good! 

Page 1 of 1 (27 items) | RSS