Help with RAID 1 (mirror) configuration

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 85
jenricae Posted: Thu, Dec 4 2008 7:07 PM

Hi,

I have a Dell Precision 380 with 2 HD (160GB seagate & 250GB Maxtor - sata drives) that were in a RAID 1 (mirror) configuration.

I wanted to upgrade the HD space so i popped out the 160GB drive and put in a 250GB drive. The computer started and rebuilt the RAID. I didn't realize that the RAID would still be only 160GB.

So what do i do now? If i try to remove the RAID from the RAID utility (Ctrl -I) it tells me that i'll loose all data. I've read in some forums that this warning isn't actually true and that i can remove the RAID and the data will still be there.

Any help is appreciated!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Dec 5 2008 12:30 AM

Unfortunately, with the current state of the technology, changing the drive isn't going to magically change the partition sizes.

How about backing up all the data, resizing the partitions, then restoring it?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 85

I guess i'll have to image the drive and then restore it once i reset the RAID. Was hoping i could skip the backup part.

Thanks!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

jenricae:

I guess i'll have to image the drive and then restore it once i reset the RAID. Was hoping i could skip the backup part.

Thanks!

That's one part you never wanna skip.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 65
Points 800

If you want the RAID to be 250 GB then you have to backup and rebuild the array. If you simply want to remove the RAID array then yes its possible - but this is controller dependent. Remove the RAID is essentially a two step process. The controller in your computer stores the configuration as well as the disks in the Array. If you jump into your controller and remove the array with out reinitilizing (ie. format)  the disks (again this depends on the controller - some will do this when you drop the array, or rebuild it) then that will only remove the array from the controller, you can then build another array using the same disks and so long as the master/primary disk is the one your building off of, then the array will come back, just as it was before. Hope that helps.

It's not custom unless your the only one who can boot it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Dec 5 2008 9:21 AM

Listen to the Bob, and repeat after me:  RAID IS NOT A BACKUP SOLUTION.  If you accidentally overwrite all your family photos, or get a virus that does it for you, RAID's going to make sure that change happens on both of your drives.

bob_on_the_cob:

jenricae:

Thanks!

That's one part you never wanna skip.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,054
Points 60,735
3vi1 replied on Fri, Dec 5 2008 9:25 AM

You could also try something like Partition Magic or QTPartEd, though I've never ever tried them on a RAID configuration myself (not even sure they support it).  If you do try them, be sure to have backups first since there's always fine print that says "we don't guarantee this won't just trash your partitions".

Not Ranked
Posts 27
Points 405

Unfortunately My Friend,the only thing that I could recommend for you is that you must make a re-creation of your array after you have installed the new disk, and re-format it again.....Huh?

Personally, I would urge you to buy an external disk and backup everything you need there....Do this from the beginning, to avoid any problems, and to have a smooth RAID operation! Wink

May The Force Be With Us! Computer

Intel Quad-Core Q9550 (2.83 GHz) OverClocked To ~3.41 GHz

A-Data DDR2 4 X 2048MB (1066 MHz FSB)

ASUS P5Q

EVGA nVIDIA 8800 GTX

2 X 150GB WD VelociRaptors In Raid 0 (WD1500HLFS)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS