game reviews.

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 Posted: Mon, Dec 1 2008 4:18 PM

ok, we all know the standard benchmarks for video cards are high end games (crysis). what i would like to see, is some reviews of these computer games. because some games apart from being a good benchmark arent too good *cough* crysis *cough*. other games though like stalker (imo) are great games and good benchmarks! so it would be nice to see some solid reviews of good games. this would completly eliminate me having to go to gamespot for their shitty reviews. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Dec 1 2008 7:40 PM

Rob was actually toying with the idea of doing a game review blog here on HH, but it hasn't come to fruition yet.  I'll poke him now...

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Techspot does performance reviews of games across various gfx cards. I find this extremely useful since performance is almost as important to me as graphical bling and gameplay/story. Techspot is the only other hardware site I visit, but if HH did those types of reviews I'd have no need to go anywhere else.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

Great idea! And Marco, poke Rob harder! Smile

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
Stealth replied on Mon, Dec 1 2008 11:24 PM

OK, OK, I've been poked hard enough...Stick out tongue

Well, I admit I was not only interested in writing reviews, but thought about spinning off a sister site with an eye towards nothing more than gaming and the hardware used for gaming.  I was thinking of naming it something along the lines of GotGame (taken), or GameGear which now appears to be open!

Reason being, I am first, and foremost, a gamer.  I've been playing PC Games for, well, forever from the good 'ole classics from Sierra and Lucasarts up to today's almost singlular focus on FPS games.  In fact, if it wasn't for games, I'd probably never have gone down the road to working here at HH.

Anyway, I digress.  At the time I brought up video game reviews, the thought was that this wasn't what the current readership wanted, but perhaps this has changed.  If there's interest, let it be known and if the numbers are there, we'll talk about possibly adding these kind of reviews to the site.

So...what say you guys???

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

I'll do a review on stalker... I love that game

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

I think it would be awesome to have a sister gaming site. Big Smile

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

Stealth:
I'm pretty sure that almost everyone that participates in the forums these days has at least some interest in games and the hardware it takes to run them to their fullest potential so game reviews relating to their content and performance seems like a natural to me.

A sister site may not be a bad idea, but I personally would rather see such content integrated directly into HH itself.

I've mentioned in numerous other posts that I often visit Techspot for certain content, but feel that HH is my home. If HH could be expanded to include more content, I bet it's readership and forum activity would grow exponentially to the point of eventually becoming thee most visited tech site on the net bar none.

Admins: Your site is already awesome to the nth degree, but it's time to think BIGGER than you ever have before and make our site the benchmark by which all others are measured! It is IMHO absolutely, without a doubt within reach!!!

PS - If you prefer the low key nature of the sight as it is, I totally understand and hopefully didn't come off like I was blowing smoke as that was not my intent.

-Alex

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

recoveringknowitall:

Stealth:
I'm pretty sure that almost everyone that participates in the forums these days has at least some interest in games and the hardware it takes to run them to their fullest potential so game reviews relating to their content and performance seems like a natural to me.

A sister site may not be a bad idea, but I personally would rather see such content integrated directly into HH itself.

I've mentioned in numerous other posts that I often visit Techspot for certain content, but feel that HH is my home. If HH could be expanded to include more content, I bet it's readership and forum activity would grow exponentially to the point of eventually becoming thee most visited tech site on the net bar none.

Admins: Your site is already awesome to the nth degree, but it's time to think BIGGER than you ever have before and make our site the benchmark by which all others are measured! It is IMHO absolutely, without a doubt within reach!!!

PS - If you prefer the low key nature of the sight as it is, I totally understand and hopefully didn't come off like I was blowing smoke as that was not my intent.

-Alex

Good, honest, constructive feedback. I now second this idea of integrating more content into HH and expanding it, instead of a second sister site.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Tue, Dec 2 2008 10:05 AM

I would be against integrating games reviews into hothardware. Hothardware is for hardware. The sister site (hotgames.com?) with a shared forum (The gaming section) is a better idea.

Why, Davo and the lads can review hardware pretty well. I'm not convinced they could do the same for games.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

We're all entitled to our oppinions.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, Dec 2 2008 5:58 PM

im sure hh can review games just fine. im more intrested in a review that both reviews the game, and hardware. if you go to most game review site they review the game but dont compare the graphics. i would love to see differences between medium and ultra quality. also, most the game review sites, at least imo, are pretty bad. they review the games and say its fun or not but thats not what i want at least..... fun is an opinion, i would like more facts. are the missions too repetivie? what do you do in the missions? is there replay value? hows the atmosphere? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 207
Points 3,310
caos420 replied on Wed, Jan 27 2010 2:52 PM

I don't agree indeed hh reviews hardware but benchmarks dont always tell the truth,For instance i bench 20000+ on 3dmark06 which is very good and i have a full gaming rig but crysis for example plays like crap on my rig while cod5 plays at 100+fps and so does coh so i think if your going to review hardware throw some gaming at it so we can get a better idea of what that hardwares performance is like if your going to review a gpu i'd also like to know how it performs with today's games it would make a differance on whether or not i would be interested in that gpu and so on and soforth.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 156
Points 2,495

Don't you think that there are more than enough GAME REVIEWS out there? Why go to GAMESPOT when you could try IGN or even GAMETRAILERS. Better yet they have lots of reviews of games out on Youtube. I think just looking at the website "HOTHARDWARE" should speak for itself. 

Don't complicate things by mixing game reviews with hardware reviews. Instead, stick with one rather than making a compromise by focusing on two different things. Anyways, that's what I think. There isn't anything wrong with GAME REVIEWS but the internet is ALREADY flooded with them reviews so I find it pointless.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310
Inspector replied on Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:08 PM

LOL caos bumped a 2 year old thread in January -.- lol

Blacarcher theres no point in replying this thread as its too old to matter :)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS