Windows 7 To Support DX10 On CPU

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,187
Points 1,186,095
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Nov 30 2008 4:50 PM

Though the lines between CPUs and GPUs have been projected to intersect in the not so distant future, today things are still relatively distinct, in terms of what types of workloads can be processed where.  In the future, though AMD's Fusion technology and Intel's Larabee processor may well offer the best of both worlds in hardware, Microsoft appears to be planning to take advantage of current, traditional architectures and enable DirectX 10 processing on the CPU in software. 

With the help of a software rasterizer called "WARP" (Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform) in Windows 7, Microsoft plans to fully support DX10 and 10.1 features in software with up to 8X multi-sample AA, anisotropic filtering and various texture features.  Of course things won't run as fast as with a dedicated GPU.  However word is with WARP, weak integrated graphics cores are even being taken to school...

"Microsoft has released some interesting benchmarks that show the system to be quicker than Intel’s current integrated DirectX 10 graphics. Running Crysis at 800 x 600 with the lowest quality settings, an eight-core Core i7 system managed an average frame rate of 7.36fps, compared with 5.17fps from Intel’s DirectX 10 integrated graphics."

DirectX 10 Rendering - image courtesy:  NVIDIA Corp.

And from the MSDN WARP Guide...

• Fully supports all Direct3D 10 and 10.1 feature

• Fully supports all the precision requirements of the Direct3D 10 and 10.1 specification

• Supports Direct3D 11 when used with FeatureLevel 9_1, 9_2, 9_3, 10_0 and 10_1

• Supports all optional texture formats, such as multi-sample render targets and sampling from float surfaces.

• Supports anti-aliased, high quality rendering up to 8x MSAA.

• Supports anisotropic filtering

• Supports 32 and 64 bit applications as well as large address aware 32 bit applications.

• The minimum specification for WARP10 is the same as Windows Vista, specifically:

• Minimum 800MHz CPU.

• MMX, SSE or SSE2 is *not* required

• Minimum 512MB of RAM

Conformance

WARP10 passes all the standard WHQL conformance tests that are used to validate Direct3D hardware devices. WARP10 has been tested against an extensive suite of Direct3D 10 and 10.1 applications and benchmarks as well as SDK samples from DirectX, NVIDIA and AMD.

WARP10 used PIX for Windows extensively in its testing; we have a large library of single frame captures of applications that we compare between hardware and WARP10. The majority of the images appear almost identical between hardware and WARP10, where small differences sometimes occur we find they are within the tolerances defined by the Direct3D 10 specification.

CPU, GPU, or software rendered -- regardless, it's clear our computing experience is being defined more and more with powerful rendering effects that will improve immersion, realism and utilization. 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Sun, Nov 30 2008 5:32 PM

intresting news, i could of sworn i read somewhere that microsoft said that a cpu/gpu combo is useless and it wont support it in the near future... then again companies change stances alot. i wonder if larabee/fusion will come out in time for windows 7. seems more like microsoft is ditching vista, and going to make windows 7 more long lasting.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Nov 30 2008 6:36 PM

>> Running Crysis at 800 x 600 with the lowest quality settings, an eight-core Core i7 system managed an average frame rate of 7.36fps, compared with 5.17fps from Intel’s DirectX 10 integrated graphics." <<

Thereby proving that neither are fit platforms for anything involving DirectX.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 835
Points 11,255

Seriously, who would run a game on CPU only? Hmm

*New KILLER Rig!!* - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit Build 7100 (RC)

Intel Core i7 920 OCed to 3.2GHz | CoolerMaster V8 | Patriot Viper 3x2GB DDR3-1333MHz | MSI Eclipse X58 | LG W2261V 22" 16:9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB | MSI ATI 4870 1GB | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050W PSU | CoolerMaster HAF 932 | ASUS DRW-22B1LT Lightscribe | Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme | Logitech X-540 |  Razer Carcharias | Razer Lachesis | Razer Destructor/ Razer Goliathus Speed/ Fnatic SteelSeries Qck+ XL | OCZ Alchemy Elixir |

*My OLD Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz -1GB (2x512MB) Hynix DDR-400Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX ECS L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate 2.5" ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB - ASUS nVidia TNT2 M64 32MB AGP x4 - Hyena 300W PSU - *CoolerMaster Storm Scout*

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55
userf replied on Mon, Dec 1 2008 9:28 AM

This is a joke. I mean software DX10.1. :)

Quid Pro Quo

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,593
Points 54,950
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Dec 1 2008 9:57 AM

Instead of integrated graphics, it's no joke. You're not going to do any heavy duty gaming on it but to accelerate something like the Aero interface or DX HD video decode, it will be rather useful.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Mon, Dec 1 2008 3:17 PM

Or maybe MS is playing chess. Kick the legs off from under SwiftShader (http://www.transgaming.com/products/swiftshader) and wait for Cedega to collapse when the company goes down... removing one of the few ways people can convert to Linux and keep their games.

Nah, it's much more believable that there was a second shooter on the grassy knoll.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, Dec 1 2008 4:03 PM

i agree with dave, it is usefull. even minor stuff in vista requires some graphical power, although perhaps some one can clarify this for me.... isnt decoding mostly software (unless the video card has a specific chip to help offset cpu work) and wouldnt having this to decode video's be worse? since decoding is relatively easy, and increasing the cpu load would just make everything run a bit slower (background apps etc..)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS