Left 4 Dead

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005
Crisis Causer Posted: Fri, Nov 14 2008 9:10 PM

Anyone try the demo on Steam?  It seems very arcade like, especially considering the co-op.  I don't think I'll buy the full version, because I'm broke, but it does seem like a fun concept.  I played the demo online a couple times and it's a blast.  I like how the items and enemy layouts are different each time, eliminating some of the redunancy.  But I can see it getting old after a couple months real fast.

Thoughts anyone?

Hello

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

What settings & rez did you run it @ and how was the performance in terms of framerate?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I played it. I play a lot of Team Fortress so I have been playing with some of my clan mates. It's quite a bit of fun playing with people you that you have played with before. You know they will bail you. I played with some random people the other day too and they found it funny to set off car alarms. SO NOT FUNNY.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sat, Nov 15 2008 1:24 PM

I downloaded and installed the demo via Steam.  Runs pretty slow under Linux+Wine unless you dial down the video settings, but it sure does look good.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

3vi1:

I downloaded and installed the demo via Steam.  Runs pretty slow under Linux+Wine unless you dial down the video settings, but it sure does look good.

I have it running good just with no AA AF in ubuntu.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I ran it at max settings + 4xAA 8xAF at 1920x1080.  I didn't have a framerate display, but it was fine.  This was with only one of my Radeon 3850s.  It's a Source game, so it's not stressful.

Hello

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Crisis Causer:

I ran it at max settings + 4xAA 8xAF at 1920x1080.  I didn't have a framerate display, but it was fine.  This was with only one of my Radeon 3850s.  It's a Source game, so it's not stressful.

In linux? It runs fine in windows for me. Source games run much slower in linux though.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Sun, Nov 16 2008 11:14 AM

Crisis Causer:

I have a 9800GTX+, which should should smoke the 3850 under Linux, so I'm guessing that you're talking about under Windows.

The real problem with running it under Linux is that Wine's DirectX implementation still needs to be optimized for any game that uses versions later than 8.1.  I found that I could run it with shaders and settings set much higher if I force the game to detect 8.1 by using "-dxlevel 81" in the launch parameters.  This is pretty much the norm for Source games at the moment.

It's weird and a little disappointing, because other games like EverQuest and City of Heroes run at the same speed as Windows (if not faster).  I'm sure it will be worked out in time, though.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Oh, we are talking about Linux?  No, this is under XP SP3.

I responded to recovering's post, which didn't mention Linux at all.  I'm confused as to why everyone has Linux now and is running games on it.  Why would I be on Linux?

Hello

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Sorry Crisis. Its just me and 3vi1. Were the linux geeks. Me bad.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS