Windows won't boot, graphical glitches on windows logo, GPU very hot but confirmed working. Help!

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195
DefaultGen Posted: Tue, Oct 28 2008 4:18 PM

I turned on my desktop today and it didn't fully boot.  The white text displays fine before it gets to the Windows logo but the windows logo and the loading bar have weird blue, glitchy trails and once windows loads, my screen just shuts off and there's no signal.  I can get into BIOS but the graphics are a little bit glitchy, and if I try to go into a sub menu of the BIOS (like Advanced CMOS Settings) the screen just shuts off.  After running for a minute or two the GPU gets really hot, I'm unsure if this is normal.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Things I've tried:

- Replacing the GPU with a known working GPU (Same glitchiness and non-booting)
- Unplugging the hard drive and booting a Knoppix LiveCD (Black screen)
- Reset the CMOS
- Boot into safe mode (Gets to a glitchy "Welcome" screen then black screens)
- Rebuilt entire computer (Reseated everything, cleaned out case, tested RAM modules one at a time)

Specs:

CPU - Q9550 (Never OC'd, straight from box, AS5 + aftermarket cooler)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
RAM - Nvidia SLi 1066mhz (2gb) + OCZ Fatal1ty 1066mhz (1gb)
HDD - Some 250gb WD IDE drive
PSU - Thermaltake 750W Toughpower
GPU - HD 4850.  Tested with 2 different cards, same problem.
OS - Windows XP

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Sounds like the GPU to me. What other card did you use?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195
DefaultGen replied on Tue, Oct 28 2008 10:41 PM

I checked my roomates HD 4850, same card I have, and it gave the same exact issues, so I didn't think it was the GPU.  I could check mine in my friends PC just to confirm I guess...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

DefaultGen:

I checked my roomates HD 4850, same card I have, and it gave the same exact issues, so I didn't think it was the GPU.  I could check mine in my friends PC just to confirm I guess...

Yeah try that. Also try a stick of his ram if you can. I will be on for a few hours if you can get to his PC tonight I'll give you a hand. I't might be the mobo itself if none of that works

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

Try seating the GFX card in a diffrent slot. Also try diffrent power conectors for the gfx card as well.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Der Meister:

Try seating the GFX card in a diffrent slot. Also try diffrent power conectors for the gfx card as well.

That mobo only has one slot. That was my thoughSad

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195

I can't test the GPU tonight, I will tomorrow.  I have a new motherboard on the way (upgrading for multi-GPU) so I'm not too worried if this one has a dead PCIe slot, it's not the first time the mobo's acted up.  I'll post updates if something works or doesn't work.  Thanks for the quick replies.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

DefaultGen:

I can't test the GPU tonight, I will tomorrow.  I have a new motherboard on the way (upgrading for multi-GPU) so I'm not too worried if this one has a dead PCIe slot, it's not the first time the mobo's acted up.  I'll post updates if something works or doesn't work.  Thanks for the quick replies.

Thats good to here. If you GPU works in his rig it is most likly the motherboard.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195

I replaced the motherboard and the same issue.  Could it be the CPU?  I replaced it less than a month ago and it's been working fine :-\  I'll do more testing later I guess.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Have you tryed different ram?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195

I've tried 3 different sticks.  With one of them, glitchy windows won't even begin to boot and the other 2 just go to glitchy windows then black screen.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I'm kinda at a loss here. Just make sure you have tryed replacing every part, even your PSU one at a time untill it works. Also run chkdsk on you windows partition.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Sun, Nov 2 2008 3:21 PM

bob_on_the_cob:

>> even your PSU

I was actually leaning toward that being the next thing he should check.  I've had some extremely screwy result with flaky PSU's - I'm thinking it's gotta be that or his CPU (potentially both, as I've had bad PSU's damage CPUs).

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

yeah PSUs do weird things. Not as weird as bad ram though. OMG I hate bad ram. Memtest86 makes it much easier to test memory though.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195

After weeks of frustration and testing random components, the problem turned out to be my DVI->HDMI converter!!!  I had a replacement and it works fine now.  Talk about something you don't expect to fail!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

DefaultGen:

After weeks of frustration and testing random components, the problem turned out to be my DVI->HDMI converter!!!  I had a replacement and it works fine now.  Talk about something you don't expect to fail!

Wow that did come out of the blue. Glad to hear you got it figured out and thanks for updating us. That will be something I look for from now on. Hope you stick around.Wink

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS