Shortcuts

Question on RAM cooler

This post has 41 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845
Paul Olivenza Jr Posted: Fri, Oct 24 2008 6:03 AM

I have been searching for articles regarding RAM coolers that would work well (without issues) with the Dorminator series . . . the only water block I can find is the Thermaltake Aqua RX R-1 and the coolance RAM 35 . . . (the coolance RAM will only fit if the heat spreader or heat sink can be removed)

Anybody with experience on this? Any advice?

. . . much appreciated. Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

With most ram blocks you will need to remove the heatsinks that came with the ram. I don't recommend ram blocks though. The are rather restrictive and you get small gains at best. You may raise the temps in other areas if your cpu block needs a high flow rate.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

the only ram blocks I have heard of that are any good are from some company in Europe and not available in the U.S.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

With most ram blocks you will need to remove the heatsinks that came with the ram. I don't recommend ram blocks though. The are rather restrictive and you get small gains at best. You may raise the temps in other areas if your cpu block needs a high flow rate.

YUP . . . it's restrictive . . .  a lot of work too. I was just trying to get an idea on this.

Anyway . . .  I'll continue with my research. Wink

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Are you building your first watercooling setup?

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

Are you building your first watercooling setup?

Yes Bob . . . that's why I keep researching and asking. I'm a complete stranger to the "water cooling world" Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Paul Olivenza Jr:

Yes Bob . . . that's why I keep researching and asking. I'm a complete stranger to the "water cooling world" Wink

I just built my first one a month or 2 back. What are you planning to cool?

martinsliquidlab.com Martin has the best reviews anywere.

I got a little inspired by this thread here

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

Paul Olivenza Jr:

I just built my first one a month or 2 back. What are you planning to cool?

martinsliquidlab.com Martin has the best reviews anywere.

I got a little inspired by this thread here

Hey congrats . . . how did it turn out?

What I am planning to cool? . . . here . . . http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/p/40442/317170.aspx#317170 

YesCool

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Turned out great! Are you cooling your gpus and northbridge or just cpu?

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

Turned out great! Are you cooling your gpus and northbridge or just cpu?

I'm planning . . . All!  Big Smile

I'm looking at: Thermaltake 780e on Thermaltake ESA plus: Only for : CPU; Northridge; southridge and VGA. The big water 780e includes ONLY a water block for the CPU so water blocks for the NR;SR and VGA will be bought separately.

. . . and as crazy as It may sound . . . I'm toying with the idea of putting an independent external cooling unit just for my memory and HDD. something like . . . Zalman reserator I . . . a unit which has it's indpendent power supply. Reason why I kept researching and asking questions.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hands-water-cooling-systems,836-9.html

. . . what do you think?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Not sure if the bigwater will keep all that cool. You might be better off with a custom kit. At the least you will need to add a second radiator and a better pump.

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

Not sure if the bigwater will keep all that cool. You might be better off with a custom kit. At the least you will need to add a second radiator and a better pump.

Noted Bob . . . I was afraid of that scenario . . . I'll look deeper into that.

Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Indeed the big water might beable to cool the NB and CPU but thats about it. for any thing bigger your going to need a bigger rad and maybe a double bypass setup. if you going to cool alot of parts with water.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah I would recommend building your own setup. It will cost a little more, but it's really worth it in the end.

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

Der Meister:

Indeed the big water might beable to cool the NB and CPU but thats about it. for any thing bigger your going to need a bigger rad and maybe a double bypass setup. if you going to cool alot of parts with water.

Hey thanks for the input . . . that's exactly what I'm digging on rightnow . . . a triple layer black ice rad and a double bypass set up.

Anybody can give me a double bypass diagram?  Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Paul Olivenza Jr:

Hey thanks for the input . . . that's exactly what I'm digging on rightnow . . . a triple layer black ice rad and a double bypass set up.

Double pass it a radiator that the water goes throught twice before moving to cool again. The black Ice is. The Swiftech radiators are also very nice!

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

Paul Olivenza Jr:

Double pass it a radiator that the water goes throught twice before moving to cool again. The black Ice is. The Swiftech radiators are also very nice!

Yeah . . . I already got that at the link you posted Big Smile . . . (Martin's Lab) . . . what I'm thinking is a diagram of the WC system that has two rads. I'm completely blank on that kind of set up.  Does that recquire two pumps? Huh? 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

It depends. If you have a 655 you should be ok. Glad that link helped you out. When I first started looking up stuff for my setup I couldnt find any reviews and everyone pointed me to martin.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

You would only need 2 pumps if you were creating independant loops otherwise just 1 decent pump. Alot depends on the tuubing and amount of blocks you have in your loops. Are you trying to cool your chipsets, cpu and gpu's all on the same loop? I would recomend 2 independant loops if you are.

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

Oh yes . . . that link was very helpful . . . for a guy who's working on his first Water cooled sysytem . . . you'll get the basics more than what you'll need.

Yes

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Paul Olivenza Jr:

Oh yes . . . that link was very helpful . . . for a guy who's working on his first Water cooled sysytem . . . you'll get the basics more than what you'll need.

Yes

Glad it was. Everything can seem a bit overwellming building your first water loop. Nelsoncp and Warlord have build many watercooled rigs and they can help you more than I can. They helped me with my first one a few months back. I just remember being totally at a loss as to were to start.

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

nelsoncp21:

You would only need 2 pumps if you were creating independant loops otherwise just 1 decent pump. Alot depends on the tuubing and amount of blocks you have in your loops. Are you trying to cool your chipsets, cpu and gpu's all on the same loop? I would recomend 2 independant loops if you are.

Yes mate . . . I'm planning to cool "ALL" including my memory and hard drives . . . and since Bob already gave me a hint that the the big water 780e won't be able to handle the "job" . . . I'm now considering and looking at 2 independent "custom" loops.

If I put up 2 independent loops . . . what are the components that should or normally are put together in one loop? And which is more beneficial . . . 6; 10 or 13 mm tubes?   

Like I've declared right from the start . . . this will be my first water cooled rig project . . . and I'm a complete starnger on the set ups, materials and it's capabilities. You guys are really most helpful.    

Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

1/2" tubing will give you the best flow. This is the tubing I use

http://www.petrastechshop.com/1id3odfeflpv1.html

What is your budget?

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

1/2" tubing will give you the best flow. This is the tubing I use

http://www.petrastechshop.com/1id3odfeflpv1.html

What is your budget?

For the whole project . . . I can go as high as $ 16,000 . . . for as long as it's top of the line in performance.

I'm newly retired and my hobbies are photography including editing; music and film editing and I'm gonna use my rig for stock/money market  also that's why I'm planning to have a rig supporting at least 3 LCD display (but convertible to a gaming rig).

On the other thread . . . the new evga x58 SLI core i7   board was newly released so I'm holding back for a few months until I see the new board's performance . . . most likely the MSI P7N2 will be out of my plan. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

With that budget I would reccomend 2 loops for sure. Also the new i7 cpus should be out soon. Koolance already has a waterblock for them

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

The set up I am working on will be cooling the same components you mentioned. I am actually going to do 3 loops. If you could wing it I would recomend you do the same. How many hard drive blocks will be in this loop. If you could do 3 loops I would recomend your gpu's on their own loop, cpu on another and then your chipsets,ram and hard drives on a third. If you could only do 2 then I would combine your cpu and chipsets,ram and hard drives. Your gonna need some realy good rads to cool them though. You may want to consider going with a larger case for all this too. Moutain mods make some really good cases you could use that you would not really have to mod unless you were into that sorta thingBig Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah MountainMods cases are sick. They are priced high, but totally worth it. Things like cases and watercooling are investments, because they can be used pc after pc.

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

With that budget I would reccomend 2 loops for sure. Also the new i7 cpus should be out soon. Koolance already has a waterblock for them

Great! I'm willing to hold this project until the X58 MOBO is already fully tested.  I'm opting for the latest available components so that maybe . . . . my rig would stand competitve for at least 4 to 5 years without further modifications or changes. Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

nelsoncp21:

The set up I am working on will be cooling the same components you mentioned. I am actually going to do 3 loops. If you could wing it I would recomend you do the same. How many hard drive blocks will be in this loop. If you could do 3 loops I would recomend your gpu's on their own loop, cpu on another and then your chipsets,ram and hard drives on a third. If you could only do 2 then I would combine your cpu and chipsets,ram and hard drives. Your gonna need some realy good rads to cool them though. You may want to consider going with a larger case for all this too. Moutain mods make some really good cases you could use that you would not really have to mod unless you were into that sorta thingBig Smile

I've checked the Mountain Mod Case and it's awesome . . . I haven't seen anything close to this . . . it's preMOD as you need it.

(i'll study the set up further) . . . I'll go for it and the triple loop. The cooler my components are . . . the better . . . more stable and longer life.

I'm expecting and I hope this project will be fully completed March or April next year (2009) . . . depending on the X58 MOBO that I'm targeting. Hoping it could be earllier. Tongue Tied

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah the Moutain Mod cases are truly awesome. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. You should be able to get everything set before march. The longer you hold out the better gpu/cpu etc. you can get for the money.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Reviews of the i7 are out. Check them out here paul. The cpus and motherboards should be available later this month!

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:
Yeah the Moutain Mod cases are truly awesome. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for. You should be able to get everything set before march. The longer you hold out the better gpu/cpu etc. you can get for the money.

I think it's worth it. Instead of me . . . buying a NEW CASE then cutting it into how I want it to serve me . . . then spending money again trying to restore it into an attractive "finish"  . . . the Moutain MOD case would be prefferable. They do all the modifications for you. Big Smile

bob_on_the_cob:
Reviews of the i7 are out. Check them out here paul. The cpus and motherboards should be available later this month!

You're the man Bob! Yes

This is my baby right here:

Gigabyte GA-EX58-Extreme Motherboard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Looks like you have been doing some planning.Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Looks like the cpus are hitting stores on the 17th!

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

Looks like the cpus are hitting stores on the 17th!

Good news!

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

Looks like you have been doing some planning.Big Smile

Of course my friend . . . if we're gonna spend that kind of money for a rig might as well plan it very well. Wink

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

if you go with that case I would recomend you go with two triple 120 rads in the front and 1 dual either off the back or the top. very similar to the setup I working on. I opted for the PA 120.3 rads with the shroud so I could pair with some very low rpm fans to keep it quiet. All those fans could get very loud it you don't go for the lower rpm fans. You'll have a very hard time trying to get that case cramped upBig Smile.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah you should check out nelsoncp21's thread sometime. He is doing a beautiful mod.

Edit: Found a nice deal on a rad and fans

http://www.petrastechshop.com/ptsulracomce.html

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

nelsoncp21:

if you go with that case I would recomend you go with two triple 120 rads in the front and 1 dual either off the back or the top. very similar to the setup I working on. I opted for the PA 120.3 rads with the shroud so I could pair with some very low rpm fans to keep it quiet. All those fans could get very loud it you don't go for the lower rpm fans. You'll have a very hard time trying to get that case cramped upBig Smile.

Yeah there's no way to go but PA 120.3 . . . as to the fan . . . i haven't checked the RPMs issues . . . a fan controller should be handy too.

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 845

bob_on_the_cob:

Yeah you should check out nelsoncp21's thread sometime. He is doing a beautiful mod.

Edit: Found a nice deal on a rad and fans

http://www.petrastechshop.com/ptsulracomce.html

Hey thanks. Geeked

Page 1 of 2 (42 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS