Apple's PC Market Share Nears 10%

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,797
Points 1,163,410
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Oct 17 2008 10:56 AM
A company on the brink?  That's what Apple was before it made its dramatic comeback.  Now, in the latest Gartner report, on Q3 PC shipments (note, these are preliminary numbers), Apple's market share in the U.S. has grown to 9.5%, up from 7.7% last year, a growth of 29.4%.  Nearly double-digits.

IDC's numbers were similar to Garter's, pegging Apple's U.S. share at 9.1%, up from 7.3%, a growth of 32.0% year-over-year.

But (there's always a but), both Gartner and IDC noticed that a major part of the global overall upswing (15%) in PC sales was a burgeoning netbook component.  Gartner said:

"The mini-notebook segment experienced strong growth in the global PC, led by robust growth in the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) region. In the North America market, the economic crunch created more interest in the sub $500 segment. Because the mini-notebook is still a new segment, it is too early to determine if the emerging segment created new market opportunities, or if it cannibalized lower priced systems."

Not bad, except as Gartner further noted, Apple doesn't play in that segment:

"Even though Apple lowered prices yesterday, it's still above other laptops in the U.S. Netbooks' prices are even lower, less than $500, and averaging $349-399. That's bringing down the average selling price. I don't know how Apple can play there."

However, Apple's always placed a premium price on its hardware, as noted in Microsoft's latest spin on an "Apple Tax."  So, in the long run, will this even be a big deal, and make a difference?  Or maybe our next Apple event will be a netbook intro.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,700
3vi1 replied on Fri, Oct 17 2008 2:42 PM

I think this is great: Microsoft needs some serious competition to spur them to actual innovation, and having multiple platforms throughout the "real world" will force companies to standardize on formats/protocols instead of applications.

I would have rather it been Linux with the 10% share... but still, we all win.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165
lolWut replied on Fri, Oct 17 2008 3:53 PM

never had a mac, dont see why anyone would want a mac (unless you're into video editing). Buy a PC and throw linux on there instead of buying a mac, its free, doesnt have all those restrictions they put on macs and it works great. Linux just needs some advertising... most of the population doesnt even know linux exists.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

lolWut:

never had a mac, dont see why anyone would want a mac (unless you're into video editing). Buy a PC and throw linux on there instead of buying a mac, its free, doesnt have all those restrictions they put on macs and it works great. Linux just needs some advertising... most of the population doesnt even know linux exists.

Most people still freak about installing/reinstalling any OS on there pcs. I do really wish linux got some more market share. Its not the hard to install monster it used to be. In many ways its better and easier that windows. Good to here OSX is getting some market share at least.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,063
Points 10,760
Grahf replied on Sun, Oct 19 2008 8:32 PM

3vi1:

I think this is great: Microsoft needs some serious competition to spur them to actual innovation, and having multiple platforms throughout the "real world" will force companies to standardize on formats/protocols instead of applications.

Like Apple has done anything innovative lately in the PC space... Smile

I beat the Internet... the end guy was hard

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Grahf:

3vi1:

Like Apple has done anything innovative lately in the PC space... Smile

Very true, but Ipods seem to sell macs.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS