ATI Radeon HD 4550 Entry-Level DX 10.1 GPU

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,171
Points 1,185,675
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Sep 29 2008 11:11 PM
AMD continues their procession of new ATI Radeons today, with a couple of new entry-level offerings targeted at users who would like to upgrade from underpowered IGPs. Like the Radeon HD 4670 that came before it, the new Radeon HD 4550 and HD 4350 being rolled out today are based on the same GPU architecture first introduced with the popular Radeon HD 4800 series. The Radeon HD 4550 and HD 4350 both offer support for DirectX 10.1, DisplayPort, AVIVO with the UVD 2 engine, and CrossFire, although they do not have CrossFire bridge connectors like AMD's higher-end offerings. As such, these new entry-level cards sport virtually all of the same features as their more expensive, and more powerful, counterparts--they just don't perform on the same level.

We've got one of AMD's passively cooled Radeon HD 4550 cards in-house and plan to show you all what it's made of on the pages ahead. There's a half-height actively cooled version coming out as well, however, pictured below. Go ahead and take a gander at the teaser shots and specifications. We'll get down to business and see what the Radeon HD 4550 is really made of a little later.

ATI Radeon HD 4550 Entry-Level DX 10.1 GPU

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Tue, Sep 30 2008 6:25 PM

Wow... interesting benchmarks. The model number is very deceptive in relation to its sucktitude.

So I use a different dictionary. Wanna fight about it?

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,589
Points 54,900
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Sep 30 2008 9:24 PM

Hmm... "sucktitude" is rather strong there 3vil one. For cheap dough you can get a card that will provide full H.264 offload and some level of graphics, to replace some lame onboard graphics implementation. You get what you pay for. Want to drop $200 on a card or more and you'll get 4X the performance or more... simple math.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Dave_HH:

Hmm... "sucktitude" is rather strong there 3vil one. For cheap dough you can get a card that will provide full H.264 offload and some level of graphics, to replace some lame onboard graphics implementation. You get what you pay for. Want to drop $200 on a card or more and you'll get 4X the performance or more... simple math.

This is the kind of card I drop im family computers. They don't wanna spend $200 and for $50 they think games look crazy good on cheap cards. All they have to compare to is onboard. I use to only buy $100 or less gpus. Now thanks to my 8800 and even worse the 4870s I'm addicted to the high end.Wink

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Oct 1 2008 10:12 AM

Good points...

But, being unable to hit 30fps in any modern games is where I draw the "not worth it at any price"/sucks line. For non-gamers, I can see your point.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS