Hello, and we have a problem.

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 180
Derfalconer Posted: Sat, Sep 13 2008 11:47 PM

Well I'll start by introducing myself. I've been lurking around HH for a few years now (think since around 06 or so), just never made an account as I've always been more of the lurking type. I'm a friend in RL with Jerkwheat for those of you old school people who might remember him. Well now that that's out of the way lets get down to business:

Last tuesday my trusty old setup decided it was time to pass on into the system graveyard. Well as I'm in school now this is quite a problem as I do need something to do homework on and such, and, of course, get my game on. So a day and 400$ later I made a hasty decision to buy the following parts (for reference in later parts of the post): An Asus M3A-H/HDMI motherboard, an AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition, and 2 gigs of some cheapo g.skill ddr2 800 ram. Well I got the parts last night and built it then, made sure it would boot, which it did after making me sweat at first with its rolling restarts until it booted into windows. Fine, at least it all works except for this stuttering which occurs in games (TF2, BF2, I assume the others as well), which I chalked up to needing to reformat anyways since its all new hardware.

The old hardware that is to my knowledge still good would be the xfx 7950GT silent pipe, 430W thermaltake psu, and some run o' the mill HD/dvd drive.

So today I reformatted, did the whole install and download all the junk I had before dance. Didn't actually get to play a game until just recently which I was somewhat disturbed to see the stutter was back. In TF2 I push around 70-100fps with the exception of the stutters/stops where it drops to 0 for 1-2 seconds.

The asus probe temp monitoring utility says when Its under load that the motherboard chipset goes over the heat threshold of the program (set at 45C) and with the side of the case on goes to around 50C, with a floor fan, 46C. The CPU isnt too hot, around 42 at load with the fan on. No overclocking on anything currently.

So I'm all ears on this issue, I haven't upgraded since I got my trusty old athlon 3500 back in 06, so I'm not really up to date on issues with current hardware, and havent experienced an issue such as this. I have read that the higher wattage 9850 b.e. needs better case cooling for the chipset and mosfets, dunno if that could cause the stuttering or not. Thanks for any help on this issue, and I look forward to being a part of the forum.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Welcome to HH! I do remember jerkwheat.

Are you using XP? The temps you have don't seem to off the wall. I would look at the PSU. What killed your old pc?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 180

Hey thanks, yeah I am currently using xp 32 bit. Also I thought the temps werent too bad either, just that the threshold was set low for the chipset. To my knowledge, since I didn't really have much time to investigate what did the old one in as my top priority was getting a new one up quick. I would surmise that the old motherboard died, and since it was 939 (curse you amd for bringing in a new socket just as I bought my setup) socket I couldn't do much about that in terms of replacing. towards the end it would do several things: 1) it would lock up which was uncharacteristic of what was for so long a stable system. 2) sometimes after lockup, and sometimes out of thin air it would decide arbitrarily to not throw a video signal, and just either go in one long constant reboot cycle or stay powered on with no video. Dont believe it was windows because it never, ever, BSOD'd on me, or did anything too out of the ordinary for windows.

I guess tomorrow it would be possible to hop on over to a friend's house and try a known good psu of possibly higher wattage. Though I have seen benchmarks with the proccessor and an 8800GTX only pull around 350-370W at peak, though my psu could not be delievering enough volts or watts which is entirely possible.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah sounds like a power issue to me. Maybe not enough volts on the 12v rail.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 180

You may have something there, and I will definately test it with another power supply hopefully tomorrow, asus probe puts the 12v between 11.7-11.82v, though it puts the 5v at .08 over and the 3.3 at .01 over, could that be enough of a loss on the 12v to cause this little stutter step assuming that the data is correct? though I'm not sure I entirely trust this tool, it could be lower. Also have to reformat, this install of windows is just the dregs, cant play tf2, steam and xfire aren't working properly, among other things. runtime errors, dll errors. Bleh, why cant it just run without problems :P

ninja edit: party like your post count is 1999! (what a terribly nerdy joke =/)

Update: I found the stuttering/freezing was actually caused when a key was held down, as an error in the BIOS cause the system to sort of stop. An flash fixed this, so I might not have to spend more money after all (yay!). Though it does help to put your problems down in words to analyze them better, thanks for the help and I'll update if something else goes wrong after I reformat (this windows install is terrible =/)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Good to here. Was a key stuck down in your keyboard?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 180

No, it was a BIOS error that when a key was depressed and held, I dont know whats the best way to describe it so I'll just say, it interuppted everything going on as long as the key was held. An update fixed it, so far so good.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Mon, Sep 15 2008 10:57 PM

While I don't understand the fix, I am very happy for you that you solved the problem, Derfalconer!Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 180

Yeah, well the Asus site is kind of translated poorly from I would assume chinese/taiwanese or whichever native language they use into english so this is the issue the BIOS update stated it fixed : "Fix under notepad when using PS2 keyboard and keeping any button of keyboard pressed, the cursor would suddenly stop." I suppose I could have just taken off the ps2 adapter and just used it usb, but I dont have many usb ports ;)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Derfalconer:

Yeah, well the Asus site is kind of translated poorly from I would assume chinese/taiwanese or whichever native language they use into english so this is the issue the BIOS update stated it fixed : "Fix under notepad when using PS2 keyboard and keeping any button of keyboard pressed, the cursor would suddenly stop." I suppose I could have just taken off the ps2 adapter and just used it usb, but I dont have many usb ports ;)

lol I think they use google translatorWink

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

Derfalconer:
"Fix under notepad when using PS2 keyboard and keeping any button of keyboard pressed, the cursor would suddenly stop."

Thanks for posting that as I now understand! It really does pay to read the BIOS release notes when upgrading!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS