Four-Way SSD Round-Up, OCZ, Super Talent, Mtron

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,480
Points 1,196,075
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 4 2008 12:58 PM

Solid State Drive technology is set to turn the storage industry on its ear; there is little doubt of this.  When you consider the intrinsic benefits of anything built on solid state technology versus anything mechanical, it doesn't take a degree in physics to understand the obvious advantages. 

On the following pages, we thought we'd level-set the features, performance and pricing landscape for you with respect to the current state of SSDs.  Today, we have a look at four different SSD offerings, two from OCZ, one from Mtron and another from Super Talent.  Is a Solid State Disk in your future?  We'll try to help you answer that question in this full performance evaluation and showcase.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 469
Points 7,050
AjayD replied on Thu, Sep 4 2008 4:03 PM

I have to say, I expected a far more pronounced difference between the SSDs power consumption and that of the VelociRaptor. Considering the minuscule difference in power consumption, I would assume that the operating temperatures are also fairly similar.

Nice Round-Up HH. I am really looking forward to seeing how the new 256GB Samsung MLC SSD and Intel's upcoming offerings perform.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,730
warlord replied on Thu, Sep 4 2008 6:19 PM

I am glad to see ssd starting to finally come to the forefront

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,490
Points 47,190
ForumsAdministrator

That's a great review, guys.Yes I have been looking forward to reading this article and you haven't let me down!Big Smile As SSD prices drop I would very much like to see the manufacturers drop something else: the mail-in rebate scam. But thanks again for the comparo! 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 50
MMC replied on Thu, Sep 4 2008 10:35 PM

Nice for a notebook 32gb or netbook perhaps ... but I guess I cannot see myself building my 4TB HD media server/PVR using them in a raid set could buy a house for less in some areas.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Yeah but price will come down. They are selling it to the rich to fund development. We will get the rewards in the end.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,730
warlord replied on Thu, Sep 4 2008 10:57 PM

bob_on_the_cob:

Yeah but price will come down. They are selling it to the rich to fund development. We will get the rewards in the end.

Very true. I remember my first hd. It was a quantem fireball 1.2 gb ...I think i paid $175 for it. Prices sound familiar?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,490
Points 47,190
ForumsAdministrator

MMC:

Nice for a notebook 32gb or netbook perhaps ... but I guess I cannot see myself building my 4TB HD media server/PVR using them in a raid set could buy a house for less in some areas.

Not too sure I would want to live there, but HEY, welcome to HotHardware, MMC! We are happy to have you join us!Yes So where are you posting from?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,649
Points 55,380
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Sep 6 2008 6:51 PM

Heya MMC and welcome!

Yeah, they're still a bit pricey but it's only a matter of time before they get in line competing technology.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,649
Points 55,380
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Sep 6 2008 7:03 PM

AjayD:

I have to say, I expected a far more pronounced difference between the SSDs power consumption and that of the VelociRaptor. Considering the minuscule difference in power consumption, I would assume that the operating temperatures are also fairly similar.

Nice Round-Up HH. I am really looking forward to seeing how the new 256GB Samsung MLC SSD and Intel's upcoming offerings perform.

Thanks dudes!  Big Smile  Stick around over the next few days!  More exciting stuff coming in this space from a BIG NAME player.  Wink

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

Sounds like you have something up your sleeve.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,730
warlord replied on Mon, Sep 8 2008 1:04 AM

I can't wait to see whats in store Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS