PC doesn't start, presuming dead motherboard, bought a new CPU and still won't boot.

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195
DefaultGen Posted: Tue, Aug 26 2008 9:55 PM

Hey guys, to make things short here's what's happened:  I came home one day, computer is off, when I press the power button it turns on for half a second then turns off and it keeps looping as if it's trying to turn on.  Might've been a power surge when I was gone (I bought a surge protector now...)  I've reseated everything, checked for shorts, tried a different power supply, and even bought a new CPU, still no dice.  The only way my PC will even turn on is if I unplug the 4-pin power plug to my motherboard, which I thought gave power to the CPU which is why I bought a new CPU.  Should I buy a new board?  Any other tests I should do?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Tue, Aug 26 2008 10:03 PM

Sounds like you have done a good bit of troubleshooting. Could you post your specs to give us a little more background?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195
DefaultGen replied on Tue, Aug 26 2008 10:27 PM

If you need something else I can go look it up, this is just from memory

Old CPU - Q6700 (Never OC'd)
New CPU - Q9550 (Never OC'd, straight from box, AS5 + aftermarket cooler)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
RAM - Nvidia SLi 1066mhz (2gb)
HDD - Some 250gb WD IDE drive
PSU - Thermaltake 750W Toughpower (Also tested with a 500W Antec)
GPU - HD 4850 or whatever that good deal one is

Again, the PC boots if I unplug the 4-pin to the motherboard, with no video output of course.  The CPU fan spins, the lights on GPU light up, all my case fans work, etc.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Tue, Aug 26 2008 10:44 PM

Do you here any post code beeps?  Do you have a spare video card to test? If no post code I would be inclined to say motherboard. Best  of luck.

Fold On!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 195
DefaultGen replied on Tue, Aug 26 2008 11:27 PM

Tested with both a 7800GT and the HD 4850.  Guess I'll replace the mobo, thanks.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Wed, Aug 27 2008 12:24 AM

Sorry to here it. Best of luck with it. Also welcome to HotHardware be sure and stick around there is a wealth of info here.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,371
Points 80,285

Id also look into the ram, it can be the problem as well. Try booting with the DIMM's in diffrent ports an one at a time.

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Thu, Aug 28 2008 2:17 AM

Did you flush the rad before fitting it to the loop? It just dawned on me that you may have skipped this step. Do you see anything in your fluid?  Anything like say either a darkish film or white calcium deposit looking stuff in your loop. How is your flow. Is the fluid you are using a synthetic fluid? Take to test cup use a controlled of water and one of your fluid. Do the 2 have the same viscocity? Does the fluid has the same action as the water or is it just slightly thicker.

I ask because i have seen horrible results from products especially fluid xp. With the synthetics at some point the silca will fail and the fluid can no longer suspend the silica the result is of course clumping of the silca and a slowing of flow. In extreme cases i have had flow near completely stopped after prolonged use. They advertise a delta of between 1c and 3c from water however i have tested and the true delta checks between 5-11c over water leaving water not only superiour in performance but also safer for the pump rad waterblock and ultimately your rig.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS