The Future For Hard Drives Is Solid!

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave Posted: Fri, Aug 8 2008 3:03 PM

To SSD Or Not To SSD. Some excellent reading right HERE, guys!

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Thu, Aug 14 2008 12:15 AM

SSD is worth it if for no other reason than no defrag for me. Now the price just needs to drop

Fold On!!!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

You don't have to defrag a SSD?

Edit: never mind I found the answer. Guess I should read the post first.Embarrassed

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Aug 27 2008 12:44 PM

I'm giving them a couple of more years to get the SSD quality up and the price down, at which point I'll probably go hybrid:  SSD for the OS and apps, and more traditional multi-terabyte drives for data.

Though, I'd definitely consider it right away for a laptop - were I in the market.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I'd say the other way around regular HDs for the OS and apps and SSDs for data.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Aug 27 2008 8:55 PM

bob_on_the_cob:

I'd say the other way around regular HDs for the OS and apps and SSDs for data.

Then you wouldn't get the speed benefit when booting the OS (lots of small files, less seek time).  The only thing related to the OS that I would put on a standard drive would be the swap partition (and that's actually optional 'data', in my viewpoint).

If you have a huge amount of data, it's much more economical to put it on standard drives.  If you're not worried about capacity, cost of mirroring, and re-write lifetime, going SSD all the way is probably best.

-J

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135

I was thinking relability. Save your data on the SSDs and the current speed of say a raptor drive for your OS and games. Cost being no option of course. When the price goes down and the performance gets better for sure SSD all the way.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, Oct 13 2008 2:44 PM

raptor drives rock, still using my old 74gb 16mb cache raptor. 

in the future i see ssd for os/games/aps (like a raptor) and regular hard drives for data, music, video etc...
basically replace a raptor with a ssd :-p  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,374
Points 80,315

Indeed i agree with Ice_73 the are good applications but spinnig state drives have their use for mass storage...

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 840
diemos replied on Wed, Apr 1 2009 2:30 PM

Thanks for the read, but yea SSD is the future for sure, once it gets cheap enough.

Star Stunning 1000FPS Video - Sports, Cheerleaders and Jello! Indifferent

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
Nyaa replied on Thu, Aug 26 2010 5:03 AM

Still waiting for the price to drop though :[

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,236
Points 37,910
AKwyn replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 11:52 AM

bob_on_the_cob:

I was thinking relability. Save your data on the SSDs and the current speed of say a raptor drive for your OS and games. Cost being no option of course. When the price goes down and the performance gets better for sure SSD all the way.

I also agree. I've mainly been looking for a SLC drive because they're much more reliable then MLC drives but I can't any one that's 256GBs or more. If I could buy 4 of those or 6 then maybe I can have myself a fast ass system.

"The future starts with you; now start posting more!"

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil Stick out tongue [:P] replied on Fri, Sep 10 2010 1:37 PM

SSD's are rockin'. But they cost far too much and that's what's slowing their implementation in the marketplace. I ended up with a little bit of cash about a month ago and bought one of them on sale. It's only 60GB in size, so I had to put the OS on it and the Data and swap file on a Seagate 1TB drive.

It's crazy fast compared to a regular drive being the OS drive. The computer boots up much faster than before, and it's more responsive too.

So yeah,.....I'm really glad I bought it, but it's price left me Wilted Flower licking my wounds. Wilted Flower

I wonder if the manufacturers ever read these pages, if they do, I wonder why they're so thick about the prices? Selling in huge QUANTITIES makes you money too!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 790
EHarler replied on Tue, Jun 7 2011 10:22 AM

I've been debating on weather to make the leap or not.  What's holding me back is reliability right now, rather than price.  One hears way too many stories of SSDs dying pretty fast.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS