rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 90
johnysums Posted: Wed, Aug 6 2008 2:02 PM

Board: Intel Corporation D945GCNL AAD97184-103
CPU: e7200
I really want to have this cpu/motherboard combination, is there any way to make them compatible, even though the intel compatibility tool says they're not? There must be something I can do, updating bios or something like that. You don't need to know about this exact combination, I'm just asking to see if anyone was able to put together a combination that the intel tool said wouldn't be compatible...
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 3:21 PM

You will have to stick to either a 65nm cpu or change boards . The board will run it but not at spec and won't detect the cpu properly. Unfortunanitly no bios update can get around the physical short comings on the board its design wasn't intended for the 45nm cpu.I personaly haven't tried the combo. I did see that board not run the 8400 which is also 45nm so I would us that as a indicator. Have you already put your money down on that board?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 1,395

Yeah, that's not going to work.  As an alternative you could get a low cost board such as the DG31PR (Pearl Creek) that offers good features as a decent price.  It also gives you forward compatibility for quad core cpu's to upgrade to in the future, as well as a dedicated PCI-express slot for graphics. 

ASUS Rampage Formula; Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 @5.13GHz; 4GB Buffalo Firestix PC2-9600 DDR2; Thermaltake Armor w/ Bigwater SE; XFX Geforce 9800 GTX 'Black Edition'; Corsair HX620 Power Supply 620W

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 90
johnysums replied on Thu, Aug 7 2008 10:17 AM

warlord:

You will have to stick to either a 65nm cpu or change boards . The board will run it but not at spec and won't detect the cpu properly. Unfortunanitly no bios update can get around the physical short comings on the board its design wasn't intended for the 45nm cpu.I personaly haven't tried the combo. I did see that board not run the 8400 which is also 45nm so I would us that as a indicator. Have you already put your money down on that board?

Are you sure about that 65-45nm thing, because i've been searching quite a bit around other forums and most people said that it doesn't matter, and that I should be concerned with socket type (which is supposed to be compatible with the e7200). Also, what do you mean "wont detect cpu properly", is that like a big problem you're talking about or little annoyances. As for the second answer, I've had this board for a long time and I wanted to upgrade my cpu and I've heard lots of good things about the e7200. I've checked everything that has to do with compatibility and everything seems to match I cant seem to figure out what's the problem. Either its like warlord said (the 45-65nm compatibility) or some bios update issue. Does anyone have a sure answer to this??

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 1,395

From Intel support: 

'Due to the voltage load lines of the 45nm E7000 and E8000 series Intel processors, the 945 series of chipsets is NOT supported.  Possible damage may occur, and therefor any use of these processors on said chipsets would immediatly void the processor warranty and/or mainboard warranty.'

So that should answer your question.  While the processor may theoretically work, I'm not sure I would chance the damage to either product.

ASUS Rampage Formula; Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 @5.13GHz; 4GB Buffalo Firestix PC2-9600 DDR2; Thermaltake Armor w/ Bigwater SE; XFX Geforce 9800 GTX 'Black Edition'; Corsair HX620 Power Supply 620W

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 10,995
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Aug 7 2008 1:57 PM

johnysums:

Are you sure about that 65-45nm thing, because i've been searching quite a bit around other forums and most people said that it doesn't matter, and that I should be concerned with socket type (which is supposed to be compatible with the e7200).

When most people say it doesn't matter, what boards are they talking about? If you are looking at other forums, I would assume they are enthusiast forums with people with "enthusiast" motherboards. I guess my motherboard is pretty "old" in that it was the first Nvidia chipset to support the Core 2 series. But with a BIOS update, it can support the new Wolfdale processors. But boards like the one that comes with a Dell system probably don't fare as well since they weren't designed with the upgrader in mind. Dell just needs a cheap board that can support a few processors which appear as the options when you configure a pc.

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 90

1nteljunki3:

From Intel support: 

'Due to the voltage load lines of the 45nm E7000 and E8000 series Intel processors, the 945 series of chipsets is NOT supported.  Possible damage may occur, and therefor any use of these processors on said chipsets would immediatly void the processor warranty and/or mainboard warranty.'

So that should answer your question.  While the processor may theoretically work, I'm not sure I would chance the damage to either product.

Thanks, just what I needed to know. Well, then, I guess I need the cheapest possible motherboard that can support this processor. ANy Ideas? I was looking for something that can handle a little upgrades further down the line...any help would be much appreciated.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
Doing a quick search on newegg I found a bunch of open box mobos for around $40 and retail ones for about $55 and up that should meet your needs.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS