NVIDIA GPU PhysX Pack Preview

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,570
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Aug 6 2008 9:17 AM

Physics: as geeks, we just have to love the subject. We loved learning about geniuses like Isaac Newton and concepts like gravity, acceleration and inertia. Also, typical of geeks, we love gaming. So, combining physics acceleration and gaming just sounds like a really cool idea. For the past several years, we've been learning more and more about physics in gaming in the form of PhysX, a technology created by a company called Ageia. The original approach to PhysX by Ageia was a dedicated PhysX card that sported a PPU (physics processing unit). Ageia partnered with companies like BFG and ASUS to bring the PhysX cards to market. We actually reviewed the BFG version here in the HotHardware labs over two years ago. The entire real-time, in-game physics landscape has changed quite a bit since that time, however. With NVIDIA's relatively recent acquisition of Ageia, we all knew it was only a matter of time before we'd see some kind of announcement or launch detailing what NVIDIA's plans were with the PhysX technology...

NVIDIA GPU PhysX Pack Preview

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Points 18,720
warlord replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 3:28 PM

Where is Farcry2 or Crysis Warhead support or any of the relavent triple A Titles. Unreal tournament 3 being really the only title on that list i played it just doesn't have staying power yet. I hope to see that change in the next 2 years as game designers will start actively persueing this new tech now that there is a little better saturation with nvidia owning the tech and it being in current gen hardware.

Fold on

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Wed, Aug 6 2008 3:52 PM
It seems like this type of announcement will only help increase the support for bigger titles.

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,181
Points 90,135
I agree. With nvidia owning them there should be much more money thrown in to the game. Also were do I get this physx pack? I have the drivers already.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 210
Points 2,845
shanewu replied on Thu, Aug 7 2008 10:57 AM
My understanding is that it will be available next week sometime.

"Everyone always wants new things. Everybody likes new inventions, new technology. People will never be replaced by machines. In the end, life and business are about human connections. And computers are about trying to murder you in a lake. And to me, the choice is easy." - Michael Scott (The Office)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS