OCZ's NIA Brain-Computer Interface Controller

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,195
Points 1,186,465
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jul 21 2008 9:32 AM
OCZ lays claim to being the first company to bring a "brain-computer" interface to the retail market and they have aimed it squarely at the gamer. The device is called the NIA, which is an acronym that stands for Neural Impulse Actuator, and instead of buttons, sticks,  gyroscopes or motion sensors, it reads the body's natural biosignals and translates them into commands that can be used to control PC games.

No question, it's a pretty wild product.  Go now and see.

• | Post Points: 200
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 11:15 AM
Great article! Thanks for doing a review on the NIA, as I've been wondering about its qualities lately. I think it sounds like a blast, and an interesting way to teach me how to take control of my brain. I'll probably get one of these in the not too distant future, after my next splurge.

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 20
replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 11:47 AM

So, Does it actually use brainwaves to work or is it really just measure twitch muscles or something ? It sounds cool but it also sounds gimicky. I guess the question that bugs me is Why have one ? I guess it would definately be something to talk about with your buds.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 12:56 PM
It does a combination of both actually.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Points 2,540
JeffB replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 3:08 PM
Jeff's brain can't handle this man!
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 7:00 PM

Ha I told my mother about this she was disgusted how gaming is no literally getting to your head.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 7:11 PM
Wow, this article totally got pimped by Engadget. Nice work!

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 8:23 PM

I love how ENgadget gets a lotta reports from here now. Big Smile

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

I wonder how this thing'll work out for people with chemically imbalanced brains i.e. skitzos, etc. lol!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 250
Points 4,510
nECrO1967 replied on Tue, Jul 22 2008 5:01 PM

recoveringknowitall:

I wonder how this thing'll work out for people with chemically imbalanced brains i.e. skitzos, etc. lol!!!

LOL. You'll find out next time you play an FPS and see a guy running around randomly shooting at nothing and hopping like he's on steroids.... wait, that's 99% of the servers out there! :) Nevermind. ;)

Seriously though. I really think this could be great if used WITH a keyboard/mouse.

I used to carry a hammer in my computer tool kit. Just for fixing the packard Bells though.......

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,053
Points 60,715
3vi1 replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 11:18 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it's more than I expected (a face twitch sensor).

Does OCZ have plans to make this work with any consoles or alternate OS's?  I play most games on PS3, 360, and Wii... and only occasionally use WINE to play CS:Source or EQ on Linux.

If not for the Windows-only aspect, I'd buy one right now.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

Not Ranked
Posts 0
Points 5
Cygnis replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 4:34 PM
Looks like fun.. For those with the time to devote to learning the device, it could really turn out to be quite a bump to ones gaming. Especially if one has the time, on a day to day basis.

Considering we have limited understanding of our own brains, and their capability.

Tho, truly, the potential of such a device is limited only by one self.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815

nECrO1967:
You'll find out next time you play an FPS and see a guy running around randomly shooting at nothing and hopping like he's on steroids.... wait, that's 99% of the servers out there! :) Nevermind. ;)

lol... your joke's funnier than mine mainly because it's so true!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Get Moving in Cyber Space

Imagine your motor cortex fully activated while you have full muscle tone but both what your cortex says you are experiencing and what you are actually experiencing are not what you body is actually doing. You were trained to do this on a brain computer interface. Highly Skilled lucid dreamers in intense sessions and brain tomography on the level of seismic tomography make this all possible. Accessing the brain thru non-invasive means is vital in Berlin where Brain Computer Interfacers and the Locked-in are moving things with only their minds; however, one might say that all this research is treading water awaiting advances in Neuro-surgery.  I’m pitching the thoroughly developed non-invasive technique as a necessary prelude to the invasive interface.  I’m just looking for sympathetic places to post the story I’m telling in the form of a fictitious photo journal.

http://loreta-mocap-bci.blogspot.com/

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

recoveringknowitall:

Now that funny recovering! I dont care who you are thats funny! Seeing how it is that I,ve had 2 Brain surgeries and they scrambled things around a lot in there and my motor skills and my cognitive thinking skills SUCK this just might have to be some of my new RIG arsenal. Im serious how much does one of those toys cost! Hmmmmm I wonder if I can get my medicare and Humana policy to pay for me one for MEDICAL Necessecity! LOL   Well Its a thought then I might be able to go to combat with some of you guys online playing crysis and others. Others I,ll have to put up a donation cup at some stores around here! LOLWink

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
sandymiss replied on Mon, Jun 22 2009 4:19 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, I wish it had worked.Stick out tongue

simulation credit auto

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 5
kinkon23 replied on Thu, Aug 13 2009 3:18 AM

Accessing the brain thru non-invasive means is vital in Berlin where Brain Computer Interfacers and the Locked-in are moving things with only their minds; however, one might say that all this research is treading water awaiting advances in Neuro-surgery.  I’m pitching the thoroughly developed non-invasive technique as a necessary prelude to the invasive interface.  I’m just looking for sympathetic places to post the story I’m telling in the form of a fictitious photo journal.

nature cleanse
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40
Stephaned replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 12:47 AM

This is a waste of time in my mind , controllers like the Novint Falcon are gonna leave these kind of weird experiments hidden in the shadows.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 110
sonicb00m replied on Mon, Sep 21 2009 8:31 PM

This whole idea frightens me. I definitly think we should try and get a better understanding of the human brain before we start tinkering with this sort of experimental stuff. Besides, I am indeed quite satisfied with my mouse and keyboard combo.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165
neilganon replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 9:46 PM

I think the problem would be keeping focused on the game. Wouldn't it be easy to get distracted and send random commands to the game?

e8400 | HDT-s1823 | 4GB| EP45-UD3P| 8800GTS 512MB | WD 500GB + WD Black 1TB | p182

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 165
neilganon replied on Tue, Sep 22 2009 9:47 PM

I think the problem would be keeping focused on the game. Wouldn't it be easy to get distracted and send random commands to the game?

e8400 | HDT-s1823 | 4GB| EP45-UD3P| 8800GTS 512MB | WD 500GB + WD Black 1TB | p182

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have copied my key board to it, can u earn some money by using Alfa1, Alfa2, Alfa3, at same time as a keyboard. same is Beta1, Beta2, Beta3, Just let ur brains think :) , i wrote 2 bages alreay some kind of skript :)

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 200

Im not sure how i feel about this.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 105
Seth replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 2:43 PM

i think if you use this and Oculus Rift at the same time, you become Neo. But seriously, I feel like this could have a lot of beneficial uses for people with muscular distrophy or ALS.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
RonnyMyra replied on Sun, May 25 2014 11:44 PM

As you know that the mobile phone signal jammer can cut off the signals of the mobile phones and soon make it impossible to make phone calls or send messages. In this way when you need the peaceful condition and want to stay in it, you can just use the phone blocker to help you achieve your goal. And now as the technology develops with high speed the advanced phone blocker has come into the market and are well welcomed by the group of people who need the jammer product.

Page 1 of 1 (25 items) | RSS