Asus Maximus II Formula Intel P45 Motherboard

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,805
Points 1,164,215
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jul 14 2008 11:36 AM

At first glance, Intel's technical documentation for the new P45 / G45 Express series chipsets, you'll note looks alarmingly similar to the previous generation P35 / G35 Express series that this new lineup of chipsets is meant to replace. As the P35 series was a rather successful architecture, this immediately struck us on a positive first note about the P45. The more we read on, the more we realized that the Intel P45 chipset shares many of the same features and attributes as Intel’s high-end X38 / X48 chipsets, just at a much lower price point.

Initial reports about the Intel P45 have shown the chipset to be strong, as early end-user reports have shown that first generation motherboards are already hitting front side bus speeds well over 500 MHz (2,000 MHz FSB) with preliminary BIOS releases. As the P45 chipset uses a more modern 65nm manufacturing technology (compared to 90nm of previous generations), the strong overclockability of the chipset wasn’t too unexpected. Die shrinks typically do help overclockability, along with lowered power consumption and heat production levels.

As the Intel P35 and P45 are so similar, motherboard manufacturers have been quick to adopt this new product and integrate it into their existing board designs. However, there are some companies, like Asus, who take the P45 to another level that we weren’t expecting this early on in the chipset's lifecycle.

Of course, this all leads up to what we’re interested in here today, Asus’s new high-end motherboard based on the P45 chipset. Typically, motherboards in the Asus "Republic of Gamers" (RoG) family come out a few months after initial products, as it gives them a chance to get a feel for the chipset and really refine the motherboard's design. Apparently that wasn’t needed for the P45 though. Dubbed the Maximus II Formula, this new P45 motherboard takes off where Asus’s P35 gaming platforms, the Blitz-series, left off. So Join us, will you, on a look at the Asus Maximus II Formula Intel P45 motherboard.

Asus Maximus II Formula Intel P45 Motherboard

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Thats my board that what I want for Christmas.Match it with a E8400 or E8500 wolfdale and got a great setup!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Thu, Jul 17 2008 8:36 PM

The original maximus  has always been a favorite even though I never bought it, this should be really good.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

this could make picking out a mb for some people a little harder. x38 or p45. with the x48's and 790's being so overpriced I think this may be the sweet spot but still MB's are twice that of the prices they used to be 2-3 years ago for an enthusist class mb even when going with these models.

replied on Sun, Jul 20 2008 10:49 PM

That's unfortunate, I just built a SFF PC for a friend and used the G35 chipset and this would of been much better. But on a Side note the Asus G35 Board I used worked flawlessly. I have heard horror stories with Asus but I have not experienced them myself ever.

With that said, Gigabyte is on my radar these days for quality as well, something I thought id never see. I remember when having someone call me and first thing i ask them is are they runing a gigabyte board and they would say yes a lot of the time or if they didnt know I would find out later it is a gigabyte board. But those days are over and all of their boards i have experienced so far are phenomenal.

(sorry kinda got off topic a bit there)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 3:46 PM

FlyinBrian:

That's unfortunate, I just built a SFF PC for a friend and used the G35 chipset and this would of been much better. But on a Side note the Asus G35 Board I used worked flawlessly. I have heard horror stories with Asus but I have not experienced them myself ever.

Do you mean you wished that you used the Asus Maximus II Formula instead of the Asus G35 board in the SFF pc? Did you mod it to fit regular ATX boards?

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 4:08 PM

RyuGTX:

FlyinBrian:

Do you mean you wished that you used the Asus Maximus II Formula instead of the Asus G35 board in the SFF pc? Did you mod it to fit regular ATX boards?

Yeh, I just built it like 3 weeks ago. I wish this would of been vailable in Micro-atx version. No I didnt have to mod anything except cut some of the metal out of the drive cage so that that freaking long 9800GTX would fit.  It was this board here http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007299

And this case

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005328

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS