Gateway P-6831FX Gaming Notebook

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,085
Points 1,183,160
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jul 2 2008 10:16 AM

While there are quite a few manufacturers building GeForce 8800M equipped notebooks, almost all of them are high-end products that demand top dollar for the pleasure. Gateway's "P-Series FX" line-up of 17" gaming notebooks seems no different at first glance.  However, careful inspection of their product specifications reveals that the most junior P-Series FX model weighs in at just $1,349.99, a decidedly mid-range price point for this type of machine. Yet it's still powered by a GeForce 8800M, just like the rest of the otherwise high-end FX notebook line-up. This GPU choice alone potentially makes the junior P-Series FX model one of the best gaming and multimedia machines in the entire mid-range notebook price segment, so we couldn't resist taking a closer look.  Click the link below and check it out...

Gateway P-6831FX Gaming Notebook

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Wed, Jul 2 2008 11:01 AM

I am a bit confused why the author referrs to this notebook as a mid-range notebook? On a consumer-level I would definately consider it high-end -- the only way that it may be mid-range is if you start to toss workstation NBs in the picture.

Anyway, with the exception of the CPU and (I believe it was a 6-cell) battery I would definitely like this NB for myself. Its a bit costly however, but the look of it is great and I like the semi-upgradability as well.

Toss it down to like $1,100 and I would probably jump on it -- either that or throw in current-gen CPU and a 12-cell battery and I will gladly pay the $1,300

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
MikeL_HH replied on Wed, Jul 2 2008 11:14 AM
Hey Ice, i'd say $1,350 is pretty mid-range for a notebook. Upper mid-range if you want to divide it further. Low-end would be sub-$800 and high-end would start in the $1,800 range and just keep going.

You're not going to find a notebook less than $1,500 with gaming performance close to the P-6831FX. Although the processor could definitely use an upgrade, but that would ruin the excellent price. All other 8800M equipped notebooks I can think of start in the $2,000 range.

It is a 9-cell, no typo.

"My computer isn't slow, it's just being careful."

Join the Official HotHardware Folding Team!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
MikeL_HH replied on Wed, Jul 2 2008 12:09 PM
It's your lucky day. The P-6860FX is on sale right now for $1,100. The exact price you asked for.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8780198&type=product&id=1204332501169

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625

LovelyCrap:
Hey Ice, i'd say $1,350 is pretty mid-range for a notebook. Upper mid-range if you want to divide it further. Low-end would be sub-$800 and high-end would start in the $1,800 range and just keep going.

Let me ask you this (not trying to argue, just questioning is all): How could one improve the performance of the notebook further (while keeping this at a 32-bit OS) ... The only possible performance upgrade I would be able to think of is the CPU. The T5550 is definitely no slacker -- I guess if anything I may consider this CPU to be mid-range. 4GB of RAM, 8800M based video card, 17" screen, wireless N card is all pretty top-notch. Now maybe I have misunderstood but when you describe it as mid-range are you referring to the price or the performace?

I guess bottom line, again, what would you throw into the laptop to make it high-end?

LovelyCrap:
It's your lucky day. The P-6860FX is on sale right now for $1,100 [at Best Buy]. The exact price you asked for.

Yeah I noticed that too and cursed that I had mentioned it -- haha the sale had to come at the worst possible time for me. Alas, I've not enough dinero for the guy right now....I am sure the sale will be over next Friday when I would be able to pick it up Murphy's Law I suppose...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,034
Points 45,870
ForumsAdministrator
I see what you're saying Ice, but the ranges are determined by what the market provides at certain price points. Frankly, look at the $800-$1800 range in general. I don't mean only focus on great products and good deals. I mean look at everything available. That range is middle of the road in terms of the hardware you get. For over $1800 you start to get crazy stuff like 8800M, SLI, Core 2 Extremes, and even quad-core. For under $800 you start to get integrated graphics and low-end processors.

To make it high-end, I'd throw in at least a T9300. Then it would be high-end, no arguement, in my books. T5550 is not a high-end chip, at all. CPU and vid card are two of the biggest deciding factors and although you get a high-end 8800M, the CPU is pretty stale. Consider that you can grab a Dell for $499 and get a T5450 or a T5550 on a good day.

As for the sale. I'd wait for the next one. Being BestBuy, it'll happen again within 3 months.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sun, Jul 6 2008 10:52 PM

LovelyCrap:
s for the sale. I'd wait for the next one. Being BestBuy, it'll happen again within 3 months.

Being a worker @ Best Buy, I can tell you that the item is on sale due to the fact we will not be selling it anymore -- that is it'll be deleted from our systems.......

I couldn't agree with ya more in terms of deciding factors on performance for notebooks. I guess when I look at a notebook that is a Core 2 Extreme or quad core I would not consider that even a true notebook just due to the fact that the mobility factor is shot unless you drop another $200 on a 12 or 15 celll battery.

Basically performance to this guy means good hardware (8800M, T7xx or T8xx series CPU, and 3-4GB of RAM) and is what I'd expect. It just gets to that point that you might as well buy a desktop if you wanted straight performance.....but that is the fine line that these manufactors dance I guess when they engineer such specs

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
emgoodman replied on Sun, Jul 13 2008 10:46 PM

Ice,

Just stumbled accross this post.  I purchased a 6860 this past week right before the sale price went back up.  Do you know if GW is replacing it with an upgraded version?

Thanks.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Jul 14 2008 1:33 PM

Sortof....it will still be of the "FX" series but essentially all new guts; don't quote me but i have heard the likes of 6GB of RAM and a T8xxx series CPU (obviously these are just rumors however).

Basically until we get them off our truck though I don't have any idea the exact specs............

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 455
Leafer replied on Tue, Jul 15 2008 7:38 PM

Anyway 6GB of RAM and a T8xxx series CPU sounds very attractive.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS