Shortcuts

XP recognizes only 2 gb

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
BudJ Posted: Sun, Jun 8 2008 4:27 AM

I'm new here so please bear with me. I've just built a new SLI computer. I put in 2 OCZ 2 gb sticks. The bios registers 4 gb but windows only see 2. I knew it wouldn't see all four but two seems pretty low. I have two 512 mb graphics cards so that accounts for 1 gb of memory not being accessible, but what would cause the other gb to be lost? Is there anything I can do to recover some of that last one?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140

I'm pretty sure XP's limits are 2 GB letme check. You better off upgrade to 32 bit vista if you that extra ram.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

BudJ:

I'm new here so please bear with me. I've just built a new SLI computer. I put in 2 OCZ 2 gb sticks. The bios registers 4 gb but windows only see 2. I knew it wouldn't see all four but two seems pretty low. I have two 512 mb graphics cards so that accounts for 1 gb of memory not being accessible, but what would cause the other gb to be lost? Is there anything I can do to recover some of that last one?

OK this is limited info becuase I,ve only seen this paticular setting once. I was working on a friends computer where he added a 1gb stick  to an existing 512.So he had 2 slots one with 512 and one with 1 g! When booting to windows he only showed the 512 but the bios showed both!I dont remember the setting in the bios but it did having a setting for the bios and the OP system to reconize the ram! Changed the setting rebooted and it reconized both ! Now this was a Dell PC but the setting was there and it did work. Its just an idea you might want to go through the settings and see if you get lucky!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290

64 bit XP will see more, but other than that i wont see it. the only thing you can do is get a new OS that is 64bit

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS