rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,817
Points 1,166,180
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jun 4 2008 9:25 PM

A study detailed in Nature
exposes the local nature of humans: we like to hang around our homes.
But that's not what caught our interest. It's the way the study was conducted.

Researchers used cell phone towers to track individuals' locations whenever they made or received phone calls and text messages over six months. In a second set of records, researchers took another 206 cell phones that had tracking devices in them and got records for their locations every two hours over a week's time period.

The study was based on cell phone records from a private company, whose name also was not disclosed.

Study co-author Cesar Hidalgo, a physics researcher at Northeastern, said he and his colleagues didn't know the individual phone numbers because they were disguised into "ugly" 26-digit-and-letter codes.

That type of nonconsensual tracking would be illegal in the United States, according to Rob Kenny, a spokesman for the Federal Communications Commission. Consensual tracking, however, is legal and even marketed as a special feature by some U.S. cell phone providers.

The study showed that 75% of people stay within a 20 mile circle around their home during the six months.  But data withstanding: readers, despite the fact that researchers say they went to extremes to ensure privacy, how would you like to be one of the "participants" in the study?

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005
I wouldn't mind. If anyone wanted to track me down there's far easier ways than tracking my cell phone usage. You'd just walk into my room, heh. But I guess paranoid, 1984-fearing people might be fearful.

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435
Were are being watched!!!! Bot their wasting their time watching me matter of fact they would probably get bored doing it real quick and give up!LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,818
Points 45,670
rapid1 replied on Thu, Jun 5 2008 6:24 AM
LOL I agree they can watch me all they want.
MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
That's cool. Why would anyone mind this? It's completely private. I think this is an interesting study that produced nothing surprising to me.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Thu, Jun 5 2008 10:16 AM
Saw this on the news this morning. I hope they do tell those who were "spied" on. This technology scares me because of online predators and such.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Thu, Jun 5 2008 11:35 AM
Online predators don't and never will have access to this sort of thing. It would take some serious hacking to get anything useful out of it.

Honestly, I think most people who were 'spied on' would be happier not knowing.

><((((">Lev Astov

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS