New Exoskeleton Makes Super Soldiers?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,116
Points 1,184,350
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, May 19 2008 9:11 AM

The fashionable soldier of tomorrow will rip off the flak jacket and store the camo for a trip to the mall. If the military magnates at Raytheon have their way, soldiers will be donning futuristic exoskeletons before heading into combat. Sweet!

Described as a "wearable robot" on the
Raytheon site, the exoskeleton looks extremely clunky...yet strangely super cool. After watching a video of an engineer ripping through a solid set of pull downs of a 200 lbs, we were wondering where we could score a pair of robotic arms for our next workout.

Raytheon tied the release of their super suit to the big-screen release of blockbuster flick "Iron Man," but we're not sure of the bigger surprise -- a sober Robert Downey Jr. becoming bankable at the box-office or this titanic triumph of engineering wizardry.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Yup, Iron Man was the first thing I thought of.  Are these things really a peak into the future of soldiers?

Hello

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Mon, May 19 2008 3:33 PM

I thought this was also talked about after halo 3's release. Maybe its an update, or before it was in a beta stage.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 357
Points 5,500

I don't know if it is the same suit or not, but I saw a discovery channel special that had a "robotic" exoskeleton suit about 3 or 4 months ago. This thing was clunky but incredible; the soldier that was wearing it was able to lift box after box each one weighing around 200 pounds. He did this for hours, and never used a muscle of his own. It had some really incredible real world applications. 

This is my Sig. There are many like it but this one is mine.

OIIIIIIIIO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 464
Points 7,030
AjayD replied on Mon, May 19 2008 10:52 PM
I can see a multitude of uses for this when it comes to heavy lifting, moving and construction, but it seems way too cumbersome for actual combat.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Tue, May 20 2008 12:07 AM

=O would cool to see hand to hand combat with that lol 

Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 220
Volatile replied on Tue, May 20 2008 12:12 AM
I agree with AjayD here, this could have plenty of uses, but none of them involve combat. It doesn't assist aiming or stop bullets. Frankly, it doesn't matter how much it can lift, if the person wearing it gets shot, it's just a metal hunk on the ground, and an expensive piece of technology our soldiers would either have to risk their life to retrieve or allow to fall into enemy hands (wouldn't want them getting the edge in warehouse loading, would we?).
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Tue, May 20 2008 8:01 AM
Yeah! I saw a video of this on CNN about 4 months ago. This thing is awesome! Now they just need to figure out how to pack a power supply into it.

><((((">Lev Astov

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS