Diagnose Wireless issues

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 280
mkenyon2 Posted: Thu, May 15 2008 3:57 PM

Lately my wireless connection has dropped and begun to go to 1Mbs speeds. I have a couple devices that use the wireless connection so this is a big deal to me.

I have a media extender device running off a wireless bridge (ZyXel wireless router running as a bridge) which was working fine. But now with the low connection speeds, I can't do anything.  I also have a PC running off a wireless card, and browsing has slowed to dial-up speeds.

I originally had my network on Channel 6, but as locals started getting wireless and leaving it at channel 6 I changed my wireless channel. (That seemed to help previously.) I don't see anybody else running on 10, but I'm getting this slow down.

What can I do to figure out why my wireless sucks lately? I did just plug in an air conditioner, but haven't been running it. However, since it's one of these new ones with the timers and everything, could it be causing some interference?

P4 3.0GHz HT, 1Gb OCZ DDR2 667, 120Gb Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 150
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Thu, May 15 2008 10:42 PM
Wireless B/G operates on the 2.4GHz band and receives an incredible amount of interference from the likes of cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, etc. Now add to that other local wireless networks and it is no wonder you have such low connection speeds. The newest wireless N standard, which is still in the draft stages, has a lot to offer to someone in your position. You might want to cruise-over to your local magazine stand and pick-up the June 2008 issue of PC World magazine, mkenyon2. In that issue they do a comparison test of draft 2.0 802.11N routers, and the article is a must-read for anyone considering a new router purchase. 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 3,025
FSeven replied on Wed, Jun 4 2008 9:17 AM

Just curious if your wired connections have also suffered.

The reason I ask this is because recently I had some issues with low wireless speeds. When I tested wired connections, I had the same result. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why the sudden drop in speed. 

Turned out, the person who lives above me in the duplex had spliced onto our cable. Once I disconnected her everything jumped back up. 

So, if your wired speeds are suffering as well, trace your lines throughout your apartment/house. What you find might surprise you. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

FSeven:
Turned out, the person who lives above me in the duplex had spliced onto our cable.

What a wonderful neighbor you have! 

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 280
mkenyon2 replied on Wed, Jun 4 2008 10:06 AM

Definitely not a neighbor splicing in. Wired connections work fine, and between computers in the house, wireless is lousy, wired is fine. (Wi-Fi signal fluctuates greatly.) 

I found I could run wire to the 2nd floor next to the air vents, so I'm going to do that. I did one system, and it works great now. Will probably go to Gigabit 10-base. 

P4 3.0GHz HT, 1Gb OCZ DDR2 667, 120Gb Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 150
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,486
Points 47,175
ForumsAdministrator

FSeven:
Turned out, the person who lives above me in the duplex had spliced onto our cable. Once I disconnected her everything jumped back up. 

You know, I was thinking about your situation, FSeven. Maybe that poor lady is just a victim of this terrible economy and can't afford to pay for internet access. Heck, she probably even has trouble paying her light bill. Why not help her out a little by giving her some FREE ELECTRICITY! Take that pirate cable line of hers you disconnected, plug it into your nearest electrical outlet, and give her some juice! Then, next time you see her, ask her (with a big smile on your face) how her computer is working!Big Smile

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 3,025
FSeven replied on Thu, Jun 5 2008 6:33 AM

aaahahaha that's awesome SD. Not a bad idea. Wink Would serve her right!

She's one of those cat ladies. Living in a 2 bedroom apartment with her 28 year old daughter and 6 cats. She actually had the nerve to ask me if I would mind if she kept 2 cats she recently adopted in the basement in cages. The basement is shared space where our washers and dryers are and where my wife and I have our workout equipment. 

I told her if she's running out of room to keep her cats, the solution is not to get more cats. 

Absolute insanity. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS