HotHardware Memorial Day Sweepstakes!

This post has 252 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,782
Points 1,162,545
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, May 12 2008 9:24 AM

Just a reminder here folks -- Our contest ends MONDAY, 6/2 and we will announce the winner on Tuesday 6/3!  Good luck! 

In conjunction with our good friends at Diamond Multimedia and Smooth Creations, we’ve got one patriotic rig to give away this month!  This time around, you could win a full AMD Phenom X4 9750-based system, complete with dual Diamond Multimedia Radeon HD 3850 512MB graphics cards running in a CrossFire configuration, and an awesome, custom painted Smooth Creations case emblazoned with the good ol' Stars and Bars!  And two runners up will also win AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ processors.

As you can see, this machine is definitely a head turner, and it could be all yours!  As we've done with previous sweepstakes, we’ll be giving away this rig away to a randomly selected contributor to our on-line forum and discussion systems, but this time there's a twist (see below). The complete break-down of components in the system includes:

Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9750

Graphics: Diamond Radeon HD 3850 512MB (2)

Case: Smooth Creations CM Cosmos 100

PSU: Silverstone 850 Watt

Memory: 4GB G-Skill DDR2 Memory

Motherboard: Abit AX-78

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 500GB

Optical Drive: Lite-On DVD-R / RW

Miscellaneous: Zalman Cooling, Windows XP

To be entered into the sweepstakes, you’ve got to be a registered, active member of our forum and a resident of the United States. If you’re not already a member, you can sign up quickly and easily (and for free), right here.

From this point forward, we’ll be monitoring discussions on the site and will be randomly selecting a winner based on community involvement and contribution. You can also increase your chances of winning by signing up for our HotHardware RSS News Alerts.  Finally, to coincide with the upcoming Memorial Day holiday, we're going to give extra credit to anyone who makes a charitable contribution to the Disabled American Veterans Fund.  Make a donation - of any size - and forward a copy of your receipt to this e-mail address for another chance to win.  Donations are NOT a requirement to win, but with Memorial Day coming up we thought this was a good opportunity to give something back to the military.  We here at HotHardware will be making a contribution to the DAV fund as well.  The winner of the rig and runners up will be announced Monday, June 2.

This is a great chance for to you to win a custom, powerful new system and to help out the many men and women who have selflessly served in the U.S. military. Now go make some new friends in the forum and get in the running!  Good Luck!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, May 12 2008 12:50 PM

another great give away. very patriotic!  also nice to see an added bonus for donations. my friend got sent off to boot camp (marines) just last month. this is a great computer, but then again what else do you expect from hh and smooth creations :-). this reminds me alot of this laptop http://www.smoothcreations.com/gallery.asp?specific=17 :-) this definantly is another show stoper.

good luck every one.

also, i think this is the shortest contest so far (under a month)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,232
Points 70,330
That rig makes me proud to be an American! It is so damn beautiful
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+| Asus M2N-E | XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB | 4 GB Crucial Ballisticx DDR2 800 | Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit | Hard Drives: 160GB (System) 250GB 320GB 750GB 120GB (external)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

This is just one more reminder of why I love this place.  And kudos to the kind folks at Diamond and Smooth Creations for once again giving away a high performance system.  I'm such a fanboy of all AMD system too, so I'm glad to see that.Smile

The American flag case is a really nice idea.  It's actually rather touching.  That's a case no one in our country cannot be impressed by it.  I've gone ahead and made a small donation.  Really good idea there guys.  I usually don't think of Disabled Veterans, but it's a good wake up call to look above yourself and do something good for people who truly deserve it.Yes

Good luck all!

Hello

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555

As usual... nice system! Great paintjob.

Good luck guys.

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Mon, May 12 2008 2:30 PM
Nice! I am so tempted to buy a system from them right now.

><((((">Lev Astov

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, May 12 2008 2:32 PM
you should buy one if you can afford it :-)you get the option to have them paint the ipod, keyboard, monitor, everything! how sweet is that!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,372
Points 80,290
Wow Nice deal!

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."

Z77 GIGABYTE G1.SNIPER

GIGABYTE GTX670

G.Skill Ripjaws X 16gb PC2133

Antec P280

Corsair H100

Asus Blu-ray burner

Seasonic X650 PSU

Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 270
vhall replied on Mon, May 12 2008 3:16 PM

Wow another giveaway already! Way to go HH.Great looking rig.

AMD 5000+Black Ed @3.0ghz  2gigs gskill  MSI MB  EVGA 8800GT Thermaltake 430w

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

I must say you guys again impressed me. As a veteran myself, i really get excited to see those who remember our military men and women. I am not a disabled veteran but I am still gratefull for HH push for the disbaled veterans and their contribution as well. This was not something I was expecting and it only furthers my deep respect that I have for the guys running the show here. I really can't put into words how awesome this is.

Oh and the giveaway of course is top notch yet again. Thanks HH and smooth creations.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 9,140
SqUiD267 replied on Mon, May 12 2008 4:40 PM
Looks great. Whoever wins this should be proud!

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ (Thanks to HH)

DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX

EVGA 8800 GT 512 mb

2 GB of G.Skill RAM

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 140
Good going HH!! I too appreciate what you're doing with supporting those in uniform.

I have no idea what you're going to do now for Independence Day but I can't wait! Good luck topping this baby!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 91
Points 1,395
Wow, that's one cool looking machine...

ASUS Rampage Formula; Core 2 Quad Extreme QX9650 @5.13GHz; 4GB Buffalo Firestix PC2-9600 DDR2; Thermaltake Armor w/ Bigwater SE; XFX Geforce 9800 GTX 'Black Edition'; Corsair HX620 Power Supply 620W

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Mon, May 12 2008 6:05 PM

Another Amazing contest. I'll try to come an join some conversations as much as I can over this month, because things are getting a bit calmer now. Good luck everybody! :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 235
Points 3,045
higgamo replied on Mon, May 12 2008 6:23 PM

nice rig =O love the american theme

Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 465
The Independence Day machine will have a fireworks device built in (:-p) But yes, this time's machine is nice though

And I notice AMD again, and no Vista (not that I mind XP)...any reason why?
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 508
Points 7,860
peti1212 replied on Mon, May 12 2008 6:28 PM

XP is good, although I got used to Vista Ultimate now. lol. Probably because everything runs better on XP, that's why they include it with this system. Also the majority of the people use XP still. That's my guess.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, May 12 2008 8:47 PM

hopefully no gaming comas for the winner.

xp is best for dx9 gaming (most titles) but vista is the future (unfortunatly).  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I prefer XP right now.  DX10 doesn't seem that great right now anyway, especially considering the performance hit. 

Hello

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,614
Points 67,270
^Bad_Boy^ replied on Tue, May 13 2008 7:39 AM
WahWahWeehWah!!!

Thumbs Up HH Crew :D

Dammit! What's My Age Again???

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 3,025
FSeven replied on Tue, May 13 2008 8:50 AM

Hoping to win this one. I'm in BAD need of a PC. Still running AGP X800XT on a non-PCI-E board. :( Not to mention what an awesome case that is. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,851
Points 40,550

That's actually pretty cool.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 220
Most of us have become dedicated & avid gamers with some of the popular titles out on the market, and have been members of small gaming clans on the LAN gaming circuit. Today, Diamond & SmoothCreations wants to give full credit to our US Soldiers whom compose the real, “Company of Heroes” of the military.
This American flag resembles a strong set of cores values that make our country the best place in the world. If you guys know of a US Military personnel that is in need of help assembling components for a new rig. I am here to help. As far as I am concerned, This is US Soldiers Month, and Diamond and I, along with our partners will do our best to support our US Troops.

So remember, Memorial day is not about backyard bar-b-q’s. It is about brave woman and men whom died serving in the US Armed forces. Nothing resonates so loud and clear as those soldiers whom showed up on the LA times obituaries this weekend on Mother’s day. As a parent, I could NOT imagine how painful it is to lose a son or daughter in the US Military. As Dave & Marco, I humbly ask to pay homage to those US Soldiers by supporting the Disabled Veterans Fund. I welcome every member of this forum to a call to action and invite members to register to participate on HotHardware.

And is my final shout out. The first US Soldiers serving in Iraq that decide to order one of these bad boy gaming pc's, I will personally fly into Iraq and hand deliver this American Flag PC to you.

Love you guys. Mario Gastelum
Mario@Diamondmm.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, May 13 2008 11:10 AM

Mario Gastelum:
Most of us have become dedicated & avid gamers with some of the popular titles out on the market, and have been members of small gaming clans on the LAN gaming circuit. Today, Diamond & SmoothCreations wants to give full credit to our US Soldiers whom compose the real, “Company of Heroes” of the military.
This American flag resembles a strong set of cores values that make our country the best place in the world. If you guys know of a US Military personnel that is in need of help assembling components for a new rig. I am here to help. As far as I am concerned, This is US Soldiers Month, and Diamond and I, along with our partners will do our best to support our US Troops.

So remember, Memorial day is not about backyard bar-b-q’s. It is about brave woman and men whom died serving in the US Armed forces. Nothing resonates so loud and clear as those soldiers whom showed up on the LA times obituaries this weekend on Mother’s day. As a parent, I could NOT imagine how painful it is to lose a son or daughter in the US Military. As Dave & Marco, I humbly ask to pay homage to those US Soldiers by supporting the Disabled Veterans Fund. I welcome every member of this forum to a call to action and invite members to register to participate on HotHardware.

And is my final shout out. The first US Soldiers serving in Iraq that decide to order one of these bad boy gaming pc's, I will personally fly into Iraq and hand deliver this American Flag PC to you.

Mario@Diamondmm.com

Its great the type of support you are giving to the U.S. armed forces. My family originates from Russia and all my family in that time period served in the war effort. my home town was occupied by the Nazi’s and my great grandmother (while pregnant) was digging trenches to help the soldiers retreat, eventually two Nazi’s actually came to lodge in our apartment because of the occupation and they nearly killed my great grandmother because of the way she put away the broom (the Germans put it upside down) and one of the was taking out his machine gun but the other stopped him and said to not kill her because she is pregnant. The military is an important aspect in every country. They are the people that put their lives on the line to protect all of us from dangers.

Thank you HotHardware for remembering the military may 9th is victory day in Russia over 20 million people died in Russia because of the war (about 15% of the entire population) and it is a sad but joyous holiday in Russia. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

Mario Gastelum:

Mario@Diamondmm.com

Mario, my hats off to you and your partners and of course HH. I actually have a very close freind of mine who just got back from Iraq. He joined the marines following in my footsteps. My tour was up just before the war hit so I never went over but he did and if your serious about helping out the troops he would be an ideal canidate if your willing. Last time I talked to him he was looking to get a new pc when he got back to the states. So if he hasn't gotten 1 yet and your willing I would love for him to get it. It still bothers me to this day that others went but I didn't. I even tried to do volutntary activation but never heard back from them and there are soldiers doing 3,4 or even more tours over there. It's just not fair that I am home while someone else is over there fighting especially a good friend of mine. I know there are thousands who desrve it and it would be nice to give all of them 1 but it's not possible. So if you are really looking for an active member to hook up this month I know of 1 who def deserves something. Matter of fact he just reuped in order to go on embassy duty which he didn't get. Instead they sent him to Iraq which crushed him cause that was the most important thing to him was getting embassy duty.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, May 13 2008 2:11 PM

nelsoncp21:

Mario Gastelum:

Mario@Diamondmm.com

Mario, my hats off to you and your partners and of course HH. I actually have a very close freind of mine who just got back from Iraq. He joined the marines following in my footsteps. My tour was up just before the war hit so I never went over but he did and if your serious about helping out the troops he would be an ideal canidate if your willing. Last time I talked to him he was looking to get a new pc when he got back to the states. So if he hasn't gotten 1 yet and your willing I would love for him to get it. It still bothers me to this day that others went but I didn't. I even tried to do volutntary activation but never heard back from them and there are soldiers doing 3,4 or even more tours over there. It's just not fair that I am home while someone else is over there fighting especially a good friend of mine. I know there are thousands who desrve it and it would be nice to give all of them 1 but it's not possible. So if you are really looking for an active member to hook up this month I know of 1 who def deserves something. Matter of fact he just reuped in order to go on embassy duty which he didn't get. Instead they sent him to Iraq which crushed him cause that was the most important thing to him was getting embassy duty.

2 of my friends are currently in the rotc, and one of them just went to boot camp and will be serving a tour of duty (all of them went into the marines) :-)

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 220
hey Guys,

Yes. I am very serious about supporting our US Troops. have your buddies shoot me an email with all their contact information. I will try my best to pull out some gifts from my coomponents stash jar. I will make sure, i support as many as could.Here is my contact info. Mario@Diamondmm.com
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210

So does that mean your going to follow suite Ice? Going into the marines was the best decision I made in my life. I am 1 of the few from my high school crowd that actually did something with my life. Most of my old friends ended up in jail, rehab or dead. I can honestly say the marines changed my life for the better. I would recomend it to anyone. Well except someone just doing it for the college money, that is the worst reason to join.

On a side note, if anyone feels a patriotic rush this month and want to give even more there are plenty of programs out there. The disabled veterans is a great organization and everyone should def donate if they can but if you also feel compelled to go further than another great organization is the Navy and Marine corps relief society. They help service members in times of hardship. Just if you want to go the extra step I figured i would throw that out there.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Tue, May 13 2008 8:59 PM
Wow That is Beautiful Awesome cause to :)
MB:ASUS Z87C
CPU:Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 4770 ***
GPU:Geforce GTX 770 4GB
Mem:***ingston 16384MB RAM
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 85

nelsoncp21:

So does that mean your going to follow suite Ice? Going into the marines was the best decision I made in my life. I am 1 of the few from my high school crowd that actually did something with my life. Most of my old friends ended up in jail, rehab or dead. I can honestly say the marines changed my life for the better. I would recomend it to anyone. Well except someone just doing it for the college money, that is the worst reason to join.

On a side note, if anyone feels a patriotic rush this month and want to give even more there are plenty of programs out there. The disabled veterans is a great organization and everyone should def donate if they can but if you also feel compelled to go further than another great organization is the Navy and Marine corps relief society. They help service members in times of hardship. Just if you want to go the extra step I figured i would through that out there.

Awesome contest guys, glad to see some folks that are proud of and support us vets/disabled vets and VFW..............:)

Another great organization to give to is the Army's AER, basicly the same as the Navy/Marine version
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Tue, May 13 2008 9:44 PM

nelsoncp21:

On a side note, if anyone feels a patriotic rush this month and want to give even more there are plenty of programs out there. The disabled veterans is a great organization and everyone should def donate if they can but if you also feel compelled to go further than another great organization is the Navy and Marine corps relief society. They help service members in times of hardship. Just if you want to go the extra step I figured i would throw that out there.

im thinking of doing that once i get my degree. i came from stuyvesant highschool, the top highschool in new york city and we were literally right at ground zero on 9/11 this of course influenced alot of us. which is why so many people joined the marines/airforce. i went to a few poolie meetings and was seriously considering going in full time but then i got a scholarship to college and.... well i choose college. however once im out i might sign up to do a tour or 2 or at the very least the reserves. marines are the only ones trusted to gaurd an embassy! and the marines are the only branch of the military over quota!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,017
Points 43,210
they are also the only branch to guard nuclear weapons and also the president.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 176
Points 3,025
FSeven replied on Wed, May 14 2008 6:36 AM
I wanted to post some information and stress just how much donations are needed and would help for folks who are on the fence about donating perhaps due to financial situations or other matters.

Just for comparison, the Barack Obama campaign prides itself that over 1.5 million people have contributed to the Obama campaign and to date, have raised over $235 million dollars.

Now I'm as much an Obama supporter as the next guy but I'm using that statistic to show the power behind small donations. I personally gave a small donation to the Obama campaign and the statistics show the average donation is $25.00. The power of small donations by large numbers of people adds up. If more people would donate to the DAV, the concern over Veterans receiving appropriate healthcare, employment, housing, and benefits would not be an issue.

Some facts:

1 in 4 homeless people in the U.S. are Veterans, despite Veterans only making up 11% of the U.S. population.

25% of Iraq war veterans suffer from Post Traumatic Stress syndrome. This manifests itself in a high divorce rate among veterans and the disturbing fact that an average of 18 veterans per day commit suicide.

The unemployment rate among Veterans returning from Afghanistan and Iraq in 2005 was 25%. That is more than TRIPLE the national unemployment rate. 25% of those who DO have jobs are earning less than $21,000 a year. That means that the average veteran who DOES find work, is making LESS than the national average. Surely our soldiers deserve better than this.

There is currently a backlog of 600,000 veterans' claims in the House of Representatives Subcommittee on Disability Assistance and Memorial Affairs which means while the bureaucrats squabble amongst themselves, there are veterans out there in need of monetary assistance who aren't getting it.

In short, our veterans need much more help than they are getting and that is where organizations such as the DAV come in. But they can't do it all themselves. They need the support and help of those of us who are living our lives while our soldiers are fighting.

Give them your help. Cut out coffee or soda for a week and take that $20.00 and donate. Just give what you can.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Wed, May 14 2008 9:42 AM

And another sweet give away and that is definitely one of the sweetest looking rigs I've ever seen sorry I love this paint job beautiful hell maybe I'll win it that would be awesome.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Wed, May 14 2008 9:51 AM

This seems to be indicative of American society today. Don't get me wrong I love America I love our soldiers and our people from every color nationality and calling thats what makes our country truly great. But we treat the men and women who defend our country like second hand goods when there not on the battle fields for us, We pay the people who educate and train our children to be thinking adults less than almost any professional field in existance. We downgrade our collective morality on a daily basis to meet the status quo. I should have the right to make the decisions in my houshold as to what is what etc. But Why should somebody anybody else be able to do it to be politically correct. Sorry enough of my rant. I'm sure you get my point......... 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Wed, May 14 2008 10:01 AM

Thanks HH for supporting our troops my dad was career army. My Brother inlaw is being redeployed this time in Baghdad in a couple months and has already served two tours in this war. Hopefully some of you hardware geeks will appreciatte this he is a ranking officer in the communications core. So computer repair building as well as mission critical com routing etc is what he does for our country every day. Whether in Hawai africa or this time downtown Baghdad we could'nt shoot the first round without our army geeks. There'd be no bullets there and thered be no co-ordinates to begin with if we did'nt have them. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,792
Points 28,435

Wow thats the best looking Rig yet and also get a oppurtunity to give to a just cause.Count me in for both!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Thu, May 15 2008 2:48 PM
To tell ya the Truth I'd Love to win this just to display it on my desktop. Then I could convert my current rig to a media server for the house. Plus The Soldiers will benefit from the sweepstakes to way to go HH :)
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 4,816
Points 45,645
rapid1 replied on Thu, May 15 2008 2:49 PM
Did.... I say that case is Beautiful :)
replied on Thu, May 15 2008 8:05 PM
il cut off my own balls before supporting barack obama bin laden. Hes a good speaker and people eat him up.. ask him some serious questions and watching him dodge them like a a cat runing from the water hose. Sorry for getting political but from the military perspective, hes the last guy on earth any one in uniform should be supporting. Unless of course you want smaller military, treaties with Iran.. and who knows what else.. you know it's strange fact that terrorist want him to win the election. Why ? because hes a pansy he wants to make deals and negotiate with terrorist and regimes in the world in the name of false peace that will do nothing but destroy us. Wouldnt suprise me if iran attacked israel and he was president he wouldnt do a darn thing about it.. my guess anyway. A lot of you may discredit bush but he made a decision based on what intel he had. And I may not agree on every issue at least the man stands up and fights and has enough resolve to do what is right instead of what is popular, aka lets hold hands, rainbows and butterflies, coming from the democratic party. People need to really get informed on the real issues and the real world instead of listening to the news and the media with their own agendas.
Page 1 of 7 (253 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS