Criminals Try to Copyright "Malware"

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,455
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Apr 30 2008 10:18 PM

Heck, if you're going to write malware, you might as well protect yourself against piracy, and copyright it, right?

Professional virus writers are now selling a suite of software on the Internet with an unusual attachment: a detailed licensing agreement that promises penalties for redistributing the malicious code without permission.

"I just kind of chuckled — it's kind of humorous," said Zulfikar Ramzan, senior principal security researcher with Symantec Corp.

As with any other software, if you're going to install this stuff, read the EULA!  According to the article, however, the malware in question is being freely distributed online.  Looks like the authors need to call a good lawyer.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Now that's funny. It would have made more sense if they had started distributing this on April 1st rather than May 1st, though.

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555

I don't understand how the author of a virus or malware program would seriously try to sue someone that "takes" it... lets say they went to court.. shouldn't both of the guys be penalized for creating/distributing the malware in the first place!?!

silly hackers! ;)

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,200

News:
redistributing the malicious code without permission.

Isn't this the point of malicious code?  Nobody buys viruses at Best Buy with the intent of screwing up their computer.  This is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT 512Mb, Ultra X3 1000W PSU
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS