Psystar Says First Mac Clones are Shipping

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,340
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Apr 21 2008 9:52 AM

While the rest of the world tries to figure out if this company is legit or not, Psystar keeps chugging along.  And now, they say their first PCs are shipping!

So, is it a hoax or not? Mac clone builder Psystar has experienced in just one week all the good and bad today’s Internet has to offer: The possible availability of a cheap Mac clone spread like wildfire through the Internet last week, confusion about its address and payment processor attracted the wrath of the Internet and most of us concluded that, yes, some things are too good to be true and Psystar may have been just a hoax. But, as of today, we know that the company is back online and may have sorted things out: It even claims that orders are being shipped.

After all the criticism and speculation that hit the company last week, it appears that Psystar is back on track and in fact shipping its first Mac clones.

Sure, sure that's all wonderful.  The site say they're shipping.  But a) has anyone taken the chance on these guys (not too bad a gamble if you use a credit card, after all), and b) has anyone gotten any tracking info yet?  Readers?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

No way in hell I'd order one.  Even if I had the cash and will to do so, I would not trust that the product would ever arrive.  Though I am curious to see if any one has ordered one and if so when it arrives. 

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,200
vicaphit replied on Mon, Apr 21 2008 1:09 PM

I can't say I would buy one even if they were the most reliable machines on the planet.  I can't stand macs and their users.

AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT 512Mb, Ultra X3 1000W PSU
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,370
Points 20,925
ice_73 replied on Mon, Apr 21 2008 7:52 PM

haha this is like a oem mac, i guess since macs moved to intel this would of eventually happened. before on powerpc it was impossible since there was no way to buy any parts at all apart from the apple store....  

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Apparently a lot of people are ordering, which surprises me.  See here:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/mac/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207401308 

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,929
Points 24,760
digitaldd replied on Thu, Apr 24 2008 6:35 AM

I have an amex gift card for $500 where if i didn't need the money for my upcoming vacation I might have been inclined to use it for one of these. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS