Salvage an older ati card

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Airin Posted: Thu, Apr 17 2008 4:00 PM

Hello,

We have two ATI AIW 9600 XT with defective fans (PN7120010200, 416BF) on the heatsinks.  Can you recommend a product I can replace this videocard's cooling solution with?

If not can you recommend a partial solution or an online supplier?

Thank you.

-- 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,490
Points 47,190
ForumsAdministrator
Hello Airin, and welcome to the HotHardware forum! I like to go HERE and HERE when I purchase parts for my PC. Hope this helps you.

SPAM-posters beware! ®

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Thu, Apr 17 2008 6:11 PM

This is what FiringSquad says:

"Other than the new cooler, the rest of the ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 XT’s board design is unchanged from the ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 PRO. The layout and board component circuitry is identical on both boards, right down to the same Samsung DDR modules"

Now if this is true and we assume the holes for the heatsink are the same, then you can use a heatsink like the Zalman VF700-Cu. But it is never safe to assume things. I'll try to see if I can dig anything else up. 

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Airin replied on Sat, Apr 19 2008 9:42 AM

Thank you for your input/ideas.
We are checking a couple of online stores.  And while the anchoring holes for the heatsink are in the same place as the non-AIW card there is the TV tuner box which takes up the most space.  There is also a notch in the large default heatsink for a capacitor that falls under it. 
We checked a couple of sites (like Zalman) but we couldn't find a product specifically for All-in-Wonder cards - we wrote to them and are still waiting for a reply.  
If anyone who has experience with AiW cards; how long do the fans last?  did you use an after-market heatsink kit?
--

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Mon, Apr 21 2008 1:12 PM

I have another idea. If it is just the fans that are busted. Can you just replace the fans and not the whole heatsink? The heatsinks still cooled effectively when the fans were working right? If so, just find a replacement fan. Or you can just buy a regular fan and try to gut it out of the frame and mount it in the heatsink. 

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,922
Points 24,695
digitaldd replied on Thu, Apr 24 2008 6:41 AM

RyuGTX:

I have another idea. If it is just the fans that are busted. Can you just replace the fans and not the whole heatsink? The heatsinks still cooled effectively when the fans were working right? If so, just find a replacement fan. Or you can just buy a regular fan and try to gut it out of the frame and mount it in the heatsink. 

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro  where the fan died about 2 years ago. I just glued the fan from an old 486/pentium cooler onto the heatsink after removing the 2 screws that held the old fan in place. Also I had to cut the plastic ring which the fan blades were in due to the type of fan in the heatsink I had. Its still running, although a bit louder than the original fan it puts out a little less air than the original fan too. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS