GAO Finds Military Parts on eBay, Craigslist

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,803
Points 1,213,080
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Apr 11 2008 8:07 AM
Let's all hope Iran doesn't read this article, since we know a) they are trolling for F-14 parts, b) this report found some on eBay!

Night-vision cameras and camouflage gear are probably available at your local Wal-Mart. But congressional leaders on Thursday voiced dismay at reports that "sensitive" military-issue equipment is being resold, potentially to terrorists, at Web sites like eBay and Craigslist and suggested new laws are necessary to ban that practice.

Among the dozen items that mostly "undercover" government investigators purchased during a yearlong investigation of those two leading sites were F-14 fighter jet antennas (only Iran currently operates F-14s, the committee noted), night vision goggles, infrared tape worn by troops to "differentiate friend from foe," a complete military-issue Army combat uniform, body armor, and "Meals, Ready to Eat" (MREs). (Click here for the entire Government Accountability Office report (PDF).)

Right now, it's not necessarily illegal to sell those goods, either online or offline, although the military does have regulations restricting how some of them are disposed.

Although it's not illegal to see these parts, as the article says, the actual GAO report indicated a number of items were stolen, which is a totally different matter.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 412
Points 5,250
Lev_Astov replied on Fri, Apr 11 2008 8:30 AM
Yeah, MREs aren't supposed to be resold on ebay and such, but they are really handy for camping and emergencies, so they sell for a lot. I recently noticed a military IR camera off of some aircraft for sale on ebay, actually. Now that's something I'd expect them to get upset about. I wish I'd bought it.

><((((">Lev Astov

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 290
ForumsAdministrator
Iria replied on Fri, Apr 11 2008 8:55 AM
You can find MREs in a lot of places, though. I think the f-14 parts are more worrisome. :-(
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555
willardcw4 replied on Fri, Apr 11 2008 10:19 AM

Ya... i'm more worried about the whole middle eastern countries who hate us are getting our military technology.. ya... f-14 rocket nozzle anyone!? ILL START THE BIDDING AT $0.01! Hah...

Thats pretty crazy... I figured the military had strict regulations on the distribution or disposal of both past and present military technology.. I wouldn't mind having those policies updated to prevent this from happening...

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator
Super Dave replied on Fri, Apr 11 2008 12:12 PM

How else am I supposed to get my F-14 flying again?

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 259
Points 4,555

Super Dave:
How else am I supposed to get my F-14 flying again?

You need an F-14 to fly!?!? Pfft.. some super hero you are! ;)

Dynamically Scaled Oblique Flying Wing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV-eTXIyYYQ

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,494
Points 47,210
ForumsAdministrator

willardcw4:
You need an F-14 to fly!?!? Pfft.. some super hero you are! ;)

SurpriseMy Super Family needs a vacation jet!Travel

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Sat, Apr 12 2008 12:53 AM

It doesn't really matter WHERE stuff like this is being sold -- in this case it made news because its a public site but whether you believe it or not this stuff is constantly going on. People in-charge of the prints for weapons get bribed into making copies, black-market sales of all kinds of illegal substances/weapons...

If anything this is normal -- just unique in the WAY that it is being sold in this case

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

Mmm, MRE's are quite delicious.  In high school I played an airsoft game with some junior marines and they had MRE's for us.  They taste very good, believe it or not. 

Some of the other things are worrying though.  Especially uniforms and identifying tape.

Hello

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 183
Points 3,200
vicaphit replied on Mon, Apr 14 2008 6:37 PM
MREs probably get really discusting after eating them for 2 months in the field
AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT 512Mb, Ultra X3 1000W PSU
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS