Emergency Alerts by SMS Approved

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,710
Points 1,208,340
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Apr 10 2008 9:59 AM

It's always great when we can catch up with China, isn't it?  After all, China used SMS alerts to warn citizens over Typhoon Kaemi in 2006.

The plan stems from the Warning Alert and Response Network Act, a 2006 federal law that requires upgrades to the emergency alert system. The act requires the Federal Communications Commission to develop ways to alert the public about emergencies.

“The ability to deliver accurate and timely warnings and alerts through cellphones and other mobile services is an important next step in our efforts to help ensure that the American public has the information they need to take action to protect themselves and their families prior to, and during, disasters and other emergencies,” the commission chairman, Kevin J. Martin, said after the plan was approved.

Of course, we realize that the delay was not due to tech, but to regulation.  At any rate, don't expect this service to hit before 2010.  And don't worry: you can opt-out if you want.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I'd probably opt out.  Just not a fan of things like that.  My university does this to, and I'm not signed up.  Just yesterday in class they sent out a text about a bomb threat and several students simultaneously reported it to the professor.  Got me out of class 30 mins early.  So I guess it can be helpful.. but if enough other people have it then I'm safe too.Wink

Hello

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Points 2,250
mazuki replied on Mon, Apr 14 2008 11:05 PM
what about people that don't have SMS service? do they get a phone call? i wonder if they will do Alert Emails for those of us who still use them. or perhaps an interruption in youtube videos.
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS