Comcast Hearts BitTorrent

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,100
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Mar 27 2008 10:11 AM
Ah yes, the good news is they are collaborating. The bad news is ... wait for it ...

The deal comes as BitTorrent, which became known for developing software technology widely used to illegally share files, is trying to reinvent itself.

The companies are in talks to collaborate on ways to run BitTorrent's technology more smoothly on Comcast's broadband network, and allow Comcast to transport video files more effectively over its own network in the future, said Tony Warner, Comcast's chief technology officer.

Comcast and BitTorrent have been at odds since the cable operator said it was delaying traffic from BitTorrent at peak times. Legislators and some advocacy groups argued that Comcast's efforts were anticompetitive because peer-to-peer file-sharing companies like BitTorrent, which is popular for downloading videos, compete with Comcast's business of providing pay TV.

Here's the bad news. Rather than throttling P2P traffic, Comcast will throttle ALL traffic for users with "unspecified" high usage. As with anything else Comcastic, we don't know what "high" means.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 12:39 PM

im glad there enbracing them rather than shunning them and comcast throttling high usage customers probably means any body using more than a idle internet connection 

Photobucket
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,677
Points 24,005

I hate Comcast with a passion.  Mostly because they interupt CNN Headline News with a crappy local Comcast program.

Whatever they are up to, it's bad, I'm sure of it.  I can't see them embracing BitTorrent so easily.

Hello

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Thu, Mar 27 2008 10:14 PM
The question is: if they decide to work together how much will it affect non-Comcast users (as they will have MORE of a hand in throttling BT's bandwidth from what I understand) and their respective downloads?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 458
Points 6,985
AjayD replied on Sun, Mar 30 2008 9:05 PM
The only way for me to remotely come close to describing this, without using excessive profanity, is with two words....ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING! This is nothing more than a pathetic attempt by Comcast to circumvent being held accountable for their horrendously prejudice practices towards BitTorrent traffic. BitTorrent isn't really their enemy, rather anything that uses "high" amounts of bandwidth is. If this wasn't obvious to anyone before, then it should be now, given how their current actions demonstrate this so clearly. Rather than single out BitTorrent traffic, which is discriminatory, they chose an indirect approach which ultimately has an even more severe effect.

Essentially anyone who exceeds a predetermined bandwidth usage limit (probably either a daily or monthly limit) will have their DL and UL speeds capped at some undesirable speed far lower than that which they are paying for. Rather than upgrade their ifrastructure and increase their bandwidth capacities they are trying to limit overall traffic. This is a miserable and foolish approach to take. This would be like forcing people who drive on the highway a lot to take surface streets instead, in an attempt to avoid having to add more lanes to the highway. What's equally appalling is that they pretend they are actually doing something that will benefit BitTorrent traffic.

The name Comcast has left a foul taste in my mouth, excuse me while I go gargle with some Listerine.

***** Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted. *****

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,142
Points 14,910
frg1 replied on Sun, Mar 30 2008 9:11 PM

alot of people who run there business from home will use a lot of bandwidth so is it really fair to slow down there internet and cost them money in lost productivty just so comcast can save some money 

Photobucket
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,617
Points 32,625
ice91785 replied on Mon, Mar 31 2008 11:20 AM

frg1:
alot of people who run there business from home will use a lot of bandwidth so is it really fair to slow down there internet and cost them money in lost productivty just so comcast can save some money

Generally if you have even a smaller-sized business (say 30 employees) you get yourself a dedicated line (T1, T3 etc...) as to not have to worry about such things as bandwidth limits and such. Bigger businesses to my knowledge will apply for a range of IPs which they can then subnet across their own network....again not having to worry about any bandwidth but that of their own network congestion

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS