How's this PSU???

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,747
Points 42,815
recoveringknowitall Posted: Tue, Feb 5 2008 8:53 PM

As you can see in my sig my current PSU is only 520w which handles my Ultra just fine, but probably won't be enough juice for Nvidia's next flagship which I plan to upgrade to when it becomes available. I've heard many good things about Fortron and found a really nice model at the egg. LINK

If you have suggestions on other brands/models that you feel are better, lemme know.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 437
Points 6,450
jtm55 replied on Wed, Feb 6 2008 8:07 AM

Hi All,

I've heard pretty good things about Fortron power supplies. Having said that, I prefer 1 single 12V rail as opposed to multiple rails.

ASUS Z7S WS

EVGA 295 GTX

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 RAID 5

Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown

HT Omega Claro

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

mushkin 6GB 3 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Harmon Kardon HK 3490 W/ Energy RC 10

LG W3000H-Bn

SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07

Plextor PX 755 SA

Windows 7 Ultimate

Areca ARC-1210

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 37
Points 545
viperfour replied on Thu, Feb 21 2008 3:30 PM

If your going to spend that much money on a power supply go with a Quality Built one as well.  I have and use PC Power and Cooling 750 watt power supply that I bought when I built my system I have now.  This power Supply use to be $199 when I bought mine but they have come down in price, which actually shocked me when I just looked this up for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

When I was building my system, I wanted a power supply that would stand the test of time plus be able to expand with as I add things to my computer.  Going over lots of reviews on power supplies this one was hands down the winner in my book.  I got my PS last year around mid year.  Mine is the Orange one, but back then they didn't have the two different classifications they do now between the Orange and Black.  You just picked the color you wanted and ordered it.  Also, now you get FOUR PCI-E Connectors for your video cards when back then I got only two as they didn't offer the four connectors back then.  Which is fine for me now.

Here is my system right now. 

I plan on upgrading my video card to either the eVGA 8800 GTS (G92) or the eVGA 8800 GTX (G92) when it comes out.  And upgrading my two WD video editing drives to Seagates 750 GB Sata's.  I "might" go with the 1 TB Seagate Sata's:

My System:
Monitor: 19" Samsung 906CW LCD
CASE: Lian-Li Aluminum PC82
PSU : 750 Watt PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 EPS12V
MOBO: Asus P5W DH Deluxe/WIFI Intel 975X
PROC: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz
RAM : 2 Gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 6400C4
SATA 1: Seagate 400 GB 16 MB cache
SATA 2: 250 GB Western Digital 16 MB cache - Video Editing Drive
SATA 3: 250 GB Western Digital 16 MB cache - Video Editing Drive
IDE 1: 20 GB Western Digital (back-up drive)
IDE 2: Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM Drive
IDE 3: Sony DRU720A DVD-RW Drive
PCI Express x1: [empty]
PCI Express x16 : eVGA Nvidia GeForce 7900GT 256 MB PCI Express
PCI Express x1: [empty]
PCI1: [empty]
PCI Express x16: [empty]
PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
PCI3: Linksys WMP54GS

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 437
Points 6,450
jtm55 replied on Thu, Feb 21 2008 4:11 PM

Hi All,

You have a very nice System right now my friend. 

ASUS Z7S WS

EVGA 295 GTX

HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000 RAID 5

Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown

HT Omega Claro

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX

mushkin 6GB 3 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Harmon Kardon HK 3490 W/ Energy RC 10

LG W3000H-Bn

SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07

Plextor PX 755 SA

Windows 7 Ultimate

Areca ARC-1210

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 160
Points 2,380
werty316 replied on Thu, Feb 21 2008 5:11 PM

Fortron do have some nice quality PSU however if you don't care whether a PSU is modeular or not I recommend that PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W PSU of the Corsair TX750.

There is no god, there is only Chuck Norris.
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 795
Points 13,650
Kamrooz replied on Fri, Feb 22 2008 5:32 AM

Nvidia's next flagship will actually have lower power draw than an ultra. So you're safe, but if you really want to get a new PSU, take viperfour's advice. PC Power and Cooling is the most recognized and quality based PSU's you can get. Their 610 and lower watt silencer psu's are made by seasonic, their 750 and up are made by themselves. Very high quality Tier 1 psu's for a fantastic price. You won't regret it.

2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 2Gb DDR2-667 Kingston FBDimm 150GB Western Digital Raptor 2x 500 Gb Seagate 7200.10 2x 8800 GT SLI Intel D5400XS (Skulltrail) Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Ultra X3 1KW psu 2X Liteon DL DVD-RW Rig courtesy of HotHardware! =D
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

If you're interested in powersupplys I highly recommend the tests which you can find over at DriverHeaven. Trust me! They are very competent and the tests is really good!

Just look at this link: http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?category=18

Greetings! (This my first post ever on this forum b.t.w.)

/Bear Spirit

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,171
Points 32,040
Dev replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 11:32 AM

I know this thread is old, but it was bumped and I wasn't sure if you got a new PSU or not. Anyway for future readers for this thread.

Tips when buying a new power supply.

• A single powerful 12 volt rail is enough. (17+ amps).
  • Modular PSUs are over rated, but can be convenient.
  • Wattage does not give the whole story, efficiency is very important.
  • Always buy from a reputable brand, Seasonic, Enermax etc..

I have never owned an FSP power supply, nor have I read a review of them. So I can't say how good they are.

-Dev

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 862
Points 11,010
RyuGTX replied on Wed, Apr 23 2008 8:41 PM

Dev2:

I know this thread is old, but it was bumped and I wasn't sure if you got a new PSU or not. Anyway for future readers for this thread.

Tips when buying a new power supply.

• A single powerful 12 volt rail is enough. (17+ amps).
  • Modular PSUs are over rated, but can be convenient.
  • Wattage does not give the whole story, efficiency is very important.
  • Always buy from a reputable brand, Seasonic, Enermax etc..

I have never owned an FSP power supply, nor have I read a review of them. So I can't say how good they are.

-Dev

Good points. I just wanted to follow up on what Dev said with a link to a very insightful article. I recommend people to read this and it isn't too long either.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page1.html

There are some other things that the article points out that are good to look out for too. I figured I might as well link the article instead of quoting the whole thing. 

If you think you can’t do something, you’ll never be able to do it. No matter how easy it is.
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

Really good link! I have often wondered about the airflow and how it works inside a PC. Good picture, interesting indeed! I personally knew about SilentPCReview and their focus is strived towards making people aware of the noise which comes from PC:s. I have a high interest when it comes to things like this and even though noise can be pleasant, definitely, it's HOW the noise sounds which makes the experience negative or positive and this is often a question of personal choice. When one is sick one is more more sensitive to noise, although it might be experienced as acceptable when one is in a good health situation.

PSU:s is definitely one of those things which can, at least for me, be experienced as very disturbing, actually. I had a Chieftec powersupply and the sound which came from this powersupply was not very pleasant and I was for a long time not pleased with the noise. I then switched to an Antec Neopower at 480W and it was totally quiet(almost), one was not able to hear much even when the powersupply was under heavy load.

So if you want a silent, but not very cheap powersupply, go for Antec Neopower! Otherwise the new CorsairTX series is great but the noise is a bit higher compaired to the Neopower. It is very energy efficent also. My current CorsairTX at 650W has a effiency which lies at 83 to 84% at my load levels.

/Bear Spirit

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS